Advanced Filtering rules - where can we find out more?

John Smith

Dec 4, 2014, 9:32:41 AM12/4/14
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Where can we find out more about the Advanced Filtering rules?
There doesn't seem to be much in the either the MyLifeOrganized User's Guide.PDF or in the help that comes with the Windows application.

Specifically I want to understand
- How the AND and OR logic on successive lines works.
(Which wins when you have AND and OR and AND and OR etc)
- What "Sub-rule" is and in what way it's different.
- What each of the properties to chose from actually is

- Plus some discussion of what the underlying overall process is - what's really going on...
... particularly when creating a view at different level of parent/child hierarchy are used?

With thanks

Dwight Arthur

Dec 5, 2014, 3:57:01 AM12/5/14
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

It’s my opinion that the only available documentation is what’s in the user manual, which I recognize is inadequate. The rules syntax (also used for autoformat) is idiosyncratic and a little bizarre. “subbrule” is a way to group tests in order to force a particular order of operations. It’s like parentheses.

a AND

<blank rule> AND

  Subrule: b OR

  Subrule: c OR

Translates to

(a AND (b OR c))

Note that for subrules to make any sense, their parent must be blank.

Note that if you collapse everything in the rules editor, it will come out more readable, with parentheses and with unused operators (like the OR after “c”) hidden.

A view editor for Android was released to beta a long time ago (maybe 2 years) that was less powerful but also far far easier to use and understand. The current Android beta still has this capability. It’s lame duck, though because something better (I think) has been developed for IOS and will be ported to Android v2. So any views you build in the current editor will be throw-away. But I’d recommend that you try it anyhow, because it’s an easier way to learn what the filters mean and how they work.

Most of the filters are pretty self explanatory: IsFolder is about whether the current item is a folder, “is true” means yes, it’s a folder and “is false” means its not a folder. Maybe you would like to name a few that you find problematic and tell us.

I don’t follow your question about different levels of the hierarchy. Which hierarchy and what do you perceive as different?

-Dwight

Stéph

Dec 10, 2014, 3:59:31 PM12/10/14
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Hello John,
Dwight helped me out with rules hierarchy in a previous thread. A search for "advanced filter" should find it.

Stéphane

John Smith

Dec 10, 2014, 7:10:13 PM12/10/14
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks both.

Steph - Google says:
>  Results: about 158 for "advanced filter"
(!)

Less urgent now in any case due to my having since then now done a couple of pivots, but I shall revert to this when in due course I shall no doubt be needing advanced filters again...

MG

Apr 12, 2016, 4:35:39 PM4/12/16
to MyLifeOrganized
Dwight,

Regarding MLO Android V2, why can't we re-edit the rules in Advanced Filters?

We only have the chance to delete it and redefine the filter. Why?

Yet what happened to the sub-rules in Advanced filters?

Dwight Arthur

Apr 12, 2016, 8:56:01 PM4/12/16
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Hi, (Mario?)
I wish that I could point you to an Android users guide that would answer all of your questions,  but I don't think one has been written yet.

To edit an advanced filter, tap it to select and highlight it, then swipe it right to left.

To add a subrule first add a group and then add subrules under the group.
-- Sent with K-@ Mail - the evolution of emailing.

MG

Apr 20, 2016, 1:47:07 AM4/20/16
to MyLifeOrganized
Hi Dwight,

Thank your for your help.

I agree with you, there would have a MLO Android V2 manual.