how does importance work in sorting

Jim Peet

Sep 21, 2018, 1:25:25 AM9/21/18
to MyLifeOrganized
I am the computed score for sorting.  Since the documentation says that the importance of a subtask is only supposed to be how important it is to the parent task (i.e, relative importance within the task, not an absolute measure of importance), I expected that any change in the importance of a subtask would move the task up down relative to other subtasks.  But instead, it moves it up and down relative to other tasks,not just the other subtasks to the same parent.  This makes it some weird mix of relative and absolute importance.  Can anyone explain this?

Jeff Smith

Sep 21, 2018, 9:57:51 AM9/21/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Think of the parent as the general idea of what you need to do, and the children are the next steps. Rather than a parent attribute affecting the child, it is more like waiting to do the child task supercedes waiting to do the parent. Parents just don't show up yet, not active. The child has all its own attributes such as importance and urgency but there is an influence by inheriting certain attributes from the parent as child is created. Experiment with what is inherited, I don't remember.

Once the attributes of a child are set, then it doesn't consider how important the parent was.

I hope this helps. It can be hard to see but it was carefully planned out and I'm glad it always works the same even on different platforms.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018, 23:25 Jim Peet <j...@fairfieldinv.com> wrote:
I am the computed score for sorting.  Since the documentation says that the importance of a subtask is only supposed to be how important it is to the parent task (i.e, relative importance within the task, not an absolute measure of importance), I expected that any change in the importance of a subtask would move the task up down relative to other subtasks.  But instead, it moves it up and down relative to other tasks,not just the other subtasks to the same parent.  This makes it some weird mix of relative and absolute importance.  Can anyone explain this?

Jeff Smith

Sep 21, 2018, 10:07:20 AM9/21/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I could be wrong on my last post since I didn't read about it all but I just experiment and it does get complicated to tell what

zel...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2018, 10:23:50 PM9/23/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Download the 2018 manual PDF from this page. Go to page 17, section 3.22. Follow the links from there down the rabbit hole. The best I can get out of it is that you base it on the importance of the parent, which can have its own importance if it is the child of another. So, you can have recursive importances.

zel...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2018, 2:58:10 AM9/26/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Had an email back and forth, so decided to add this:

Any way to get a larger slider to control it more accurately?

Somewhere along the way I pulled out these values in MLO 4:

Importance

min 0 blue

less 1-40 blue

little 41-80 blue

normal 81-120 gray

more 121-160 red

a lot 161-189 red

max 200 red

Urgency

min 0 blue

less 1-40 blue

little 41-80 blue

normal 81-120 gray

more 121-160 red

a lot 161-189 red

max 200 red

If you click on the slider, you can increment it by one using the right and left arrow keys.

Jeff Smith

Sep 26, 2018, 8:41:13 PM9/26/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

Sorry I was replying to sender and had forgot how to reply to list on Thunderbird..

So yeah these numbers are useful if you can see what the current number value is on the slider. I have MLO 2.5; can you see the number on later versions or something?