SRO to KMMO transition

Quentin Barrand

Jul 8, 2022, 6:47:01 PM7/8/22
to kubernete...@googlegroups.com
Hello SIG Node,

At a recent meeting [1], we announced our plan of transitioning from the Special Resource Operator (SRO) to the Kernel Module Management Operator (KMMO) for the management of out-of-tree kernel modules and device plugins. We intend to promote KMMO as a SIG Node project in lieu of SRO and are looking into renaming the existing (empty) repository [2] and Slack channel [3].
KMMO has a reduced scope compared to that of SRO and thus requires much less privileges. We have put together a document [4] that hopefully clarifies the reasoning behind the new approach and the differences between the two projects.

I am happy to answer any question you might have on this topic.

Thanks!
Quentin

--
Quentin Barrand
Senior Software Engineer, Ecosystems Engineering

Dawn Chen

Jul 12, 2022, 7:42:36 PM7/12/22
to Quentin Barrand, kubernetes-sig-node
Quentin,

Somehow I cannot comment on the transition doc you shared above. The plan lgtm.

Thanks,

Dawn