Monthly investment report

Dániel Fancsali

Mar 3, 2021, 10:02:25 AM3/3/21
to Ledger
Hey,

I've been looking into adding my investments to my ledger-based plain text accounting system recently.

On one hand, I love the ability of ledger to automatically infer unrealised gains/losses. Makes things a lot easier, and less error prone.

However, also like the feature outlined in hledger's tutorial, where he demonstrates a daily/weekly/monthly report. (https://hledger.org/track-investments.html)

I managed to get ledger to group the register by month, but cannot get it to do "balance at the end of the month for the months from X to Y"

Am I doing something wrong, or is this something that's not possible with ledger atm?

Regards,
Dan

Martin Michlmayr

Mar 4, 2021, 4:10:22 AM3/4/21
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
* Dániel Fancsali <fanc...@gmail.com> [2021-03-03 15:02]:
> I managed to get ledger to group the register by month, but cannot
> get it to do "balance at the end of the month for the months from X
> to Y"
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is this something that's not possible
> with ledger atm?

I'm not sure, but is there a reason you can't call ledger several
times, e.g.

ledger bal -p "until 2021-02-01"
ledger bal -p "until 2021-03-01"
ledger bal -p "until 2021-04-01"

Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/

Dániel Fancsali

Mar 4, 2021, 9:14:20 AM3/4/21
to Ledger
Indeed, that is a solution. To be honest, it did occur to me, but then I have to do some formatting myself... ;)