upgrade from Lucee 4.5 to 5

computer...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2017, 1:10:57 PM1/19/17
to Lucee
Trying to follow the instructions here to upgrade Lucee 4.5 to 5:

http://docs.lucee.org/guides/lucee-5/upgrading-lucee-45.html

This seems to work as far as the service running but I'm no longer able to access lucee admin or web administrator

computer...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2017, 6:01:27 AM1/20/17
to Lucee
Anyone?

Mark Drew

Jan 20, 2017, 6:04:57 AM1/20/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
What url’s are you trying? What web server is in front? What port is tomcat running on? Can you access it directly via the port?
Debugging without information is very difficult.

Is there something in your web config stopping it? Does a page with <cfoutput>#Now()#</cfoutput> actually run?

Mark Drew

CMD
develop • deploy • deliver

Michael Diederich

Jan 20, 2017, 6:21:46 AM1/20/17
to Lucee
Hi,
Any error messages? Did you check the logfiles?

Michael

computer...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2017, 8:08:47 AM1/20/17
to Lucee
the urls I'm trying to access are these:

http://ipaddress:8888/lucee/admin/server.cfm
http://ipaddress:8888/lucee/admin/web.cfm

Tomcat is running on port 8888

I cannot access it at all on that port.

there are no errors in catalina logs. As I mentioned previously, this server was running Lucee 4.5 without problems. I followed the upgrade instructions which basically entailed copying the lucee-5.1.0.34.jar in the /opt/lucee/lib directory and removing all the rest of the .jar files. The one odd thing I noticed was that the instructions said do not remove the lucee-server directory if one is present. Indeed there was a lucee-server directory in there but it dissapeared as soon I started the lucee service. I thought maybe somehow I deleted it when I  was deleting the .jar files, so I restored the lucee-server directory from backup, restarted the service and it the directory was gone again.

Everything else seems to be okay. The existing .cfml code on the website is being served and no other problems I can see. I just can't access the lucee admin on web contexts.

Jordan Michaels

Jan 20, 2017, 12:20:57 PM1/20/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
If you can see Tomcat listening to 8888, but cannot access it, then it sounds like the problem is something like a local firewall.

You can see that Tomcat is specifically listening on port 8888? Using a netstat or other tool perhaps?

--
Kind regards,
Jordan Michaels
> On Jan 19, 2017, at 6:10 PM, <computer...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> Trying to follow the instructions here to upgrade Lucee 4.5 to 5:
>
> http://docs.lucee.org/guides/lucee-5/upgrading-lucee-45.html
> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.lucee.org%2Fguides%2Flucee-5%2Fupgrading-lucee-45.html&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGJJyCgFmzMxQbsPQuBSb5oXJNVgg>
>
> This seems to work as far as the service running but I'm no longer able to
> access lucee admin or web administrator

computer...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2017, 3:23:47 PM1/20/17
to Lucee
there is no firewall running. Please see below:

ufw status

Tomcat is listening on port 8888. See below

 nmap -sT -O localhost

Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2017-01-20 14:32 EST
Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
Host is up (0.00026s latency).
Other addresses for localhost (not scanned): 127.0.0.1
Not shown: 995 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
80/tcp   open  http
443/tcp  open  https
8009/tcp open  ajp13
8888/tcp open  sun-answerbook

Not sure what the problem is. It was working fine until I upgraded to Lucee 5 and then it just didn't work anymore. There is a whole thread here about upgrading to Lucee 5 and the lack of documentation:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/lucee/8WLinezVYv0

there was no resolution just the usual comments about needing more information if tomcat is not working. Well obviously, something is causing Tomcat not to work. Opening a new thread doesn't seem to help cause nobody seems to know what's causing it. So, simply  replacing the .jar file is not enough. So, to anyone who's thinking about upgrading 4.5 to 5 by following the docs, DON'T DO IT!!

What I ended up doing is uninstall with the /opt/lucee/uninstall and then run the install for the new version. That did keep my datasources and settings.

Cheers

Igal @ Lucee.org

Jan 20, 2017, 3:38:47 PM1/20/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com

Tomcat is listening on port 8888. See below

8888/tcp open  sun-answerbook
How do you figure that "sun-answerbook" is Tomcat?

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

computer...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2017, 3:50:14 PM1/20/17
to Lucee
Well, deductive reasoning. Minutes before I replaced the .jar files, it actually was tomcat. After I replaced the .jar files, and that being the ONLY change I made, it should still be tomcat unless the .jar file decided to start another process on that very port. What do you think? Since you are a Lucee Core developer, you can probably answer that better than me. Does the .jar file start any other process on port 8888?

there is also the fact that now after I uninstalled/re-installed and I have verified that Tomcat is actually responding and I can get the lucee admin and web, and run the same nmap command, I get the same result:

 nmap -sT -O localhost

Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2017-01-20 15:47 EST

Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
Host is up (0.00024s latency).

Igal @ Lucee.org

Jan 20, 2017, 3:53:40 PM1/20/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com

What do you think?
I think that port 8888 is in use by another application (sun-answerbook), and therefore Lucee (Tomcat) can not listen on that port which explains this:

I cannot access it at all on that port.

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

Jordan Michaels

Jan 20, 2017, 4:13:30 PM1/20/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
The "sun-answerbook" think is just a label, it's not saying that's the process that's actually listening.

The program you used, nmap, is more a port scanner than a process list. You can get a better process list using the "netstat" command.

# netstat -ltpn

The 'ltpn' options tell netstat to give you "Listening", "TCP", "Program name" and "Numeric Addresses".

Using netstat, you should see a "java" process listening on port 8888.
> Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>
> the docs, *DON'T DO IT!!*
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/17197c27-51e5-4af3-a254-817435d4de26%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/17197c27-51e5-4af3-a254-817435d4de26%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Joseph Gooch

Jan 20, 2017, 5:14:47 PM1/20/17
to lu...@googlegroups.com
sun-answerbook is the name of the service assigned to port 8888 in /etc/services

It has nothing to do with the process actually listening on that port.

As .. it appears Jordan has already beat me to and given the appropriate netstat command to resolve. :)

-G

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lucee/226b4050-d52f-438a-b885-07893e09287f%40googlegroups.com.