Can I filter on Tags?

Grant

May 17, 2018, 11:40:40 AM5/17/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Tags are a really good idea, but I would need to be able to easily search/filter on just the tag field as a first step to making them actually useful.  I probably can do it via the ' advanced'  tab in Filter but what is way too many steps to be able efficiently interact with my data.

MOK | MATSURU

May 17, 2018, 11:37:30 PM5/17/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
​Hi Grant,

  I assume you mean Text Tag?

  I think the best way is to create a VIEW to group by TextTag.

  This is similar to how we use group by Contexts. :-)​

  Anyway, I have not use this feature yet. Although i believe it is a powerful feature that I want to dive in but not yet. simply because I am still waiting for a way to effectively manage TextTag. Preferably somehting like the Context manager or AutoComplete while typing function. This is to avoid spelling mistakes and create lots of confusion. :-)

On Thu, 17 May 2018 at 23:40, Grant <gran...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tags are a really good idea, but I would need to be able to easily search/filter on just the tag field as a first step to making them actually useful.  I probably can do it via the ' advanced'  tab in Filter but what is way too many steps to be able efficiently interact with my data.

MG

May 18, 2018, 2:46:07 AM5/18/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Hi all,

I do agree.

What if we would use Text Tag included in Context Manager, as the same way we include on one another.

I mean, what if we could include Text Tag in a specific context?

I know that a workaround for a task delegation would be to write something in Notes, but in my opinion it would (maybe) worth to associate (include) Text Tags in some context, p.ex:

@Home include #Kids; #Wife (something I do with them)
@Computer include #Internet; #Software

@ - Context
# - Text Tag

Even though I use hashtags it does not need to be like that, only to exist the tag itself.

This one could be possible, but not only, to filter tags and to know what they mean in a certain context.

I hope it makes sense.

BR

M.

MOK | MATSURU

May 18, 2018, 3:09:29 AM5/18/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
MG,

  good idea~! Using TextTag with a #. #TextTag

  This way by searching #, we get all the task listed with #TextTag.

  Or we can use other symbols to represent other things, like >PersonName or $PaymentDue

  a good workaround.

  btw, i just notice that the search filter comes with checkboxes, 1 of them is for TextTag. :-)

Grant

May 18, 2018, 4:12:08 AM5/18/18
to MyLifeOrganized
MOK,

Great catch, the search text box check box.  That works for me just fine for what I asked - which was to be able to see tasks with a specific tag with minimal work.

As an aside, I think tags should evolve into something similar as Context as far as filtering, views, management.  But then they would be the same as Contexts I guess... so its a tough call, but worth debating.

btw I use a whole group of pre-cursors to words I use as tags, go give them more meaning
for example
  • #is for projects,
  • ! is an area of responsibility,
  • % is for routines,
  • : is for people
  • > is for a source of information (eg >Web and
  • < is for my generated output formats (eg Notes,
On Friday, May 18, 2018 at 9:09:29 AM UTC+2, MOK | MATSURU wrote:
MG,