Looking for advice on upgrading from D3 9.2

Bruce Ackman

Jan 14, 2022, 4:30:06 PM1/14/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I'm on D3/Linux 9.2 and I'd like to upgrade to 10.x.  Any suggestion on supported versions of Linux to install on?  CentOS used to be free, but I was told it costs $800 -$1000 for a license now.  is that true?

Wols Lists

Jan 14, 2022, 5:13:20 PM1/14/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Linux licence or D3 licence? Because you don't need a licence for linux.
Look at D3 and see which versions of Linux they support. The deal with
CentOS has changed, because RH/IBM took them over, so basically now
CentOS is that little bit ahead of RHEL iirc correctly.

If D3 is on support, they'll tell you what would be a good linux to run
it on, I guess ...

Cheers,
Wol

Bob Wyatt

Jan 14, 2022, 7:27:41 PM1/14/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
As near as I can tell, the name 'CentOS' now refers to either CentOS Linux or CentOS Stream.
Centos Linux version 8.5 was released in November of 2021 but is short-lived.
If the reading material and my comprehension of it is accurate, it will not receive any further updates and product image files will be withdrawn January 31, 2022 or shortly there-after.
CentOS 7.9 is still supported through June of 2024; the status of its image files is unknown.

CentOS Stream is targeted towards developers; haven’t seen anything that would indicate Rocket is doing anything with it.

D3 Server 10.X is essentially supported on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 or 8 (8 is for the more recent releases) or CentOS 7 or 8 (8 is for the more recent releases).
Red Hat has a purchase price that includes a year of some level of support and access to the Red Hat support site.
To my knowledge, CentOS is free; given the relatively short time frame of it being supported (version 7.3 and up in the 7 family through June of 2024), and as 8 is effectively end-of-life now, and as D3 10.X is not supported on any other Linux platform than Red Hat or CentOS, Red Hat would appear to be the long-term answer.

All of the above is for USA customers; outside the USA, YMMV...

Bob Wyatt

geneb

Jan 14, 2022, 10:58:48 PM1/14/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
CentOS isn't really a thing anymore (or at least it shouldn't be :). You
can look into RockyLinux - it's basically equivalent to CentOS and is the
distro that arose from the mess that Redhat made of CentOS.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

Steve Trimble

Jan 15, 2022, 11:13:15 AM1/15/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Bob - I am using Rocky Linux (this came after CentOS end of life) with QM and it works fine.
I used 'LAQP' - Linux/Apache/QM/Php
very stable and fast
In my case I use 32bit QM running on 64bit Rocky.
I am doing that because I run a lot of 'Coyote' programming.
Coyote is a web server that runs within QM/D3/Universe.
I use it in combination with Apache, letting Apache serve any images or static html files.
With a virtual host record and proxy pass, all dynamic web applications are handled by Coyote.
All in all a wonderful environment to program in.

Computerized Data Mgmt Inc
Steve Trimble
(501) 772-3450 cell / text

geneb

Jan 15, 2022, 11:54:35 AM1/15/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 15 Jan 2022, Steve Trimble wrote:

> Bob - I am using Rocky Linux (this came after CentOS end of life) with QM
> and it works fine.
> I used 'LAQP' - Linux/Apache/QM/Php
> very stable and fast
> In my case I use 32bit QM running on 64bit Rocky.
> I am doing that because I run a lot of 'Coyote' programming.
> Coyote is a web server that runs within QM/D3/Universe.
> I use it in combination with Apache, letting Apache serve any images or
> static html files.
> With a virtual host record and proxy pass, all dynamic web applications are
> handled by Coyote.
> All in all a wonderful environment to program in.

That's really cool Steve. Is there a reason you're using the 32 bit
version of OpenQM? You're using the commercial version, correct?

tnx.

Steve Trimble

Jan 15, 2022, 12:25:09 PM1/15/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
yes - commercial version of QM
I am using 32bit QM because of Coyote. It's 'listener' is written in 32bit.
QM is so darn fast, and Coyote is real time within QM - it is ALL good

Computerized Data Mgmt Inc
Steve Trimble
(501) 772-3450 cell / text

geneb

Jan 15, 2022, 12:58:41 PM1/15/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 15 Jan 2022, Steve Trimble wrote:

> yes - commercial version of QM
> I am using 32bit QM because of Coyote. It's 'listener' is written in 32bit.
> QM is so darn fast, and Coyote is real time within QM - it is ALL good

Makes perfect sense. Thanks Steve!

philippe GRACIA

Feb 9, 2022, 7:42:25 AM2/9/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hello, bruce.
You are right, linux licences are not free with RedHat.
BUT!
you can use up to 16 virtual or physical servers for free.

we currently use RHEL 8 with succes ( and python!) and d3 10.3.3

hope this help ...

Dick Thiot

Feb 9, 2022, 11:37:38 AM2/9/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Phillipe,

That is a great article explaining the status of CentOS.  It appears that replacements for CentOS that are binary compatible with CentOS/RedHat are out now to replace CentOS.  Check out Alma Linux and Rocky Linux.

Dick

Steve Trimble

Feb 9, 2022, 11:42:43 AM2/9/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I have moved 3 servers to RockyLinux running QM - all is fine and dandy!
I am running 32bit QM on RockyLinux 64bit.
I run Coyote from EasyCo and their http listener is written as 32bit.
QM handles quite nicely. Yeah for QM and Rocky Linux!

Computerized Data Mgmt Inc
Steve Trimble
(501) 772-3450 cell / text