Can’t stop coloring tubes!

Nicholas Stock

Aug 29, 2019, 6:22:06 PM8/29/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
DR2000’s. They actually look really good with a filter!

IMG_1035.JPG

Dylan Distasio

Aug 29, 2019, 6:24:43 PM8/29/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Wow, those look great!

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019, 6:22 PM Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:
DR2000’s. They actually look really good with a filter!

Sent from my iPhone

martin martin

Aug 29, 2019, 7:01:26 PM8/29/19
to neonixie-l
There's nothing as nice as a red filament!

Jens Boos

Aug 30, 2019, 3:16:33 AM8/30/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com, Nicholas Stock

This looks fantastic, congrats!

Cheers
Jens

Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> hat am 30. August 2019 um 00:21 geschrieben:

DR2000’s. They actually look really good with a filter!

Dekatron42

Aug 30, 2019, 8:31:42 AM8/30/19
to neonixie-l
Nice!

Is it easy to remove the paint if they need to have a new coating?

Are other colors available?

/Martin

GastonP

Aug 30, 2019, 8:52:08 AM8/30/19
to neonixie-l
They look really nice. IMO way better than without the filter.

Nicholas Stock

Aug 30, 2019, 9:54:11 AM8/30/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
There are a few colours that work well. Orange can look good, yellow not so much as it washes out nixie filaments. I tried blue once and it was awful. I think I will try purple next but need to get the mix right. The first attempt there was way too opaque and I couldn’t see the digits!

Removing the paint is pretty straightforward....a sharp blade and a little bit of solvent and they’re clear again, but the paint is very durable....much like the original stuff they used to use.

Sent from my iPhone

Dekatron42

Aug 30, 2019, 10:22:32 AM8/30/19
to neonixie-l
Thanks, nice to know.

Do you know if the paint will withstand higher temperatures like on ordinary vacuum tubes (not white glowing power tubes but ordinary audio/computer types like 12AT17)?

/Martin

On Friday, 30 August 2019 15:54:11 UTC+2, Pramanicin wrote:
There are a few colours that work well. Orange can look good, yellow not so much as it washes out nixie filaments. I tried blue once and it was awful. I think I will try purple next but need to get the mix right. The first attempt there was way too opaque and I couldn’t see the digits!

Removing the paint is pretty straightforward....a sharp blade and a little bit of solvent and they’re clear again, but the paint is very durable....much like the original stuff they used to use.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 30, 2019, at 05:31, Dekatron42 <martin....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Nice!
>
> Is it easy to remove the paint if they need to have a new coating?
>
> Are other colors available?
>
> /Martin

Nicholas Stock

Aug 30, 2019, 10:37:26 AM8/30/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Should do. The instructions actually call for baking it at 160 F or something like that to make it harden and permanent, so a tube that gets hot would be ideal I think.

Sent from my iPhone
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/9e7c0bfd-bd60-43f9-81a3-a47aa9a2160b%40googlegroups.com.

Mac Doktor

Aug 30, 2019, 4:17:01 PM8/30/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 30, 2019, at 9:54 AM, Nicholas Stock <nick...@gmail.com> wrote:

There are a few colours that work well. Orange can look good, yellow not so much as it washes out nixie filaments. I tried blue once and it was awful. I think I will try purple next but need to get the mix right. The first attempt there was way too opaque and I couldn’t see the digits!

Because they use incandescent tungsten filaments Numitrons emit continuous spectrum blackbody radiation instead of the much more discrete wavelengths of a phosphor, LED or ionized gas. They have a relatively low color temperature, probably similar to small Christmas lights. When using colored filters the brightness and perceived color varies enormously as there is lots of yellow, almost as much orange, less green (and red), and a small amount of blue. Violet is almost nil. "Purple" would actually be magenta, a mix of blue and red.

Take a look at this chart:

Notice that there's more red than orange and yellow yet red looks much dimmer. This is because the human eye's sensitivity drops off rapidly as the wavelength increases towards infrared. The same is true of the blue end but there's not that much blue to begin with.

A friend of mine bought some lights with purplish paint on them and of course when she plugged them in they turned pink because there was much more red than blue. I have one set of lights in my collection that are true violet. You have to be in a dark room to even see them but by golly...

I collect old Xmas lights and custom paint my own modern strings to get unique colors so I'm very familiar with this situation. My bubble light tree has seven strings of 50 hand painted turquoise lights on it. The unlit color is more aqua. The tree itself is only about three feet tall and in diameter. A "full size" tree would require at least a couple thousand bulbs to get the same effect.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes."—Roy Batty, Blade Runner

John Rehwinkel

Aug 31, 2019, 9:28:50 AM8/31/19
to neonixie-l
> A friend of mine bought some lights with purplish paint on them and of course when she plugged them in they turned pink because there was much more red than blue. I have one set of lights in my collection that are true violet. You have to be in a dark room to even see them but by golly...

Oh wow, I would love to see those! Hmm, your call sign is in 4-land so it's possible we're not too far apart.

- John

Nicholas Stock

Aug 31, 2019, 11:53:29 AM8/31/19
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Useful info Terry, thanks! I'm going to try some different colors....stay tuned for some funky looking tubes!

Bill Notfaded

Sep 1, 2019, 1:19:37 PM9/1/19
to neonixie-l
Terry is right about the numitrons... Often filters were used to color them historically. The DH/DR20x0 are my favorites. I just got a bundle of 50 IV-9 Russian tubes too to play with this past week... They seem like babies compared to the other big ones. So easy to drive with lower voltage is what I like about them. Since they're seven segment you can sorta do alphanumeric too!

Bill

Michail Wilson

Sep 1, 2019, 3:19:58 PM9/1/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
You're as bad as me.

I probably drove the price up after buying well over 600 of them (iv-9).
I would like to try the coloring as well.

Michail Wilson
206-920-6312

Michail Wilson

Sep 1, 2019, 3:49:37 PM9/1/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Large lot of electronics on craigslist for only $180 if you're in Oregon.
Not my sale.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/d/banks-rack-mount-dmms/6968556139.html

Michail

martin martin

Sep 1, 2019, 4:26:24 PM9/1/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Really not a bad price even if 1/2 are bad !

Bill Notfaded

Sep 1, 2019, 6:50:49 PM9/1/19
to neonixie-l
The hp8300A has nixie tubes I have two of them.  If it's got AC and low ohms option they're pretty nice if working.  The push buttons often get messed up and are hard to repair but if it's working can be pretty accurate considering the age.

Bill

MichaelB

Sep 1, 2019, 7:34:53 PM9/1/19
to neonixie-l
Looks really nice Nick! Like they were made for it! Is that the Vitrail #16 Orange you used?

Bill Notfaded

Sep 1, 2019, 8:16:42 PM9/1/19
to neonixie-l
Yeah what is the exact dye color you used Nick?  I love those tubes and all the numitrons.  Another of my favorites are the IV-13 "queen" numitrons.

Bill

IMG_20190901_171043.jpg

Bill Notfaded

Sep 1, 2019, 8:53:45 PM9/1/19
to neonixie-l
SomeoneJust reminded me... My 8300A are fluke not HP that are in the picture on Craigslist!  Here are my two 8300's.  The buttons can be tricky to fix.  One has a button that wants to fall out so I put some painters tape over it to keep it from falling out.  Both of mine have the AC and low testing option boards.

Bill

IMG_20190901_171151.jpg

Nicholas Stock

Sep 1, 2019, 11:30:47 PM9/1/19
to 'Greg P' via neonixie-l
Here's what I used..

Diluted 4:1 with mineral spirits (4 parts paint, 1 part mineral spirits.)

Nick