Fwd: [sage-devel] European Horizon 2020 project OpenDreamKit accepted

Fernando Perez

May 19, 2015, 7:12:59 PM5/19/15
to jup...@googlegroups.com, IPython Development list
Hi all,

congrats to the OpenDreamKit team, who did an amazing job with an insanely competitive grant application. We're delighted to be able to collaborate with them, and look forward to having our EU-based operation grow :)

Cheers,

May 19, 2015, 7:36:29 PM5/19/15
to jup...@googlegroups.com, IPython Development list, Nicolas M. Thiéry
That is so exciting! Congrats Nicolas and team!

Might we ask what the IPython/Jupyter bits were?

Fernando Perez

May 19, 2015, 7:46:59 PM5/19/15
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Kyle Kelley <rgb...@gmail.com> wrote:
That is so exciting! Congrats Nicolas and team!

Might we ask what the IPython/Jupyter bits were?

There are teams at Simula (led by Hans Petter Langtangen, where Min will be in the future), Southampton (Hans Fangohr, where Thomas will be) and Sheffield (Neil Lawrence) who will all participate. If you want to read the full proposal, it's all on github:

they also wrote a nice post about the process (which I witnessed, and I have to take my hat off to Nicholas for an incredible leadership in producing a very coherent document under crazy constraints, something that is really, really hard):

We really look forward to the opportunities this will open up on the EU side, and again, congrats to Nicholas and the entire ODK team.  Now the real work starts :)

Cheers

Thomas Kluyver

May 19, 2015, 7:51:52 PM5/19/15
On 19 May 2015 at 16:36, Kyle Kelley <rgb...@gmail.com> wrote:
That is so exciting! Congrats Nicolas and team!

Might we ask what the IPython/Jupyter bits were?

There's a user interfaces 'work package', which includes:

- Full convergence of Jupyter and Sage notebooks
- Collaboration with notebooks (both version control improvements and support for Matthias' live collaboration work
- Reproducible notebooks with testing of output
- Documentation and introspection for dynamically defined objects
- Structured semantic documents, possibly building on notebooks
- 3D visualisations in the notebook
- A case study building a virtual research environment for the micromagnetic field, based on Jupyter, along with notebook resources for this, and a tmpnb instance for people to play with it.

This is just a summary, for the details, see page 44 and onwards in the PDF available on opendreamkit.org.

Thomas

Brian Granger

Jun 14, 2015, 5:22:29 PM6/14/15
to jup...@googlegroups.com, IPython Development list
Yes, many congrats on this. Very exciting to see this moving forward
and expanding the European side of funding for this ecosystem.

Cheers,

Brian
> "Project Jupyter" group.
> email to jupyter+u...@googlegroups.com.