Mnemosyne 2.3.6 released

Peter Bienstman

May 2, 2016, 11:52:39 AM5/2/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com
http://mnemosyne-proj.org/download-mnemosyne.php (Note: OSX is still on 2.3.5 at the moment)

Android 20160502:

-Upgraded backend to Mnemosyne 2.3.6, meaning that logs older than 1 year
are now automatically archived in a separate file, which is not backed
up all the time, speeding up the sync process and taking less space.
-Switched to Material design, also making it easier to access the menu on
some devices which had problems with this before.
-Implemented full screen immersive mode for Android KitKat and higher.
-Buttons are now in the middle of the screen to better facilitate
ergonomic one-handed operation.

Mnemosyne 2.3.6 : 2016-05-02

-Logs older than 1 year are now automatically archived in a separate file,
which is not backed up all the time, speeding up e.g. the sync process.
-The card browser now supports more html formatting, e.g. ruby tags.
-URLs in cards in the review widget now open in an external browser, rather
than the internal Qt webview which does not have back buttons e.g..
-Only changing a card type in the 'Edit current card' dialog now works again
(reported by Henrik).
-Failed cards no longer are listed as overdue in the card browser (requested
by Samuel Innes)
-Fixed bugs related to Unicode filenames under Android (reported by Jan
Egil Hagen).
-When adding a tag with the same name both on client and server before
syncing, rename one of these tags. Users still need to unify and activate
the tags though (reported by Jan Egil Hagen).
-Added a --version command line argument to display the version (requested by
Matthew Exon).
-Also accept files with *.tsv extention when importing tab-separated data
(requested by Ojas A).
-Don't leave the 'Client Logging in...'' dialog on the sync server open in
case the client provides a wrong password (reported by Eric).
-Fixed formatting when using 'db_media:///' in cards with javascript (
reported by Pete Kovalenko).

Taurus Londoño

May 3, 2016, 12:37:50 PM5/3/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com
Upon upgrading to 2.3.6 (after uninstalling previous version on two devices), I'm now unable to sync.
I get a sync failure on the server, and this message:

Chris

May 3, 2016, 1:13:11 PM5/3/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com
I tried Mnemosyne 2.3.6 on my Jolla device. Operating system is Sailfish OS but it can also run Android apps (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailfish_OS#Using_Android_software_running_on_Sailfish_OS). Mnemosyne 2.3.5 worked well on it, but unfortunately with Mnemosyne 2.3.6 I am not able to access the menu any more. Problem is the full screen mode. A swipe doesn't open the Mnemosyne menu, but instead opens a Sailfish OS menu. Is there a way to start Mnemosyne in non fullscreen mode or another way to access the menu (without a swipe from the edge)?

Peter Bienstman

May 3, 2016, 1:21:28 PM5/3/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I’m afraid Sailfish OS is not officially supported, but perhaps you can ask around on the Sailfish forums if there’s a way to access the menu bar in full screen? I’m willing to show that person my code and collaborate to see if there’s a way to accommodate Sailfish, but I’m afraid just reverting my code is not really an option, since I’ve changed the menu system to better support Android devices without a hardware menu button (which was the number 1 support complaint…).

Cheers,

Peter

na...@online.de

May 3, 2016, 1:42:15 PM5/3/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

thanks for your quick reply! I fully understand that Sailfish OS is not officially supported. So I will stay with Mnemosyne 2.3.5 for now and try to find out if there is a way to access the menu bar in full screen mode. Will let you know if I have any news.

Thanks,
Chris
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "mnemosyne-proj-users" group.

Peter Bienstman

May 3, 2016, 2:01:23 PM5/3/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Which OS is your server? If it’s linux, make sure your filesystem is utf-8 encoded if you have non-latin filenames.

Cheers,

Peter

From: mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com [mailto:mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Taurus Londoño

Taurus Londoño

May 3, 2016, 3:32:33 PM5/3/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Both devices are running Windows 10. For what it's worth, I've been using Mnemosyne for a few years now (since ~2012) and have not had this issue before.
Thanks so much for all of your hard work. I'm an enthusiastic fan!

- Taurus

Cecile Baudry

May 3, 2016, 3:39:47 PM5/3/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi ! I've the same problem but with my computer in Windows 10 and my Android phone.
I use russian letters for my cards. I think it is the problem but I don't now how to change the encoding of my filesystem in windows10.

Thank you for your answer !

Peter Bienstman

May 3, 2016, 4:08:07 PM5/3/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Does this new version help?

http://users.ugent.be/~pbienst/pub/mnemosyne-2.3.6-setup.exe

Cheers,

Peter

May 3, 2016, 4:57:16 PM5/3/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your answer. In my case, there is another error but the message has changed. Now it is "utf16 codec can't decode nyt 0x67 in positition 12 : truncated data". For media files, I use for 50 files russian letters and for audo files, the file from the website forvo (they have long names, is it possible, that it's the problem ?)

Thank you for your work !

Cécile

Peter Bienstman

May 4, 2016, 4:12:50 AM5/4/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I’ve uploaded a new version at the same location. It should provide a temporary workaround until I can investigate this more after I come back from travel in a week or so.

Let me know if this works!

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you for your answer. In my case, there is another error but the message has changed. Now it is "utf16 codec can't decode nyt 0x67 in positition 12 : truncated data". For media files, I use for 50 files russian letters and for audo files, the file from the website forvo (they have long names, is it possible, that it's the problem ?)

Cecile Baudry

May 4, 2016, 6:29:11 AM5/4/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

it works ! Thank you. Have a good trip.

Cécile

Le mercredi 4 mai 2016 10:12:50 UTC+2, Peter Bienstman a écrit :

Hi,

I’ve uploaded a new version at the same location. It should provide a temporary workaround until I can investigate this more after I come back from travel in a week or so.

Let me know if this works!

Cheers,

Peter

duncansi...@gmail.com

May 5, 2016, 6:27:13 PM5/5/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users
the new menu button style works well on my meizu note 2 :).

However it crashes when i click answer :(. I dont remember having this issue on the old version, but then i didn't really use it as the older version had no sync button so i cant be sure.

If you can direct me where to get previous versions ill check and make sure.

Peter Bienstman

May 6, 2016, 3:17:41 AM5/6/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Previous apks can be downloaded from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mnemosyne-proj/files/mnemosyne/

What is the error message you get?

Cheers,

Peter

duncansi...@gmail.com

May 6, 2016, 5:54:52 PM5/6/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users

Deleted everyting and started again.

There is no error message. I click on answer and then the display goes back to the phones homescreen. Mnemosyne isnt actually shut down, it is still open in recent apps. I open it again and mnemosyne shows the initialising message. If I click answer then the same thing happens again.

duncansi...@gmail.com

May 6, 2016, 7:08:36 PM5/6/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, duncansi...@gmail.com
Can't get it to work with the older versions either. I did notice 2.3.5 syncs much faster than the new one.

duncansi...@gmail.com

May 6, 2016, 7:21:36 PM5/6/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, duncansi...@gmail.com
My cards have sounds in the answers. I don't know if that is also a problem.

Peter Bienstman

May 7, 2016, 12:36:39 AM5/7/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Sound should not be a problem, but perhaps you can try with a simple test database consisting of 1 trivial card?

duncansi...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2016, 10:36:58 PM7/9/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users
OK, Finally tested with one card. Chinese character question with answer in pinyin with sound. It works.

How do I find what is the problem is with my real database. Thats the one I want to use as I have been using it for probably 6 years now.

Should I start with fonts, number of cards, etc. What might be the best way of getting my real database to not crash?

Thanks :)

duncansi...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2016, 10:47:01 PM7/9/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, duncansi...@gmail.com
One difference between the single card and the database is that in the single card I added the sound file via right click so the file is stored in the default.db_media folder.

For my real database the sounds are all in folders within the default.db_media folder. I can't remember how it ended up this way (has been a while since I created the cards and have been through a few mnemosyne upgrades) but it was definately preferable to having all the sound files in one folder.

Could this be a problem. I know i'm thinking out aloud, but just wondering where I should start testing.

duncansi...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2016, 11:10:39 PM7/9/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, duncansi...@gmail.com

2 things, I started deactivating cards on the desktop from my database, then synced. The card that showed had no sound. It worked.

So I activated more cards on the desktop then resynced. The newly activated cards will not show on the phone app. I had to delete the mnemosyne folder on the phone and then sync again to get the new activated cards.

This time a card with sound showed. It crashed the app on pressing the answer button. :(

duncansi...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2016, 11:26:20 PM7/9/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, duncansi...@gmail.com
Tried mp3 and wav file in single card test... works

Tried placing sound file within a folder within the default.db_media folder and editing card to link to that sound file address. Sync to phone and then test...

Having sound file in folder crashes the App :(

Peter Bienstman

Jul 20, 2016, 4:19:43 AM7/20/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been traveling.

If Mnemosyne cannot find a sound file, this could be due to a mismatch between the path to the sound file in card and the actual location of the sound file. The path should be a relative path with respect to the media directory of that database. If you add sounds through the right-click menu this happens automatically. If you mantually type the paths, things can you wrong.

With respect to the app crashing when you play sound, are you referring to the desktop app or the phone app? What error do you get? What is your OS version? For the phone, you can try uninstalling, deleting /sdcard/Mnemosyne and reinstalling and then doing the initial sync again.

Cheers,

Peter

duncansi...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2016, 6:44:19 PM7/20/16
to mnemosyne-proj-users, mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com, mnemosyne-p...@googlegroups.com
In my real database I added paths manually... i think. For testing I just used right click as well as manually adding path. It doesn't matter, neither works. As long as the sound file is in a folder within dfault_db then it will crash the phone app. There is no error given, the phone just reverts to the home screen.

OS is Android 5,1 Flyme 5.1.6.0A

I delete folders, app, database etc. and reinstall every time.

Peter Bienstman

Jul 21, 2016, 3:38:39 AM7/21/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

So, if I'm correct, the original problem of having question marks on the desktop instead of audio is solved?

As for the crash on Android, feel free to send me a media file privately to see if I can reproduce the problem. If I'm not able to reproduce it, it will be almost impossible for me to solve, I'm afraid, as it could be due to an incompatibly in the flyme OS.

Cheers,

Peter

Oisín Mac Fhearaí

Jul 21, 2016, 5:40:08 AM7/21/16
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com

If you have the basic Android development tools on your desktop machine, you could plug the phone in and run "adb logcat" to see if there was a stacktrace that would pinpoint the error.

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/86384/how-to-get-why-an-app-crashed

Chris

Apr 2, 2017, 1:10:28 PM4/2/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
On my Linux system (Ubuntu 16.04) the shortcuts also don't work. The
workaround (click outside of the Q and A windows) doesn't work, too.
It depends also on the UI Language if some shortcuts are working or not:
with English UI e.g. Ctrl+B works, but Ctrl+D doesn't. With German UI
none of the shortcuts is working.

Another problem on Linux: After syncing (to a headless mnemosyne within
my home net), the dialog and message boxes stay open and it is not
possible to close them. There is also no close or minimize button on
these boxes, only the resize button is visible. I'll try to attach a
screenshot.
sync_dialog_and_message_box_stay_open.png

Peter Bienstman

Apr 3, 2017, 3:03:22 AM4/3/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The keyboard shortcut issues have been fixed in the development code. The sync dialog boxes seem to be a linux only issue which is under Qt's control, unfortunately...

Cheers,

Peter

Apr 3, 2017, 3:10:32 AM4/3/17
to mnemosyne-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry this post went to the wrong topic. It was a reply to "Mnemosyne
2.4.1 released".