Advance Filter: subfilters, how-to?

Grant

Nov 30, 2021, 8:56:48 AM11/30/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Hi,  I can not get my head around how to add subfilters in the Advanced Filter.  When I create a top level filter, and click on the 'subfilter'  button to the right, the conditions of the top-level filter disappear, and only the 'AND/OR' remains.  If I try to edit that, I only get the option to precede it with 'NOT' and maybe some other conditions.  The parameters are gone, eg 'is starred'.

The HELP file contains no details on using the Advance Filter, so I have come here for help, or a pointer to better instructions.

Thanks!
Grant

Dwight Arthur

Nov 30, 2021, 10:31:48 AM11/30/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Here's the brief answer, I hope this helps. If not, write back and ask for the step-by-step directions

You almost got it. The missing piece is that you need a rule whose only function is to determine whether the tree of rules below it will be ORed or ANDed to any other rules. So, create a subrule, leave it essentially empty, and then put your sub filters at the next level down
-Dwight

Michael Emerald, CFA

Dec 1, 2021, 6:34:46 AM12/1/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

Hello Grant.

Without getting too detailed, here’s how I edit them.  When you click the “add subfilter” button to the right, you are creating a new kind of filter, a filter GROUP.  Within the new group, you can add as many filters as you like, combining them as AND/OR as desired.  Finally, remaining is to specify how that new group relates to the other conventional filters which you are acquainted with.

It took me a while to get used to them, but once I did they became simple to use, except for cases with complicated filter conditions.

BTW, I also use those groups to combine similar filter conditions.  E.g., I put all my text tag conditions into one sub-filter, all my flag conditions into one sub-filter.  That way the overall filter looks cleaner.  In this example a sub-filter is unnecessary.  But I group similar filters rather than have 10 or so lines of filters.  This way I have two filter groups, each with 5 similar conditions: flags and text tags.

Take Care,

Michael Emerald, CFA

Performance Business Design

Owner, Business Strategy Consultant

M. Leigh Bender

Dec 1, 2021, 11:59:09 AM12/1/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Check out this thread from Dwight. It helped me tremendously.

Leigh

--
Respectfully,

Leigh
Message has been deleted

Dwight Arthur

Dec 3, 2021, 3:03:23 PM12/3/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

On December 3, 2021 01:56:27 Grant <gran...@gmail.com> wrote:

'basically deletes the rule"

Not actually true. If a rule contains filters and then becomes the root for a group of subrules, the filters are hidden. You can get them back