SEC-IX RT acceptance

Kumar

Nov 25, 2013, 2:21:52 AM11/25/13
to materials-welding
Dear All,

When conducting WPQT(welder performance qualification test), the
acceptance criteria for both visual & RT is SEC.IX, but the these are
seemed to be much short & liberal. like,

Visual- complete fusion & penetration only required for visual, then
what about undercuts, underfill, re-inforcement height etc ?
RT- only chart given is for porosity comparison (attached herewith).
what about slags and other defects?

If anybody has more details of the above part of SEC.IX, please share.
due to these reasons some times we find difficulty to judge sub-con
welder performances.
could we refert the construction code of the intended project in that case?
Appreciating your valuable feedbacks.
Thanks in advance,
Kumar
SEC.IX-RT criteria.pdf

meisam shokri arfaei

Nov 25, 2013, 3:39:01 AM11/25/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friend,
Please read carefully part QW.191 and specially QW 191.1.2, then you will find your answer for all indications. Following to that you can find acceptance criteria for UT.

Regards

M. Shokri Arfaei
ISA-ISTS - Metallurgy Lab. Manager
ASNT NDT Level III
International Welding Engineer

Roy Joseph

Nov 25, 2013, 4:49:31 AM11/25/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
The acceptance criteria as per SEC IX QW-302.4 Visual Examination. For plate coupons all
surfaces (except areas designated “discard”) shall be examined
visually per QW-194 before cutting of bend specimens.
Pipe coupons shall be visually examined per
QW-194 over the entire circumference, inside and outside:- “Complete fusion and penetration by visual exam”. Defects such as incomplete joint
penetration or incomplete fusion would be reason to fail the visual examination. The weld reinforcement,
undercut and arc strikes are not subject to the acceptance criteria of Section IX. When the test is conducted as per Sec IX no one can ask to meet requirements out side the code.

Refer QW-191.2.3 Acceptance Criteria for Qualification
Test Welds.
regarding under cut,arc strike ,excess weld metal go as given in the client specification.
regards,
Roy

hpi001

Nov 25, 2013, 5:54:16 AM11/25/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kumar,

Nothing mentioned in ASME Section IX regarding undercuts, under-fill etc.
Because ASME is based on manufacturers responsibility it would be the responsibility of the manufacturer to determine it's own requirements for this kind of defects, this can be classified as Good Workmanship.
In my opinion this should be discussed in front before start of production at a manufacturers workshop (for example during a kick-off meeting) in order to avoid any discussions afterwards.

Regards Herman Pieper

Kumar

Nov 26, 2013, 3:28:55 AM11/26/13
to materials-welding

Hai
Noted the responses from all and thanks..but still if project spec. Is silent and sec.ix doesnt have any ruling on other defects (porosity, sla g , under cuts, uf,etc..then a welder on test making 2mm u/c in test but then he passed and send to asme b 31.3 project where 1mm is the maximum u/c...that itself is contradicting...I feel sec.ix criterias must be strong where in most cases we rely on welders (random ndt)...please share ur opinions
Thanks in advance,
Kumar

Roy Joseph

Nov 26, 2013, 3:58:44 AM11/26/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Mr Kumar,
Other Sections of the Code may specify different requirements than those specified by Section IX and  Such requirements take precedence over those of  Section IX, and the manufacturer or contractor shall comply with them.
so 2mm undercut can not be accepted by any code.

Kumar

Nov 26, 2013, 4:18:43 AM11/26/13
to materials-welding

Agree mr. Joseph...but at the time of test the governing code is only sec.ix..then if the other party argue like this (sec.ix only want complete fusion and penetration),...then how to resolve ?..this is the issue..just for info...

John Henning

Nov 26, 2013, 10:32:34 AM11/26/13
to material...@googlegroups.com

Step back for a minute from the wording of QW-194.  Look at paragraph QW-144;  “Visual examination as described in QW-194 is used to determine that the final weld surfaces meet specified quality standards.”  Note that this paragraph does not state “as per Section IX” or “as per QW-XXX”.  It refers to “specified quality standards.”  In my opinion this statement is the result of Section IX being applied to/specified by numerous design Codes or other standards which modify requirements of Section IX.  Ultimately, the manufacturer  (ref. QW-103.1) is responsible for the quality of welding, as noted by Mr. Pieper.  Why an employer would accept welding of lessor quality of welding during the test phase than required for work to be performed is beyond my comprehension.  This is an invitation to disaster during production welding.  (Unless the guy is your cousin or brother-in-law.)

Further, looking at the wording of QW-194, what exactly do you interpret “complete fusion” to mean?  Excessive undercut, as defined in the applicable Code or your quality system, is in effect, incomplete fusion.

I also think you need to consider that if one Code/Standard, referencing Sc IX, is more lenient than another is some regard, why would you tie a manufacturer producing equipment to the former, to comply with the more restrictive standard?  This lunacy has permeated the petro-chem industry and made fabrication of ordinary equipment (minimal service requirements) inordinately expensive and difficult.

John A. Henning

Welding & Materials

The information in this email is confidential, and is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this email please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system; you should not copy this message or disclose its contents to anyone. The internet can not guarantee the integrity of this message. HAMON (and its subsidiaries) shall (will) not therefore be liable for the message if modified.

veera raghava kommisetti

Nov 26, 2013, 9:53:13 PM11/26/13
to material...@googlegroups.com

The code is very clear in its terms.
The code is not a handbook and can not be replace education, experience and use of engineering judgment...
it is imparative that basic engineering judgment shall always be looked into.
Raghava

joseph mbé

Dec 2, 2013, 8:30:40 AM12/2/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

ASME Section IX is a document referenced for qualification by various construction code such as Section VIII, ASME B31,,,
To understand the code code you should carefully read and understand its scope.

Regards

Joseph Faustin Mbe
QA/QC Engineer
TEL CMR (00237) 33129846
TEL CG (00242) 057388009
BP 1155 Pointe Noire
Yesterday is the pass, tomorrow is the future; and today? Today is the present, the gift: Enjoy it!

chandrakant mohikar

Dec 3, 2013, 1:14:19 AM12/3/13
to material...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Acceptance Criteria for Visual Examination. The accessible surfaces of
the welds shall be examined visually with no magnification required.
The welds shall show complete fusion and no evidence of burning
through the tube wall, and shall be free from cracking or porosity.

All welds shall be visually inspected and cracks, craters, pinholes,
weld spatter, residual slag, or arc strikes shall not be acceptable.
The external weld reinforcement shall merge smoothly with the adjacent
surfaces of the parent material

Performance test coupons shall show complete joint penetration with
complete fusion of weld metal and base metal

Regards

chandrakant mohikar
ex. PDO / VELOSI (Company site representative / Focal point - projects)

vipul

May 10, 2020, 11:35:05 AM5/10/20
to Materials & Welding
Dear sir,

Please give a acceptance criteria as per uw-51 and 52

Karthik

May 10, 2020, 11:49:32 PM5/10/20
to Materials & Welding
Hi,
The acceptance criteria for welder qualification - QW 191

Thanks& Regards,

(Karthik)

Karthikeyan.S

M: +66-892512282
E-mail : karth...@yahoo.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Materials & Welding" group.

José Juan Jiménez Alejandro

May 11, 2020, 11:49:19 PM5/11/20
to material...@googlegroups.com
I see the criteria for acceptance in UW-51 and UW-52, I need to review it more carefully, if you expect to find a Table with those values, there is no such table with those values, I suggest you consult an ASME Authorized Inspector so that clarify your doubts, if you have a contract with an Inspection Agency. (ASME VIII Div. 1).
For welder qualification, I suggest you check QW-191.1.2.2 Qualification Test Welds.  (ASME IX).
Cheers!

--

Ing. José Juan Jiménez Alejandro

Independent Consultant in Parts