M.A.R.C. Winter Meet, WANG 320SE

Tim Laing

Jan 30, 2018, 1:58:38 PM1/30/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I spent Saturday at The Michigan Antique Radio Club winter meet. The first item I bought was a Sylvania Dekatron for $2. A good start. Well among other goodies I found a Wang Labs 320SE calculator! The electronics unit 3 of the terminals and the innards of a fourth terminal. 11 Nixies per terminal. This uses core memory in the electronics. Out of all the ham fests, swap meets and electronics stores I have been to this is the first one I have ever seen for sale. The seller wanted $100. I offered $75, Sold! ( When I was a kid we played with the Wang Calculators in the science building at ONU where my dad was a professor)
I also bought a very large Weston power station meter (this is cast iron with a back lit milk glass dial) and 2 smaller brass cased Weston mA meters from him. It was a very good meet. I won’t bore the group with the radio related finds. I didn’t take very much cash as I was trying to not spend too much. Thank god for the check book and the kindness of My wife Maria for saying go for it! Tim Laing

Sent from my iPhone

Terry S

Jan 30, 2018, 3:38:12 PM1/30/18
to neonixie-l
Would like to hear about your radio finds as well....

orange_glow_fan

Jan 30, 2018, 6:39:07 PM1/30/18
to neonixie-l

That explains why I didn't find any Nixies!  Someone beat me to them!...

I was selling at the show....couldn't get away from the table much...

Kerry

orange_glow_fan

Jan 30, 2018, 6:49:52 PM1/30/18
to neonixie-l

In the interest of trying to stay on topic..( they glow, some are even orange!!) The owner paid over $600.00 for the Reddy Kilowatt bulb!

This display of Aerolux bulbs took first place in the open division at the M.A.R.C show, Saturday.
If there is any interest I can post a few pictures of radios that caught my attention at the show.

GastonP

Jan 31, 2018, 10:03:16 AM1/31/18
to neonixie-l
As it seems nobody cared to explain you the house rules in detail, I will do that...

Photos or it didn't happen :D

I wouldn't mind reading on your radio related finds. If they have glowing bugs inside, it's better, you know... but stick strictly to the basic rule above ;)

Cheers!
Message has been deleted

orange_glow_fan

Jan 31, 2018, 6:36:00 PM1/31/18
to neonixie-l

Ah..glowing things inside. I shall endeavor to follow the rules....

Nick

Jan 31, 2018, 8:19:08 PM1/31/18
to neonixie-l
Lovely. Looks just like our AudioJumble which happens twice a year near our UK house.

AJ is huge - people come from all over the world for it - I've sold there before - most of my stuff was bought by Japanese who just love British HiFi (I was selling a lot of Quad kit).

http://www.audiojumble.co.uk/previousevents.htm

Nick

Terry S

Jan 31, 2018, 8:27:20 PM1/31/18
to neonixie-l
Looks like a nice meet! I have a soft spot for those little RCA portables myself.

Terry

Nick

Feb 1, 2018, 2:37:59 AM2/1/18
to neonixie-l
Personally, I go for the little Roberts R66 portables and similar from the mid-'50s. Also like 1940s & 50s small Bakelite radios like the Bush DAC10s and DAC90s/90As.

Terry S

Feb 1, 2018, 8:24:06 AM2/1/18
to neonixie-l
And I have one of each of those as well!

Nick

Feb 4, 2018, 2:08:30 AM2/4/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Little demonstration - A Robert R66 that I restored to give to an artist friend for his 60th birthday last year - the radio was made in 1957 (year of his birth - you can check via the serial number) and so were all the valves (all Mullard, 1957 date codes).

Playing a YouTube Monty Python sketch from 1969 via a media server over an AMT 3000 AM pantry transmitter via a wireless Raspberry Pi with an IQaudIO DAC+ driving it.

Squeezebox->Vortexbox/YouTube->Max2Play/RPi->IQaudIO DAC+->AMT-3000 pantry transmitter on 702kHz->Roberts R66

Roberts R66 playing a Monty Python sketch (apologies for the shaky camera work...)

Nick

Terry S

Feb 4, 2018, 11:04:03 AM2/4/18
to neonixie-l
Nice Nick!

I don't have a Roberts, they are scarce on this side of the pond. I do have a DAC10 and a DAC90 (Actually the rarer export version EBS 3A). Also an Ultra T401 that I really like.

They are among my collection of several hundred tube sets and about as many transistors....

Particularly proud of my collection of Tesla Talismans (Talismen?). All 4 cabinet styles.

If you have any spares or breakers, I could use a better dial bezel for the DAC10.

Terry

John Smout

Feb 4, 2018, 11:46:39 AM2/4/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

On 4 Feb 2018, at 16:04, Terry S <tschw...@gmail.com> wrote:

If you have any spares or breakers, I could use a better dial bezel for the DAC10.

As far as I recall, the flat dial fits directly against the cabinet, there is no bezel - what part are you after? I know someone with tons of DAC spares.

Regards,

John S

Terry S

Feb 4, 2018, 2:19:08 PM2/4/18
to neonixie-l
That's true of the DAC 90 but not true of the DAC 10, please google the picture.. It's an ivory plastic bezel surrounding the dial glass, held on with 4 screws.

DAC 10

Thanks

Terry

John Smout

Feb 4, 2018, 3:32:07 PM2/4/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

On 4 Feb 2018, at 19:19, Terry S <tschw...@gmail.com> wrote:

That's true of the DAC 90 but not true of the DAC 10, please google the picture.. It's an ivory plastic bezel surrounding the dial glass, held on with 4 screws.

DAC 10

Thanks

Terry

In that case, my friend does not have a spare one, I already asked him.

John S

Terry S

Feb 4, 2018, 3:55:41 PM2/4/18
to neonixie-l
Thanks for checking, John.

John Smout

Feb 4, 2018, 4:07:58 PM2/4/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
My friend’s den is a little like going back in time. He’s repaired dozens of DAC10s and DAC90s, I am surprised he did not have your part as a spare.

Regards, John S

Nick

Feb 4, 2018, 9:17:41 PM2/4/18
to neonixie-l
That white bezel often cracks in the corners and discolours. The DAC10 runs quite hot - I'm not sure what plastic it's made of (not Bakelite) but it's pretty crude stuff and gets very brittle, as do the buttons. It's also difficult to clean without damaging it - almost everyone smoked in those days and the white plastic was often filthy.

Many DAC10s were distributed by a charity called "British Wireless for the Blind Fund" which supplied DAC10s as they had button preset tuning and were easy to use. The charity was set up after the second world war due to the number of blind ex-service personnel returning.

When I was restoring one one years ago, it had one of the charity's lovely labels on it but in very poor condition. John S. remade the graphics beautifully and I used that to print into a water transfer sheet to make a new one.

Nick

Terry S

Feb 4, 2018, 9:51:06 PM2/4/18
to neonixie-l
The radio was shipped to me from the UK, it was pristine until then. Poor packing caused the bezel to crack cleanly in half. I've glued it and it's not bad, but I'll continue to look for a better example.

Terry

Nick

Feb 4, 2018, 10:03:52 PM2/4/18
to neonixie-l
The bezel is always the first to fail. 10s of 1000s of these were made, so there are spares out there.

There are two UK-centric vintage radio forums worth asking on:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php

and

http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/forum/index.php

Both are full of helpful folk.