xebro jirnytabra

Pierre Abbat

Aug 30, 2019, 5:43:40 AM8/30/19
to loj...@googlegroups.com
lo fadni ke xebro jirnytabra cu lanme jirna .i mi pu viska lo tandala ji'a
jirnytabra .iku'i lo bakni jirna na plixau lo xebro lo nu tabra .i lo
litybakni xu jirna cu go'i .i lo bakrto xu jirna cu go'i

mu'omi'e .piier.
--
When a barnacle settles down, its brain disintegrates.
Já não percebe nada, já não percebe nada.

MorphemeAddict

Aug 31, 2019, 8:59:16 AM8/31/19
to loj...@googlegroups.com
What's "tandala" based on? I get that it's defined in the text, but I can't find any term that would serve as the source of the Lojban word.
What is "bakrto"?

stevo

Pierre Abbat

Aug 31, 2019, 8:27:52 PM8/31/19
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, 31 August 2019 08.59.10 EDT MorphemeAddict wrote:
> What's "tandala" based on? I get that it's defined in the text, but I can't
> find any term that would serve as the source of the Lojban word.
> What is "bakrto"?

It's Swahili: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tandala .

Lo bakrto is the ungulate called תאו in Hebrew, which is mentioned in Deut.
14:5. In modern Hebrew it is the buffalo, and different editions of the Reina-
Valera and the LXX list the buffalo in this verse, but not all in the same
position. How long ago did water buffaloes arrive in Egypt?

Pierre

--
gau do li'i co'e kei do

Mark E. Shoulson

Aug 31, 2019, 8:43:16 PM8/31/19
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On 8/30/19 5:42 AM, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> lo fadni ke xebro jirnytabra cu lanme jirna .i mi pu viska lo tandala ji'a
> jirnytabra .iku'i lo bakni jirna na plixau lo xebro lo nu tabra .i lo
> litybakni xu jirna cu go'i .i lo bakrto xu jirna cu go'i
>
> mu'omi'e .piier.

משנה ר״ה 3:2

כל השופרות כשרים--חוץ משל פרה, מפני שהוא קרן.  אמר רבי יוסי, והלוא כל
השופרות נקראו קרן

גמרא תלמוד בבלי ר״ה כ״ו.‏

שפיר קאמר רבי יוסי ורבנן כל השופרות אקרו שופר ואקרו קרן דפרה קרן אקרי שופר
לא אקרי

ro jirnrcofara cu xamgu .i lo jirna be lo bakni na go'i ki'u lo nu ra
jirnrkerene .i la rabi,ioseif. daursku lu .iku'i ro jirnrcofara cu ji'a
jirnrkerene (to se sitna lo remoi jufra po'e la cimoi pagbu be la roc.
acanax. noi pagbu la micnax. toi)

.i lai prije ku noi pamoi darlu ku'o jinvi lodu'u ro jirnrcofara cu se
valsi zo jirnrcofara .e zo jirnrkerene .iku'i lo bakni co'e cu se valsi zo
jirnrkerene .enai zo jirnrcofara (to se sitna lo rexamoi papri be le
roc. acanax. toi)

These subjects are discussed as only the Talmud can discuss them, as can
be read in Aramaic/Hebrew as well as in English, at
https://www.sefaria.org/Rosh_Hashanah.26a?lang=bi

(sorry my Lojban is so rusty.)

~mark

Mark E. Shoulson

Aug 31, 2019, 8:50:46 PM8/31/19
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Indeed... I've remarked on this before.  If knowing what a word means
requires that the listener... well, be you, (since nobody else can
deduce the meaning from the word), then how does that enable
communication?  And if it doesn't communicate, what linguistic purpose
does it serve?

That's really the issue with fu'ivla in general, and especially with
unmarked ones.  Marking them with a rafsi (like bakrto) is at least a
start, but in a case like this where the whole issue is _which_ specific
bakni you are talking about, it doesn't do much.

I could maybe see an argument for default naming of animal/plant species
by fu'ivla derived semi-obviously from their standard Linnean binomials
(though even then it would be a pain for most people to look them up),
since there is at least a standard.  But when faced with a word whose
source could literally be *any* language (that Pierre has heard of), and
possibly even modified idiosyncratically (.alzaitu.?  Well, stuck the
al- article from Arabic to the Arabic word for olives (zayt) in order to
get the consonant cluster.  And how was I supposed to guess that?)

If you mean to say things to people, they need to have SOME way to work
out what you said.

~mark

Pierre Abbat

Sep 1, 2019, 5:21:56 AM9/1/19
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, 31 August 2019 20.43.13 EDT Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
> These subjects are discussed as only the Talmud can discuss them, as can
> be read in Aramaic/Hebrew as well as in English, at
> https://www.sefaria.org/Rosh_Hashanah.26a?lang=bi

Shor par, indeed! The scientific names Bos taurus and Ovis aries are similarly
redundant, but you can't get "shofar" out of them. iku'i lo danlu goi ko'a cu
ckini lo bakni sela'u ma .i lo jirna be ko'a cu jirnrcofara

Which is right: {la micnax} or {la micnat}?

On Saturday, 31 August 2019 20.50.45 EDT Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
> since there is at least a standard. But when faced with a word whose
> source could literally be *any* language (that Pierre has heard of), and
> possibly even modified idiosyncratically (.alzaitu.? Well, stuck the
> al- article from Arabic to the Arabic word for olives (zayt) in order to
> get the consonant cluster. And how was I supposed to guess that?)

But you did.

For those who weren't around then, many years ago I arrived at jbonunsla with
an empty jar of olives and found some Lojbanists around a table with many
small pyramids on it (this was a Zendo game, but I didn't know about Zendo
yet). I remarked "mi mo'u citka le .alzaitu".

Pierre
--
ve ka'a ro klaji la .romas. se jmaji

Michael Turniansky

Sep 2, 2019, 4:20:53 AM9/2/19
to loj...@googlegroups.com
lo jirna noi  jirnrcofara  cu selke'a je sruri be lo sligu punli noi selpi'a lo tolpluja vimcu bo selke'a be'o cei broda.i ko viska la culxan.arux  fi'o judri li mubixapi'epa . iseni'ibo da'i lo jirna be lo litybakni fa'u lo bakrto cu da'i plixau jo broda

           --gejyspa

Pierre Abbat

Oct 3, 2019, 4:39:25 PM10/3/19
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, 2 September 2019 04.20.13 EDT Michael Turniansky wrote:
> lo jirna noi jirnrcofara cu selke'a je sruri be lo sligu punli noi
> selpi'a lo tolpluja vimcu bo selke'a be'o cei broda.i ko viska la
> culxan.arux fi'o judri li mubixapi'epa
> <https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3376117/jewish/Shulchan-Aruc
> h-Chapter-586-Laws-Relating-to-the-Shofar-Used-on-Rosh-HaShanah.htm> .
> iseni'ibo da'i lo jirna be lo litybakni fa'u lo bakrto cu da'i plixau jo
> broda

mi teryrei fo le ravboni ca le jirnrcofara nunsla .i ry. na djuno

mu'omi'e .piier.
--
Jews use a lunisolar calendar; Muslims use a solely lunar calendar.