Pong game

John Endler

Nov 6, 2021, 8:11:36 PM11/6/21
to MikeOS
Hi everyone,

 I made a couple of programs for my version of mikeOS, I tried not to use any calls
to the kernel that are not included in Mikes version, so they should work under MikeOS, you just have to edit the include file at the top of program replacing kisos.inc with your include file.
 One is a retro pong game that writes directly to video memory using ES:DI(B000:0000)
use the up down arrows to control your paddle. The computer will play better the more points you score.
 The other is just a demo of drawing diagonal lines on the screen using the video mode
vga 320x200 256 colors using ES:DI(A000:0000), you can press the f key to speed up
line drawing or s key to slow it down c key to clear screen and esc key to exit.
both programs switch ES register back to previous state when going back to MikeOS.

Both are written in FASM so just assemble using fasm (fasm pong.asm)
(fasm lines.asm)

 I think I have worked out all the bugs....

Best Regards
John
pong.asm
lines.asm

Michael Saunders

Dec 30, 2021, 12:31:19 PM12/30/21
to John Endler, MikeOS
Hi John,

Apologies for the late reply, but thanks for sending the game and
demo! I'm preparing a MikeOS 4.7 beta release right now, and I'll
include them too. I've just made a few tweaks to make them run on
MikeOS (and assemble with NASM).

Cheers!
Mike

John Endler

Dec 30, 2021, 2:57:51 PM12/30/21
to MikeOS
Mike,

 No problem I just posted in case someone was interested.
Feel free to make any changes to the programs .

If you are interested I wrote Conways game of life, which I changed to nasm syntax, if you want to test it out
under your OS.

Best Regards
John
life.asm

Michael Saunders

Dec 30, 2021, 3:06:52 PM12/30/21
to John Endler, MikeOS
Ah great, I'll test life.asm too and include it in 4.7, if all works OK. Thanks!

Mike
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mikeos/c1b7c479-9108-478c-ab3b-cbf30b427d77n%40googlegroups.com.

John Endler

Dec 31, 2021, 12:00:52 PM12/31/21
to MikeOS
Mike,

 Here is an editor  based on the vi editor.
Its a lite version of VI that I wrote.
I use it in my OS and have not run across any bugs yet, but have updated it from fasm to nasm and made the other necessary changes to
run under MikeOS.
 If you would like to test it, here is the vedit.asm and VEDITHLP.TXT file .
You need to have the VEDITHLP.TXT file so when running vedit.bin, pressing f1 will bring up help.

Any questions let me know
vedit.asm
VEDITHLP.TXT

John Endler

Jan 1, 2022, 12:39:59 PM1/1/22
to MikeOS
 Changed the help file to be clear that ^: means shift + :       ^: can be confusing.

attached new help file to reflect change to (shift + key) instead of (^key).

Best Regards
John

VEDITHLP.TXT

Michael Saunders

Jan 3, 2022, 10:02:56 AM1/3/22
to John Endler, MikeOS
Hi John,

Thanks for those! I'm doing some more work on MikeOS 4.7 beta 1 now so
I'll add them in.

Also, I see a mention of KIS_OS in some places -- would you like me to
mention it on the MikeOS website, under the links bit?
http://mikeos.sourceforge.net/#links

Cheers,
Mike