Troubles Syncing

dannyb...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2016, 2:57:02 PM12/8/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I am having troubles syncing my desktop with my android device. I suspect it has something to do when I stopped using my laptop (which I have successfully synced with) and began using my desktop (which I have not been able to successfully sync with).

Peter Bienstman

Dec 9, 2016, 2:50:03 AM12/9/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What exactly is the error you get?

Make sure both machines are running the latest version 2.4 and also have a look here:

http://mnemosyne-proj.org/help/syncing

Cheers,

Peter

abaku...@arcor.de

Dec 13, 2016, 6:32:59 PM12/13/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Peter,

there seem to be some problems with the newest version of mnemosyne.

This is what I have done:

- upgraded the android client and the Windows server to the newest version (uninstalled the old Mnemosyne version on the PC prior to installing the newest version).

- renamed the plugins folder on my PC and created a new plugins folder afterwards, before I started the sync.

- started the sync.

I get this problem:

1. Sync with Android client fails
I have attached a screenshot of the error message on my Android phone. (It tells me that the next sync has to be a complete sync. What does this mean?)

Else, if I don't rename the plugins folder, I get this error:

1. Mnemosyne complains about some plugins.
The newest version of Mnemosyne does not seem to like the old plugins. For example: The statistics plugin (card_statistics.py) needs an update, because the old version imports from PyQt4. (if I don't rename the plugins folder)

One remark:

I would not use the words "client" and "server" in the Android devices' alert messages. Non-programmers (or even my non-tech parents) might not understand the meaning of these words. Maybe you could change "client" to "Android device"?

Another remark:

I normally add hundreds of cards at the same time. The answers of some of those cards do have bad quality or are even completely wrong. Well, I usually star those cards and then skip them by grading them with a 5. This is bad for the statistics. It would be better to have a "disable card" button. The easiest way to implement this would be to indroduce a "disabled cards" tag, which is disabled by default.

Have a nice Christmas time!

Greetings,

Abakus

Screenshot_2016-12-13-23-28-48.png

Peter Bienstman

Dec 14, 2016, 2:33:32 AM12/14/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed bug report!

First of all, all the third-party plugins indeed need updating. I only updated the official ones that were bundled with Mnemosyne, so you'll have to ask the plugin author to update them. This means you also need to get rid of the old plugin folder on your phone before you sync.

You talk about 2 errors, but only attach one screenshot, so I'm not sure to what situation they correspond. In any case, could it be that your database name contains non-latin characters? Otherwise it's really strange that a system call to convert the current time to a string like '20161214-081215.db' should run into Unicode problems...

With respect to client/server terminology, which message are you referring to exactly? I thought I had reformulated most of them...

About a plugin to disabled cards, feel free to submit this to our uservoice forum, so that people can vote for it.

Cheers,

Peter

abaku...@arcor.de

Dec 14, 2016, 5:57:40 AM12/14/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Peter,

1. plugins: Could you make the installer rename the plugins folder to something like "plugins backup"? That way the update process will be much smoother and even non-tech people will get Mnemosyne running much easier after updating. Rename, because then programmers can still look at the plugins code afterwards. An option to reenable out of date plugins in the UI might be nice and easy debugging tool.

2. I forgot to mention, that I have deleted the complete /sdcard/Mnemosyne/ folder

3. My data base's name is "default"

4. My new situation is now (I can't reproduce the initial situation anymore, sorry):
- /sdcard/Mnemosyne/ is deleted (this folder had been deleted, when I wrote my last email, too)
- deleted all app data and cache on the android device
- plugins folder on PC is renamed and replaced with empty plugins folder
- Mnemosyne starts without errors on my phone, but it does not contain any data and it is not possible to sync (sync button seems to be disabled? I don't get any error message. The statusbar displays the text "Statusbar")
- Mnemosyne on my PC works fine

5. Client/server terminology: I think, it's the message about the "complete sync" or the message that got displayed right before this message. Sorry, I can't reproduce this right now.

6. One remark on the last Mnemosyne version (before the update) The Android taskbar (the bar with the clock) overlaps the tag's names (Two versions ago, this overlapping did not occur) I can get rid of this problem, when I close Mnemosyne with the arrow button, then Mnemosyne reinitializes and comes in front of the "taskbar"

7. Uservoice: I run out of credits to add new ideas on uservoice soon ;) I have to remove likes, when I add a new idea. :/ Could I get a flatrate for ideas, please? ;) :P

Have a great day!

Greetings,

Abakus

Dec 14, 2016, 11:57:30 AM12/14/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, Nicholas Powell
Hi,

Interesting suggestion with respect to renaming the plugin folder, I'll see what I can do (although I suspect not many people run plugins).

In your current phone situation, do you find a config.db in your Mnemosyne directory, but not a default.db? There might be a pattern here with reports from other users. I'm currently trying to get in contact with the author of the library that allows us to call Python code, to see if there are any issues he's aware of. What phone do you have? Might be a 64bit vs 32bit issue...

Incidentally, if other people reading this have no problems with the new Android version (like me), could you also let this know, together with your phone type?

While we're sorting this out, if you want to get back to reviewing on your phone soon, the best thing to do is reverting to 2.3.6 on both the desktop and phone, using the apk from sourceforge.

With respect to client/server terminology, let save this for when we're able to reproduce this by solving the other problems :-)

Your remark 6 is a known problem, which I hope to address after solving the stuff above first :-)

Thanks for the feedback!

Peter

abaku...@arcor.de

Dec 15, 2016, 2:27:29 PM12/15/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, npow...@gmail.com
Hello Peter,

my cell phone has 32 bit:

https://www.inside-handy.de/handys/mobistel-cynus-t6/daten

I have tried another cell phone too, the syncing doesn't work on this phone either (the "taskbar" overlaps the tags).

Xperia neo

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_neo-3734.php

Reverting to the old Mnemosyne version (2.3.6) did not work. I get the attached errors now. Mnemosyne on the PC displays the message "Sending media files", but it doesn't send anything.

When I opened the cards browser with the freshly reinstalled old Mnemosyne on my PC for the first time, I got the error message "XX" (see attachment) once.

> In your current phone situation, do you find a config.db in your Mnemosyne
> directory, but not a default.db?

Both files have been in the folder /sdcard/Mnemosyne and they are still there with the 2.3.6 Mnemosyne for Android.

Good evening!

Greetings,

Abakus

Dec 16, 2016, 6:06:27 AM12/16/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, npow...@gmail.com
>I have tried another cell phone too, the syncing doesn't work on this phone either (the "taskbar" overlaps the tags).

If that's the only problem, then exiting Mnemosyne by pressing the back key on your phone (not home) and restarting Mnemosyne should solve the problem.

>Reverting to the old Mnemosyne version (2.3.6) did not work. I get the attached errors now. Mnemosyne on the PC displays the message "Sending >media files", but it doesn't send anything.

Just to be sure: this was with 2.3.6 both on your desktop as well as the android apk corresponding to 2.3.6 that you can download from sourceforge?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mnemosyne-proj/files/mnemosyne/mnemosyne-2.3.6/

Also, best to start from an empty /sdcard/Mnemosyne

>When I opened the cards browser with the freshly reinstalled old Mnemosyne on my PC for the first time, I got the error message "XX" (see >attachment) once.

I would not worry about this, could be a temporary side effect of downgrading.

>> In your current phone situation, do you find a config.db in your Mnemosyne
>> directory, but not a default.db?
>
>Both files have been in the folder /sdcard/Mnemosyne and they are still there with the 2.3.6 Mnemosyne for Android.

I meant using 2.4 and deleting /sdcard/Mnemosyne, does default.db get created?

Cheers,

Peter
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/1773267930.256558.1481830046803.JavaMail.ngmail%40webmail11.arcor-online.net.

giordanoa...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2016, 9:14:57 AM12/24/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, dannyb...@gmail.com
Hi Peter I have the same problem (I posted it to you).
I have a Samsung s3neo GT-I9301 cpu quad core 1.4 GHZ -32 bit

Peter Bienstman

Dec 26, 2016, 3:56:14 AM12/26/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

That's a really strange message: there should be no Unicode errors when trying to retrieve the system's date in a numerical format. This looks like a bug in the library we're using. Try this version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7217iq1vxacaqgz/Mnemosyne.apk?dl=0

It works around the bug by giving your backups random names instead of names containing dates and times in case it encounters the error. Not as user-friendly, but the filesystem creation date will also tell you when the backup was created.

Cheers,

Peter

giordanoa...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2016, 9:24:27 AM12/26/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, dannyb...@gmail.com, giordanoa...@gmail.com
Now another snag!
installed it and ... tried to sync .. it stucks on loggin in (could not connect to server)... I'll wait till I'm back at home and I'll give it another try. Maybe is the router here that gives me prblem. I'll let you know.
Anyway it doesn't give me the other error anymore ... a little achievement!

Andrea Giordano

Jan 9, 2017, 9:59:19 AM1/9/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users, dannyb...@gmail.com
Somehow I managed to sync. Maybe it was a lan problem.
It gave me anyway another error (screen shots enclosed ) but when I run it again it went smoothly. Thanks.
--
Inviato dal mio dispositivo Android con K-9 Mail. Perdonate la brevità.

Andrea Giordano

Peter Bienstman

Jan 9, 2017, 10:12:40 AM1/9/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, dannyb...@gmail.com
Hi,

Glad to know it's working now!

These errors typically occur if your phone goes to sleep during a long initial sync.

Cheers,

Peter

Jan 13, 2017, 9:22:16 AM1/13/17
Em quinta-feira, 8 de dezembro de 2016 17:57:02 UTC-2, dannyb...@gmail.com escreveu:
> I am having troubles syncing my desktop with my android device. I suspect it has something to do when I stopped using my laptop (which I have successfully synced with) and began using my desktop (which I have not been able to successfully sync with).

Hi

Me too, and I've already give up to even understand this. I recently downloaded the mnemosyne app from google play store. The app just don't show anything after is iniciated, just a black screen and a menu that doesn't run any of its own options (neither sync).

I already knew that it works only in sync with desktop version (which I'm running with linux ubuntu), and have saved a copy from desktop card files on SD card. But what is the point of making it so complicated?

I mean, It's only some text information, why not compile it to do some friendly-user interface as obvious as copy and paste AFTER ever put it online?

Peter Bienstman

Jan 13, 2017, 9:23:43 AM1/13/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, dannyb...@gmail.com
Hi,

What happens if you uninstall Mnemosyne from your phone, delete /sdcard/Mnemosyne and install it again?

What type of phone do you have? Did it work with the previous version?

Cheers,

Peter