LabVIEW Crash while using LuaVIEW toolkit v2.0.0beta-4

TimV

Jun 18, 2013, 2:25:43 PM6/18/13
to lua...@googlegroups.com
LabVIEW crashed when I attempted to load and then run a very small Lua script from within the LuaVIEW Task Manager.  This crash occurred with LuaVIEW Toolkit v2.0.0beta-4.  I was able to reproduce the crash 2 out of 2 times.  I have placed the same crash dump that I sent to NI, which in turn contains a copy of my code, to ftp.cit.be/incoming/.  I don't expect NI to dive very deep into my crash report, since it involves a third-party toolkit which is in beta.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Jun 21, 2013, 10:40:49 AM6/21/13
to lua...@googlegroups.com

Hello Tim

I took a look at this problem and cannot reproduce it on my computer system. Do you have an more specific details about how to reproduce it?

What I did was trying to load and execute the script “FileOrDirExists.lua” in the Task Manager using the “Run Local (F3)” function. I started the Task manager both directly from the Tools menu as well as from your LuaVIEW2tools.vi project.

Did you try it on a single system or on more than one of them? If you tried it on one single system, is there a chance that you could try it also on another one?

Sincerely

Rolf Kalbermatter

TimV

Jul 2, 2013, 7:55:39 PM7/2/13
to lua...@googlegroups.com
Rolf,

My apologies for this overdue response.

What I did was trying to load and execute the script “FileOrDirExists.lua” in the Task Manager using the “Run Local (F3)” function. I started the Task manager both directly from the Tools menu as well as from your LuaVIEW2tools.vi project. <<
This was exactly how I produced the problem as well, and LabVIEW crashed regardless of which method started the LuaVIEW Task Manager (upon try to run a script).

Did you try it on a single system or on more than one of them? <<
I have now tried this on a second system, and it crashes there as well.  Same environment: LabVIEW 2011/SP1 (32-bit) on Windows 7/SP1 (64-bit).

I have also been able to reproduce the LabVIEW crash by running other small and simple Lua scripts using "Run Local (F3)", AND even with a single line Lua chunk of "print('hello')" using "Run Quick (F2)".

After the crash, all LabVIEW windows close by themselves, and there are then zero LabVIEW applications running as viewed on the "Applications" tab of WINDOWS Task Manager; however the "Processes" tab of
WINDOWS Task Manager still shows one instance of LabVIEW.exe.  Re-launching LabVIEW after the crash creates a second instance of a LabVIEW.exe process, leaving the original process orphaned from any UI element (no window claims it).

Tim

Rolf Kalbermatter

Jul 3, 2013, 4:13:19 PM7/3/13
to lua...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tim

I’m in the process of preparing a new beta version for LuaVIEW as intermediate solution until the final release. Basically all the problems you encounter are likely caused by the fact that the Beta DLL  has an expiration date. When that happens it tries to display a dialog to inform you about this but this seems to fail catastrophally in recent LabVIEW versions. Not exactly sure about the details but it seems not safe anymore to open a dialog from within a DLL anymore as LabVIEW then gets into a dead lock somehow, probably between the UI system in which the dialog is supposed to occur and the actual execution system in which the LuaVIEW DLL is executing.

I’ll need to make a few more changes to the documentation and plan to release a last Beta with extended expiration date until Friday of this week.

Sincerely

Rolf Kalbermatter