wiki.jenkins.io is now effectively in read-only mode

R. Tyler Croy

Oct 16, 2019, 8:18:45 PM10/16/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, in...@lists.jenkins-ci.org

Our primary wiki has been struggling lately without sufficient or motivation
from anybody in the infrastructure team to fix it or keep it alive. We have
also seen increased spam attacks, which must be pain-stakingly cleaned up.

As a stop-gap measure I have restricted adding pages, comments, and attachments
to administrators. I _believe_ edits will still work by users, but it's only a
matter of time before spammers start defacing plugin pages and things like
that.

Thanks to Oleg (I believe) plugins.jenkins.io can pull README.mds from GitHub
and display those inline. I strongly encourage everybody to consider this
approach for their plugin pages. I don't know how much longer we can keep
Confluence alive.

Please jump into #jenkins-infra on Freenode if you have any questions, or feel
like yelling (praise) at me about this.

Toodles

--
GitHub: https://github.com/rtyler

GPG Key ID: 0F2298A980EE31ACCA0A7825E5C92681BEF6CEA2
signature.asc

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 17, 2019, 1:36:54 AM10/17/19
to R. Tyler Croy, JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins INFRA group
GitHub documentation support is available thanks to Zbynek, I am just facilitating things and helping PRs to land. Anyway, I agree we should consider moving content to GitHub and jenkins.io where possible.

Some useful links:

* Plugin Documentation (including GitHub): https://jenkins.io/doc/developer/publishing/documentation/

In the Docs SIG we added the docs migration topic to the Hacktoberfest featured projects. We got some pull requests, but not that many so far. If anyone is interested to contribute in this area, please do so!

Best regards,
Oleg

Antonio Muñiz

Oct 17, 2019, 4:29:00 AM10/17/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, R. Tyler Croy, Jenkins INFRA group
> I don't know how much longer we can keep Confluence alive.

I've seen some links in jenkins.io still pointing to confluence (ie. https://jenkins.io/doc/developer/views/).
If confluence is going down, those should be migrated, I think.

Antonio Muñiz
Human, Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.

Baptiste Mathus

Oct 17, 2019, 6:29:39 AM10/17/19
to Jenkins Developers
Le jeu. 17 oct. 2019 à 02:18, R. Tyler Croy <rty...@brokenco.de> a écrit :

Our primary wiki has been struggling lately without sufficient or motivation
from anybody in the infrastructure team to fix it or keep it alive. We have
also seen increased spam attacks, which must be pain-stakingly cleaned up.

As a stop-gap measure I have restricted adding pages, comments, and attachments
to administrators. I _believe_ edits will still work by users, but it's only a
matter of time before spammers start defacing plugin pages and things like
that

AFAICT, it's not the case even for existing users. I checked and cannot edit my wiki page.

Don't we have a feature in Confluence to add a big warning in top of pages, for people logged in, to point them to this thread or so?
(more likely a redirect from jenkins.io) so people know why the wiki is RO, even temporarily, and start migrating?

We know many plugin devs do not actively follow the dev list.

Thanks to Oleg (I believe) plugins.jenkins.io can pull README.mds from GitHub
and display those inline. I strongly encourage everybody to consider this
approach for their plugin pages. I don't know how much longer we can keep
Confluence alive.

Please jump into #jenkins-infra on Freenode if you have any questions, or feel
like yelling (praise) at me about this.

Should we either temporarily re-enable access to edit, or provide a way to access markup code?

Or use services or tools like Pandoc to migrate from the rendered HTML like I've seen Oleg or Daniel recommend off-the-band.

Toodles

--
GitHub:  https://github.com/rtyler

GPG Key ID: 0F2298A980EE31ACCA0A7825E5C92681BEF6CEA2

Jesse Glick

Oct 17, 2019, 10:02:23 AM10/17/19
to Jenkins Dev
I am all for migrating content from Confluence to GitHub
(`jenkins-infra/jenkins.io`, `jenkinsci/*-plugin`, etc.), but we would
still need write access to Confluence at a minimum to delete the
content from a page and replace it with a note saying where the new
content lives!

Olblak

Oct 17, 2019, 11:05:41 AM10/17/19
to 'Gavin Mogan' via Jenkins Developers, jenkin...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
Don't we have a feature in Confluence to add a big warning in top of pages, for people logged in, to point them to this thread or so?

I added that warning message
Can we just add that information on top of every page, something like "The content of this page is deprecated in favor of plugins.jenkins.io/<the plugin id>"

Olivier

---
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 52210D3D

Daniel Beck

Oct 18, 2019, 6:27:35 AM10/18/19
to Jenkins Developers, jenkin...@lists.jenkins-ci.org

> On 17. Oct 2019, at 17:05, Olblak <m...@olblak.com> wrote:
>
>> Don't we have a feature in Confluence to add a big warning in top of pages, for people logged in, to point them to this thread or so?
>
> I added that warning message

It shows for everyone, but that way it prepares everyone for the eventual (I guess?) shutdown of the wiki.

>> I am all for migrating content from Confluence to GitHub
>> (`jenkins-infra/
>> jenkins.io
>> `, `jenkinsci/*-plugin`, etc.), but we would
>> still need write access to Confluence at a minimum to delete the
>> content from a page and replace it with a note saying where the new
>> content lives!
>>

> Can we just add that information on top of every page, something like "The content of this page is deprecated in favor of plugins.jenkins.io/<the plugin id>"

I propose that we restore write access for plugin maintainers at least for a time, to allow them to clear out wiki pages after migrating the content elsewhere. The script for that basically exists at https://github.com/jenkins-infra/wiki-maintainers-updater -- grant write access only to that group and you're basically done.

Combined with the giant notice on top (perhaps slightly reworded) it should be clear that this is temporary, and the expectation is for the content to be moved, rather than just edited.

Jesse Glick

Oct 18, 2019, 8:52:07 AM10/18/19
to Jenkins Dev
On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 6:27 AM Daniel Beck <m...@beckweb.net> wrote:
> I propose that we restore write access for plugin maintainers at least for a time, to allow them to clear out wiki pages after migrating the content elsewhere.

Makes sense, but is there some plan to notify maintainers of plugins
who have not done this? There are a couple thousand pages out there,
and many people will not see mailing list notifications reliably.

Robert Sandell

Oct 18, 2019, 10:24:38 AM10/18/19
to Jenkins Developer List
And how do I mark a plugin as up for adoption without the wiki labels?

/B

Robert Sandell
Software Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.
CloudBees-Logo.png
Twitter: robert_sandell

Tim Jacomb

Oct 18, 2019, 12:52:02 PM10/18/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Could use GitHub topics? Or just add to the readme

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 19, 2019, 3:53:33 AM10/19/19
to Jenkins Developers
First version of the plugin Wiki=>GitHub migration guide is available here: https://jenkins.io/doc/developer/publishing/wiki-page/#migrating-from-wiki-to-github
Later it will be improved once I finish the migration tool on the top of Pandoc

Could use GitHub topics? Or just add to the readme

Yes, I agree we should use GitHub topics. I already have a prototype of integration between GitHub topics and  the plugin site, and we can also replace queries on the Wiki page while moving it to jenkins.io

Den fre 18 okt. 2019 kl 14:52 skrev Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com>:
On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 6:27 AM Daniel Beck <m...@beckweb.net> wrote:
> I propose that we restore write access for plugin maintainers at least for a time, to allow them to clear out wiki pages after migrating the content elsewhere.

Makes sense, but is there some plan to notify maintainers of plugins
who have not done this? There are a couple thousand pages out there,
and many people will not see mailing list notifications reliably.

Robert Sandell
Software Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.
CloudBees-Logo.png
Twitter: robert_sandell

Tim Jacomb

Oct 19, 2019, 12:43:29 PM10/19/19
to Jenkins Developers
Do we have any information on the Wiki pages that get the most hits, that way we could target specific pages to migrate to github / jenkins.io?

A quick google suggests the below, but they may not be enabled:

Thanks
Tim

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/c9d5e4ee-6987-4138-9b48-299b3e58cb7e%40googlegroups.com.

Gavin Mogan

Oct 19, 2019, 3:54:25 PM10/19/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Last night I started a little web app to make the migration easier for people

https://jenkins-wiki-md.g4v.dev/ (for example, try out "blueocean")

I have to incorporate some of the items oleg mentioned in the doc, but its a start.

Gavin

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/c9d5e4ee-6987-4138-9b48-299b3e58cb7e%40googlegroups.com.

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 20, 2019, 4:50:02 AM10/20/19
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks Gavin!

I submitted the pull request for truncating RAW HTML which should improve the layout. More pull requests to come soon. I would suggest hosting this service on jenkinsci or jenkins-infra. I think we can get a lot of contributions. Also, I think we should reserve opportunities to add support of Asciidoc export for jenkins.io and README.adoc later, so probably the final name could be `jenkins-wiki-exporter` or so.

One of the topics we will need to think about is images. Right now the tool references images from Confluence, which is a bad idea.
I will try to reimplement by guidelines in JS and to add support of ZIP download if you agree, Gavin. It will imply some temporary file magic.

BR, Oleg

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 9:54:25 PM UTC+2, Gavin Mogan wrote:
Last night I started a little web app to make the migration easier for people

https://jenkins-wiki-md.g4v.dev/ (for example, try out "blueocean")

I have to incorporate some of the items oleg mentioned in the doc, but its a start.

Gavin

Gavin Mogan

Oct 20, 2019, 5:11:24 PM10/20/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the PR, I've deployed the change, and started to get prepped for straight up markdown, markdown + zip with images, and eventually adoc

I'm totally up for forking it to infra or something, I have no idea how to do that though.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/282c2420-40a7-4f91-b74c-12f00bfa4edd%40googlegroups.com.

Gavin Mogan

Oct 20, 2019, 11:32:21 PM10/20/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Okay~~~

https://jenkins-wiki-exporter.g4v.dev/ is now updated to support markdown, or a zip of markdown + images

Gavin

Gavin Mogan

Oct 20, 2019, 11:42:28 PM10/20/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
  • > Asciidoc format can be used as well, with the .adoc extension.

  • I can add that pretty easily

  • > Remove the macro references in the top of the document.

  • Totally done

> If the document includes "Table of contents", remove this section in Markdown or replace it by :toc: macros in Asciidoc (example).

If anyone has an example of that, I can add that

> If the source Wiki page includes code blocks, they will need to be manually converted. Pandoc exports them as tables.

I don't think I can automatically handle this, but if anyone has examples I can try things out.

This tiny little project its starting to get bigger so I probably need to start saving test cases soon

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 21, 2019, 7:27:00 AM10/21/19
to Jenkins Developers
I have created https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/2589 to document the service usage.
Also, created few tickets in https://github.com/halkeye/jenkins-wiki-exporter so that we can fix exposrt for some plugins and support non-plugin issues.
But overall it works great, thanks Gavin!

Also created https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/INFRA-2297 for hosting in the Jenkins infra.
I suppose we can use WEBSITE-637 EPIC for all related stories.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 2:11 PM Gavin Mogan <ga...@gavinmogan.com> wrote:
Thanks for the PR, I've deployed the change, and started to get prepped for straight up markdown, markdown + zip with images, and eventually adoc

I'm totally up for forking it to infra or something, I have no idea how to do that though.

Damian Szczepanik

Oct 25, 2019, 5:11:05 PM10/25/19
to Jenkins Developers

Should we either temporarily re-enable access to edit, or provide a way to access markup code?

Can we use daniel-beck-bot to update each repo with proper <url> to github page as described https://jenkins.io/doc/developer/publishing/documentation/ ? That way we easily inform developers that documentation should be migrated.

How about installations stats - would it be possible to have trends put on the github README file? For example my new plugin does not have it https://plugins.jenkins.io/build-history-manager and I don't know if this is plugin problem or result of RO state.

Damian

Gavin Mogan

Oct 25, 2019, 5:13:09 PM10/25/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
> Can we use daniel-beck-bot to update each repo with proper <url> to github page as described https://jenkins.io/doc/developer/publishing/documentation/ ? That way we easily inform developers that documentation should be migrated.

<url> is only processed from the released metadata, so updating github doesn't really help that much. Plus in theory they should also update README.md

I would like to see this automated, but I think we need more discovery first.

Jesse Glick

Oct 25, 2019, 5:15:23 PM10/25/19
to Jenkins Dev
On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 5:13 PM Gavin Mogan <gmo...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>> Can we use daniel-beck-bot to update each repo with proper <url> to github page
>
> <url> is only processed from the released metadata, so updating github doesn't really help that much. Plus in theory they should also update README.md

I interpreted this to mean just filing, say, a draft PR showing the
`url` change and requesting that the tool be used to update
`README.md`. It would not be mergeable as is, merely a prompt.

Jesse Glick

Oct 25, 2019, 5:17:30 PM10/25/19
to Jenkins Dev

Daniel Lo Nigro

May 2, 2020, 2:24:59 PM5/2/20
to Jenkins Developers
What about wiki pages that are not plugin-related, for example things like https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Jenkins+behind+an+NGinX+reverse+proxy. Is there a plan to move these somewhere else?

Gavin Mogan

May 2, 2020, 2:31:20 PM5/2/20
to Jenkins Developers
They are slowly getting cleaned up and rewritten and migrated to jenkins.io, the docs team will always enjoy extra help with that.

That specific one I would have thought was already migrated, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm sure the docs team will love a PR to https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io and https://jenkins-wiki-exporter.jenkins.io/ can actually help you get started.

Gavin

Mark Waite

May 2, 2020, 2:37:29 PM5/2/20
to jenkinsci-dev
On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 12:31 PM 'Gavin Mogan' via Jenkins Developers <jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
They are slowly getting cleaned up and rewritten and migrated to jenkins.io, the docs team will always enjoy extra help with that.

That specific one I would have thought was already migrated, but I can't seem to find it.

That specific page is especially challenging because of the specialized knowledge that is required to create a good nginx configuration.  It has not been migrated.

There are already two pages on wiki.jenkins.io describing nginx configuration (here and here).  When I configured an nginx reverse proxy for Jenkins, I found the information confusing and contradictory.  Unfortunately, I'm not an nginx expert, so once I found a combination that worked, I stopped exploring further.

I'm sure the docs team will love a PR to https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io and https://jenkins-wiki-exporter.jenkins.io/ can actually help you get started.

Yes, we'd love to have contributions, especially in areas of high specialization, like nginx and Apache reverse proxy configuration.

Mark Waite