[VOTE] 3.1.0 RC1

David Jacot

Jan 12, 2022, 8:00:02 AM1/12/22
to d...@kafka.apache.org, us...@kafka.apache.org, kafka-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the second candidate for release of Apache Kafka 3.1.0.

* Apache Kafka supports Java 17
* The FetchRequest supports Topic IDs (KIP-516)
* Extend SASL/OAUTHBEARER with support for OIDC (KIP-768)
* Add broker count metrics (KIP-748)
* Differentiate consistently metric latency measured in millis and
nanos (KIP-773)
* The eager rebalance protocol is deprecated (KAFKA-13439)
* Add TaskId field to StreamsException (KIP-783)
* Custom partitioners in foreign-key joins (KIP-775)
* Fetch/findSessions queries with open endpoints for
SessionStore/WindowStore (KIP-766)
* Range queries with open endpoints (KIP-763)
* Add total blocked time metric to Streams (KIP-761)
* Add additional configuration to control MirrorMaker2 internal topics
naming convention (KIP-690)

Release notes for the 3.1.0 release:
https://home.apache.org/~dajac/kafka-3.1.0-rc1/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Monday, January 17, 9am PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~dajac/kafka-3.1.0-rc1/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~dajac/kafka-3.1.0-rc1/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 3.1 branch) is the 3.1.0 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/3.1.0-rc1

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/31/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/31/protocol.html

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 3.1 branch:
Unit/integration tests:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/3.1/60/
System tests:
https://jenkins.confluent.io/job/system-test-kafka/job/3.1/66/

/**************************************

Thanks,
David

Israel Ekpo

Jan 18, 2022, 11:00:01 AM1/18/22
to dev, Users, kafka-clients
Performed the following validations using the tools available here:

  • Verified signatures, keys and hashes for release artifacts
  • Deployed Multi-Node Cluster in Legacy Mode (with Zookeeper)
  • Deployed Multi-Node Cluster in KRaft Mode (without Zookeeper)
  • Can confirm that KAFKA-13456 works as expected after switching to 3.1.0
  • Briefly Walked Through 3.1 Documentation, Javadocs and Protocol Pages
+1 (non-binding) for the release candidate

Thanks for running this release

Israel Ekpo
Lead Instructor, IzzyAcademy.com

David Jacot

Jan 19, 2022, 8:43:30 AM1/19/22
to us...@kafka.apache.org, dev, kafka-clients
Thanks for all the votes! We are still missing two binding votes from
PMC members.

Best,
David

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 5:00 PM Israel Ekpo <israe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Performed the following validations using the tools available here:
>
> https://github.com/izzyacademy/apache-kafka-release-party
>
> - Verified signatures, keys and hashes for release artifacts
> - Deployed Multi-Node Cluster in Legacy Mode (with Zookeeper)
> - Deployed Multi-Node Cluster in KRaft Mode (without Zookeeper)
> - Can confirm that KAFKA-13456 works as expected after switching to 3.1.0
> - Briefly Walked Through 3.1 Documentation, Javadocs and Protocol Pages

Bill Bejeck

Jan 19, 2022, 3:19:43 PM1/19/22
to dev, users, kafka-clients
Hi David,

Thanks for running the release!

I did the following:
  1. Validated all signatures and keys
  2. Built from source
  3. Ran all the unit tests
  4. Spot checked the java docs, and the site docs
  5. Ran a portion of the quick start
  6. Ran the Kafka Streams demo application
I noticed one small error on the quick start page: the  "Kafka Streams demo and the app development tutorial" links still reference the 2.5 release.
This is a very minor issue and it doesn't require a new RC, we can simply update the links once released.

+1(binding)

Thanks,
Bill

Mickael Maison

Jan 20, 2022, 7:21:30 AM1/20/22
to dev, kafka-clients
Thanks David for running this release!

I checked signatures and keys, built from source and ran unit tests
with Java 11. I also ran the quickstart.

+1 (binding)

Thanks,
Mickael

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 9:20 PM Bill Bejeck <bbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for running the release!
>
> I did the following:
>
> 1. Validated all signatures and keys
> 2. Built from source
> 3. Ran all the unit tests
> 4. Spot checked the java docs, and the site docs
> 5. Ran a portion of the quick start
> 6. Ran the Kafka Streams demo application

David Jacot

Jan 21, 2022, 8:39:03 AM1/21/22
to d...@kafka.apache.org, Users, kafka-clients
Thanks for all the votes!

I'm also +1 (binding) given that:

* Ran the release and generated 3.1.0 RC1.
* Verified all checksums and signatures.
* Built from source and ran unit tests.
* Installed 3.1.0 RC1 and performed the quickstart for both ZK and KRaft.
* Spotchecked the Javadocs and the site doc.

I will close the vote shortly.

Best,
David

Israel Ekpo

Jan 21, 2022, 6:56:59 PM1/21/22
to David Jacot, Users, d...@kafka.apache.org, kafka-clients
Thanks for managing and running this release, David!

I am excited about this particular release and I appreciate every effort and contribution that made this possible.