What Should I Do About Resources Library (Bookmarks)

c.k. lester

Oct 23, 2018, 1:50:22 AM10/23/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Do any of you use MLO to store bookmarks? I don't want it to clutter up my tasks, but it's nice to see them right there in my MLO interface under a (for example) "Personal>Education>Business" folder.

Maybe I should just use another tool for managing a library of resources that I eventually want to reference at some point in the future, but does anybody use MLO for this?

I do have a "ToDo" list that does track resources I actually want to utilize in order because of on-going educational requirements or needs, but some of them are just URLs.

Valerio Minervini

Oct 23, 2018, 3:20:48 AM10/23/18
to MyLifeOrganized
I use MLO (also) for this. Personally, I have a lot of stuff to review (articles, videos, podcasts etc.) and I'm afraid that at some point MLO gives me an error by not allowing me to sync with my Cloud File anymore because I have too many tasks. If I'm not mistaken, MLO has a limit of about a thousand tasks at most per Cloud File (it's too little for people who powerfully use MLO - like me).

Stéph

Oct 23, 2018, 4:11:32 AM10/23/18
to MyLifeOrganized
I've been using MLO folders to store information and links related to projects, though not for _all_ my browser bookmarks. Information related to a specific task tends to be stored in the task note, though.

More recently at work, I've been switching over to OneNote for my note taking. Because we have Office 365 accounts, I can share notebooks with colleagues and clients and I can synch a notebook with my iPad, to take meeting minutes and sketch ideas. I can copy OneNote items tagged as tasks into MLO, but I'd love to find a way to do automate that. Wouldn't it be good if we could drag a OneNote ToDo into MLO and for it to set up as an MLO task with a link back to the OneNote paragraph. Even better if there could be a way to synchronise the task status (and notes).

Stéphane

zel...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2018, 4:33:27 PM10/23/18
to MyLifeOrganized
I use Zotero for this. Has a chrome plugin, tagging, local save, etc.

SRhyse

Oct 23, 2018, 6:09:47 PM10/23/18
to MyLifeOrganized
I used to a long time ago, but I don’t recommend it. MLO’s great for storing many a thing, but it becomes less effective the more you clutter it up with. I keep a complex and dynamic Wiki of things between various apps like Trunk Notes and Notebooks on iOS, both of which are amazing. I use both of those other apps for really complex projects too. The form your resources library might take can still be a flat list if you’d like, or something that stores what you intend to read. I don’t recommend making it really bulky though. It’s really easy to pile crap up on lists like that and never get around to any of it, then you waste more time just managing the list of more books than you can ever read. If it’s for things you’ve read, however, that’s another story.

You can also store things in the notes on a task in MLO. I actually find it’s usually better to err on the side of less tasks rather than more. Even though MLO can manage them all well, it creates administrative overhead. Hell, sometimes for projects I’ll just make them a task marked as project and won’t even have subtasks because a lot of times the main point is to remind me that I have to work on the project, and what I’d need to do on a project can at times change so quickly based on what was done before that there’s no value in making discrete steps beforehand. The only time that tends to go well for me is if it’s an entirely mechanical thing that I likely didn’t need to overly plan in a minute way anyway.

Chris Randle

Oct 24, 2018, 2:24:30 AM10/24/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

On 2018-10-23 08:20, Valerio Minervini wrote:
> I use MLO (also) for this. Personally, I have a lot of stuff to review
> (articles, videos, podcasts etc.) and I'm afraid that at some point MLO
> gives me an error by not allowing me to sync with my Cloud File anymore
> because I have too many tasks. If I'm not mistaken, MLO has a limit of
> about a thousand tasks at most per Cloud File (it's too little for
> people who powerfully use MLO - like me).

I (ab)use MLO to store *everything*, completed tasks, reference material
as well as active tasks.

I hesitate to tell you this because somebody will tell me to tidy my
bedroom, but the properties show:

Total to-do items: 9687
Items with notes: 4934
Notes total size (kb): 5665
Max notes size (kb): 169

Completed tasks: 6689

That file (and a couple of others I use) cloud sync without a problem -
it usually takes about 5 seconds. The desktop program opens in about a
second (literally) and runs, filters, searches as snappily as it did
when I first started using the program. The only noticeable penalty is
on my Android phone when it takes about a minute to open the file. After
that though, everything is pretty much instantaneous.

--
Chris Randle

https://www.avg.com

Valerio Minervini

Oct 24, 2018, 10:08:50 AM10/24/18
to MyLifeOrganized

Hi Chris, thank you for your reply.
Good to know. A few days ago MLO Support told me that they don't recommend to synchronize more than 2-3 thousand tasks per Cloud File because that may give sync issues.

Wallace Gilbraith

Oct 24, 2018, 1:03:52 PM10/24/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

My cloud file has 20,800 tasks, and works OK

Every so often I look to trim it back to under 20,000

Andrei Bacean

Oct 24, 2018, 1:31:20 PM10/24/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Wow Wallace! Do u sync the cloud to your phone? Is the phone responsive enough?

Wallace Gilbraith

Oct 24, 2018, 6:08:55 PM10/24/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I'm careful about whether I'm working on Windows when I'm sitting down or on Android when I'm up and about
Synching when I switch platforms takes about a minute (not that I've actually timed it)
MLO on the phone works plenty quick enough

- sent from my phone, please excuse brevity -

- please mail me at ho...@gilbraith.co.uk -

Sent from BlueMail

Oct 25, 2018, 10:30:54 AM10/25/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
All in the one file

I timed the syncs
It varies depending on the number of changes, but yesterday's was
Windows-cloud - 02:30
Android-cloud - 01:30