Re: [neonixie-l] Re: OPT OUT !!! Amazon devices to automatically share your Internet with neighbors

Message has been deleted

David Pye

May 30, 2021, 11:08:04 AM5/30/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I'm cool with it.

There are all sorts of alarmist articles out and about, but if you look at what it *actually does*, and how much bandwidth it can potentially share, and what can use it, it's minimal.

David

On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 16:06, J Forbes <jfor...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't have any Amazon devices, because I don't want to share personal info like that, with Amazon. I'd be OK sharing it with my neighbors, though.

On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 5:24:17 AM UTC-7 Jon D. wrote:

Alexa users beware...

OPT OUT !!! Amazon devices to automatically share your Internet with neighbors_29-May-2021 | Ars Technica

JJ1

Toby Thain

May 30, 2021, 11:13:34 AM5/30/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 2021-05-30 11:07 a.m., David Pye wrote:
> Personally, I'm cool with it.

I, FOR ONE, WELCOME OUR AMAZONIAN OVERLORDS

> There are all sorts of alarmist articles out and about, but if you look
> at what it *actually does*, and how much bandwidth it can potentially
> share, and what can use it, it's minimal.
>
> David
>
> On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 16:06, J Forbes <jfor...@gmail.com
> <mailto:jfor...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I don't have any Amazon devices, because I don't want to share
> personal info like that, with Amazon. I'd be OK sharing it with my
> neighbors, though.
>
> On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 5:24:17 AM UTC-7 Jon D. wrote:
>

> Alexa users beware...
>
> OPT OUT !!! Amazon devices to automatically share your Internet
> with neighbors_29-May-2021 | Ars Technica
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/amazon-devices-will-soon-automatically-share-your-internet-with-neighbors/
> <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/amazon-devices-will-soon-automatically-share-your-internet-with-neighbors/>
>
> JJ1

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CAOQ6x0F%2BmrXjYXPACF_NCqj1pRSz5Taw_404QfKQKH9n2L3noA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CAOQ6x0F%2BmrXjYXPACF_NCqj1pRSz5Taw_404QfKQKH9n2L3noA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Nicholas Stock

May 30, 2021, 11:29:30 AM5/30/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
What could possibly go wrong???

/s

No google or amazon connected devices here...

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 30, 2021, at 08:13, Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/23b751ed-d1ce-b19c-c96f-650d866205ab%40telegraphics.com.au.

gregebert

May 30, 2021, 11:43:39 AM5/30/21
to neonixie-l
As long as Raspberry Pi's dont get that kind of malware added, I'm pretty safe.

Kevin A.

May 30, 2021, 12:57:16 PM5/30/21
to neonixie-l
Orwell would be rolling in his grave.

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 8:24 AM Jon Jackson <jond...@gmail.com> wrote:

Alexa users beware...

OPT OUT !!! Amazon devices to automatically share your Internet with neighbors_29-May-2021 | Ars Technica

JJ1

newxito

May 30, 2021, 12:58:28 PM5/30/21
to neonixie-l
If you have the wrong settings, a company in Redmond will use your bandwith to update other PCs on the internet... check your "Delivery Optimization" settings...

Mac Doktor

May 30, 2021, 4:40:18 PM5/30/21
to neonixie-l

On May 30, 2021, at 11:29 AM, Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:

What could possibly go wrong???

Dammit, that was supposed to be MY reply.

It's NOT a bad idea in theory. Sadly, history has shown that if there is a way to abuse it someone WILL. I don't need another security issue to worry about.

We've come a long ways from Windows '98 but...I think I'll sit this one out.

On May 30, 2021, at 12:58 PM, newxito <axt...@gmail.com> wrote:

If you have the wrong settings, a company in Redmond will use your bandwith to update other PCs on the internet... check your "Delivery Optimization" settings...

One of the first things I turn off.

Note that I only use Windows 10 to play games. 8D

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

https://www.astarcloseup.com/

“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces. I mean, who is running the science and technology in a democracy if the people don’t know anything about it.”—Carl Sagan to Charlie Rose, May 27, 1996 (Sagan's last interview)

Scott Miller

May 31, 2021, 12:44:16 PM5/31/21
to neonixie-l
Just a question. I'm not familiar with how Amazon handles traceability and did not see an obvious (to me) answer for this situation.  A neighbor/Amazon sidewalk user connects through my Amazon device and does something illegal. Do Amazon's systems indicate that it was done by someone external connected through my system and not me or my family? Do any of you know the specifics about this kind of situation?

David Pye

May 31, 2021, 1:24:55 PM5/31/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is that Amazon isn't simply allowing unfettered mesh internet.

It may allow things like tile autolocation or Alexa searches etc but it isn't intended to allow web browsing/downloads etc.

Scott Miller

Jun 1, 2021, 1:50:04 PM6/1/21
to neonixie-l
Thanks!

gregebert

Jun 1, 2021, 2:12:08 PM6/1/21
to neonixie-l
As far as I know, in order to give bandwidth on your local network to a neighbor's device,  it would require your neighbor's device to obtain access credentials to your network. Despite promises of security, etc, I still feel this is a high-risk, and I certainly would not want that prying into my network. Someone WILL find a way to hack this, and eventually expose passwords to millions of WiFi networks. Worse yet, many people probably use the same password for their home network on other devices.

Toby Thain

Jun 1, 2021, 2:30:49 PM6/1/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 2021-06-01 2:12 p.m., gregebert wrote:
> As far as I know, in order to give bandwidth on your local network to a
> neighbor's device,  it would require your neighbor's device to obtain
> access credentials to your network. Despite promises of security, etc, I

Doesn't it _only_ require your Amazon device to have credentials? (As it
always would when installed!)... Services are offered to external
devices by the Amazon device & without your consent by default, AIUI,
and that is the problem. Correct me if I am wrong.

--Toby

Samuel G. Guss

Jun 1, 2021, 2:53:10 PM6/1/21
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 30-May-21 11:13, the Renowned Toby Thain wrote:
> On 2021-05-30 11:07 a.m., David Pye wrote:
>> Personally, I'm cool with it.
>>
> I, FOR ONE, WELCOME OUR AMAZONIAN OVERLORDS
>
> <snip>

I, FOR ONE, WELCOME OUR AMAZONIAN OVERLADIES!

There, FIFY!