Japan mirrors unstable

Noam Tamim

Jan 26, 2017, 3:24:55 PM1/26/17
to Jenkins Users
I run my Jenkins server in Israel, and when accessing http://mirrors.jenkins-ci.org, I get redirected to mirrors in Japan.
However - with those servers, downloads never finish. More often than not, I get "Connection reset by peer" errors.

Further, even though Israel and Japan are both technically in Asia - Israel is closer to Europe and the Internet connections to Europe are much stronger.

For those reasons, please redirect Israel requests to one of the European mirrors.

Thanks,
Noam.

R. Tyler Croy

Jan 26, 2017, 4:02:51 PM1/26/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)
Do you know which japanese mirrors you're hitting, we have a couple.

A wget or curl with verbosity turned up would probably help nail it down.
Unfortunately, I don't believe I can lock requests from a specific country to a
different set of mirrors, but if there is a slow or unstable link, I can tweak
the settings for that specific mirror.

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy

Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>
xmpp: rty...@jabber.org

% gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 1426C7DC3F51E16F
signature.asc

Noam Tamim

Jan 27, 2017, 4:27:40 AM1/27/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
Both ftp.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp and ftp.tsukuba.wide.ad.jp are randomly selected, with the same results.

Note that not only the link speed and reliability to Europe are better, but Europe is actually geographically closer to Israel than Japan.

Jenkins installation with the recommended plugins was a nightmare. I had to download individual plugins and upload them to Jenkins via CLI. An automated process of 10 minutes took more than an hour.

I don't know what your mirror selection criteria is, but the middle east is closer to Europe than to the far east.

Thanks for your time, Noam.