Need printer help

Tom Stanley

Mar 25, 2022, 1:08:37 PM3/25/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Have a Brother usb printer installed on a D3 Linux machine.  All printing works great on the Linux side, but I get unexpected results printing from the Pick side - extra blank pages, blank pages only or nothing at all.

This printer is to print text only to replace a Okidata 182.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

From Linux side:
lp-stat -s
    device for F4: usb://Brother/HL-2240%20series

lpstat -t
    printer F4 is idle. enable since Thu 24 Mar 2022 04:14:28

From Pick side
LISTPTR
   TYPE       Number     Output          Page       Dev or            Status
                                        Queues        Skip         Line#
    Serial       4                  4                    1             124                inactive

Within proc for User-Coldstart
startshp 4,3,1,s124,lp.unix,(lpr -PF4)

Wols Lists

Mar 25, 2022, 1:48:41 PM3/25/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 24/03/2022 23:38, Tom Stanley wrote:
> Have a Brother usb printer installed on a D3 Linux machine.  All
> printing works great on the Linux side, but I get unexpected results
> printing from the Pick side - extra blank pages, blank pages only or
> nothing at all.
>
> This printer is to print text only to replace a Okidata 182.

I'm guessing the printer is set to PCL5? Or equivalent. It's been a long
time but there's a whole bunch of printer settings, in the printer, in
the OS, in Pick, that handle things like page feeds and carriage
returns. Making sure they all agree about everything can be quite a
hassle ...

Cheers,
Wol

TOM MARRACCI

Mar 25, 2022, 1:53:35 PM3/25/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I found that I had to change the printer length in the terminal settings when printing some laser printers. Changing to 58 lines for those printers that spill over to a new page seemed to fix it.

Tom