Add better error handling and helpful description during import

regi...@bazanov.net

Jun 1, 2018, 4:18:25 AM6/1/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Hello,

Please take a look at this tab separated file:
https://files.fm/u/8kv44t8j

When I import it, there is an exception message shown and the second line is not imported. Although the program says "Done".

I suggest:
1) Show failed line number
2) Show more exception information to let user try to figure out the problem
3) Don't say "Done!" if there was an exception during the import. Better say something like "Imported with errors. XX lines have been imported."

Kind regards,
Pavel

Peter Bienstman

Jun 1, 2018, 5:13:17 AM6/1/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I'll fix this for the next release.

Cheers,

Peter
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/4194c153-4c94-
> 4c56-adc0-d32a5b54d1e2%40googlegroups.com.

regi...@bazanov.net

Jun 6, 2018, 11:58:37 AM6/6/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Thanks, Peter.

Do you know the problem in this case?

Peter Bienstman

Jun 7, 2018, 2:49:06 AM6/7/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
The file you sent me had two tabs where there should be only one, leading to empty field.

Cheers,

Peter

regi...@bazanov.net

Jun 9, 2018, 2:07:55 AM6/9/18
to mnemosyne-proj-users
Peter, but I'm ok with empty fields. The file is imported as vocabulary cards and it's ok if in some cards pronunciation or meaning or both are empty. Sometimes I need only the notes field.
Can you please make the fields optional?

Peter Bienstman

Jun 11, 2018, 11:22:51 AM6/11/18
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Note that in order for a vocabulary card to be legal, it needs both a foreign word and a translation. The same is true when you add cards through the UI, BTW.

Cheers,

Peter