Do not display checkbox in MLO for Windows

domas.vo...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2018, 4:55:06 AM9/20/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Hi,
I'm using MLO also for references and information storing, so for many items checkbox simply doesn't make sense (there's never a case when I would like to "complete" an information item).
Is it possible to remove checkbox from a task?

I have tried to play with Conditional formatting, but couldn't do it.
For example, if "Folder" property is selected, the checkbox disappears and turns into a folder icon.
However, when I tried to replicate this using "Hide the branch in To-Do" property (or a Context) it didn't work.

Am I the only one who doesn't like to see check boxes near non task items?

Thank you!

Regards,
Domas

Andrei Bacean

Sep 20, 2018, 10:27:52 AM9/20/18
to MyLifeOrganized
hi
you are right. you can transform the checkbox to a folder icon.
then you can replace the folder icon with a blank icon using the Automatic Formating.
see the attached image for example.
(also i've uploaded the blank 16x16 icon too).
Br
Andrew

folder without icons.PNG

четверг, 20 сентября 2018 г., 11:55:06 UTC+3 пользователь domas.vo...@gmail.com написал:
blank-transparent icon 16x16.ico
Message has been deleted

domas.vo...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2018, 5:23:36 AM9/24/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Thanks!
Just could you detail the process a bit more?
How can I keep both Folders with their icons and other tasks without an icon? How should I set up the Automatic formatting? (My current requirement is that "Hide the branch in To-Do" tasks would have no icon.
Thank you!

Regards,
Doams

Andrei Bacean

Sep 26, 2018, 3:34:40 AM9/26/18
to MyLifeOrganized
hi
Only "folders" can have a blank (invisible) icon.
So, if you wish to hide the checkmark, you have to convert the task to a folder, and then substitute the folder icon with a transparent icon.

steps:
first download the blank-transparent icon 16x16.ico file from the above message.

then go to tools/options/automatic formatting
add a rule to the top of the list

condition: HideInTodo And IsFolder

click icon button > manage icons > add >  choose the transparent icon from the harddrive. press ok to close the Manage Icons Library. Select the icon. press ok.

Be sure to set the Icon Position to 0.

press ok to close and save the rule which you created.

That's it.

Br
Andrew

Andrei Bacean

Sep 26, 2018, 6:46:05 AM9/26/18
to MyLifeOrganized
You can also try to edit the default autoformatiing rule "folder".

The appropiate conditions for your example are:
IsFolder is True
and
HideInToDo is false.

In this case, all hiden Folders won't have icons at all.
Br
Andrew

domas.vo...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2018, 9:22:54 AM9/26/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Thank you!
I really like that I can specify the exact conditions on when to display no icon. However the fact that I need to mark the task as a folder is slightly inconvenient.
I'll see if I can include this into my workflow.
Thanks!

Trevor Peck

Sep 26, 2018, 9:42:34 AM9/26/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't have to be a folder. Any attribute will work, just set the filter to whatever you use to designate reference material.

 For example,  I use flags for "status" and if a task has the status "Reminder" or "Reference", then my auto-formatting rules catch it and no check box appears.

 Of course, I didn't think of this until this thread, so thank you very much to you and to Andrew for helping me with this. For me, it solved a problem bigger than visuals - many of my reminders are things I am trying to incorporate into my life. Inspirational quotes, things I want to remember about important persons, etc. These are for review only, so I mark them reviewed when I read them, and they reappear based on the review schedule - but I found that sometimes when I read them I would mark them complete. Thus they would disappear from my life completely. Luckily I noticed - but did I notice the first time I did it... or are some gone forever? I don't know. But after this thread I know I won't mark any (more?) reminders complete accidentally. My thanks!
 - Trevor.

Trevor Peck

Sep 26, 2018, 9:50:53 AM9/26/18
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I think I've got this wrong - it looks like it does need to be a folder. But you don't have to filter by that fact. Consider me confused.

 - Trevor.

Andrei Bacean

Sep 26, 2018, 11:32:33 AM9/26/18
to MyLifeOrganized
hi again.
It is inconvenient because of the need to make several steps to hide the checkmark?
If so, you can use hotkeys to automate the process.
So, to hide the task: Alt+E
To convert it to a folder: Shift+Alt+F

If you are going to use this trick for a long time, you can trigger these hotkeys with only one key press.
To do that you need first to install the autohotkey app (autohotkey.com).
And second, you need a small script which will automate the hotkey pressing.
If you need any help with the script, please post back.

Br
Andrew