Mnemosyne on retina Macbook looks grainy, low resolution

johanv...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2017, 4:16:05 PM4/2/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
I just got a retina Macbook and downloaded Mnemosyne again (coming from Snow Leopard), but it looks grainy, as in: low resolution. Is this a common thing on the newer Macs (or laptops with better screens), or did something go wrong installing the program?

Peter Bienstman

Apr 3, 2017, 3:05:55 AM4/3/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

You need to start Mnemosyne with the "--high-dpi-scaling" command line option.

Additionally, it seems you need to enable some other settings in the Info.plist file as well (see http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html).

Cheers,

Peter

johanv...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2017, 10:05:55 AM4/3/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure where to change what. Could you tell me what to do?

Thanks,

Johan

Op maandag 3 april 2017 09:05:55 UTC+2 schreef Peter Bienstman:

Hi,

You need to start Mnemosyne with the "--high-dpi-scaling" command line option.

Additionally, it seems you need to enable some other settings in the Info.plist file as well (see http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html).

Cheers,

Peter

I just got a retina Macbook and downloaded Mnemosyne again (coming from Snow Leopard), but it looks grainy, as in: low resolution. Is this a common thing on the newer Macs (or laptops with better screens), or did something go wrong installing the program?

Peter Bienstman

Apr 3, 2017, 10:16:51 AM4/3/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, Devin Howard

Hi,

I’m afraid not, as I don’t have a Mac. Also, I think our Mac packager does not have a retina display. The suggestion about the Info.plist file came from another user.

Cheers,

Peter

Apr 3, 2017, 3:53:56 PM4/3/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users, de...@callysto.com
Can't get it to work and googling it doesn't help me either so far. Could that other user maybe explain how it's done? Or anybody else who knows how to fix this?

Devin Howard

Apr 4, 2017, 11:06:47 AM4/4/17
to Peter Bienstman, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Johan

To edit your Info.plist, you can do the following:

1. Open Finder, and locate the Mnemosyne application (probably by going to the "Go" menu at the top, hitting Applications, and finding Mnemosyne)
2. Right click the Mnemosyne app, and click "Show Package Contents".
3. A window pops up. Open the "Contents" folder, and you'll see Info.plist.
4. I recommend copy-pasting the file to your Desktop as a backup before editing.
5. Open with TextEdit or something like that and you'll see a whole bunch of XML code.

If you follow the pattern of keys and strings, it should be doable to edit it by hand inside text edit. Make sure you're in Plain Text mode: the way to do that is by opening the Format menu at the top. If it says "Make Rich Text" in the menu, you're good. If it says, "Make Plain Text", then select that item and TextEdit will convert the file to plain text mode for you.

Then you'll be able to add another entry. Here's an example of one entry in my file right now:

<key>CFBundleDisplayName</key>
<string>Mnemosyne</string>

<key>NSPrincipalClass</key>
<string>NSApplication</string>
<key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>
<string>True</string>

If this works for you, please let me know and I'll include this addition in our build scripts so that in future versions you won't need to make this change.

johanv...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2017, 1:10:29 PM4/17/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users, Peter.B...@ugent.be
Hi Devin,

Sorry, took a while. Just tried it, but doesn't help. Any suggestions?

leon...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2017, 3:33:04 AM4/23/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users, Peter.B...@ugent.be
Hi, try this http://retinizer.mikelpr.com/
> mnemosyne-proj-u...@googlegroups.com.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mnemosyne-proj-users/6897c45c-64d3-4c6b-9d66-1f75aea10a56%40googlegroups.com.
>
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Dan Schmidt

Nov 11, 2017, 11:37:05 AM11/11/17
to mnemosyne-proj-users
As of Mnemosyne 2.5, the following solution works for me (macOS 10.12.6).