Jenkins Upgrades to Java 8 -- now

Baptiste Mathus

Apr 3, 2017, 4:39:28 PM4/3/17
to Jenkins Developers
Changing the title to be more catchy and reflect more the reality.

PR is up at https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/2802 and has already been approved by Jesse and Oleg. More eyes are always welcome though.

If nobody objects, and if nobody does it before me, I think I will merge this PR before the end of the week.

Which means upcoming weekly would then require Java 8 to run.

In case you missed the previous trains:

https://jenkins.io/blog/2016/11/22/what-jvm-versions-are-running-jenkins-the-return/

PR for Java 8 baseline bump is up at https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/2802

Reviews much welcome.

Thanks!

Follow-up: https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/2698 is the PR to add Windows build to the core.

Thanks Alex!

Review welcome to speed up the process and merge hopefully soon.

Great, Alex \o/.

Tyler had played a bit the informer about it on you, but couldn't find this on the existing PRs and didn't ask you afterwards. ;-)
Then mostly fixing tests is left TBD IIUC.

I have a PR almost ready for Jenkinsfile to build on Windows and Linux.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 7:42 AM Baptiste Mathus <m...@batmat.net> wrote:
OK, sounds like a plan. IIUC think we have an agreement.

> So I am +1k on switching to JDK8 with the proviso that at the time the call is made to do that the code is building and passing tests correctly.

So I propose we do three things:

1) Start the process proposed by Oliver, Day 0 will be when the blog entry is published
2) Fix the Windows failing tests (on adding the right assumptions depending on the cases)
2') Modify Jenkinsfile to build also the core on Windows -- I'm volunteering to drive that, and can commit to do it (or reconcile the possibly existing bits) before the end of January.

If we agree and publish the blog entry and announces on the users ML, then it would make the ~ 2.50 (2.37+12) the first weekly to be JDK8 baselined.
So as to Oliver's plan, there would be ~ 3 to 5 months from now for the first JDK8 LTS.

Any issue with this plan?

I won't be able to attend the gov meeting tonight again. But I'm hopeful that could be discussed w/o me like last time
(yeah, contrary to my initial thoughts, finally bitten myself by the time shift of the gov meeting we did some weeks ago, a wee bit too early for me those days :-/).

-- Baptiste

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 9:11:12 PM UTC, Baptiste Mathus wrote:
@James, so can you please give us an update of the current state about this?

My understanding is the following below, can you confirm/complete?

I am -1000 on this.

The code does not pass tests on windows.  Using java8 you force me to use a Virtual machine which sucks.

So, IIUC, the tests are actually already failing with JDK7.

On windows they fail with JDK7 or JDK8 - the issue is that you can not have a non virtual dev env on Windows 10 iff you move to require JDK8 as bash in ubuntu in windows does not support JDK8

So though I agree this is important to fix (and Alex provided an interested feedback about that, thanks Alex!), I guess this isn't a criterion for JDK7=>JDK8 upgrade, right?

Well that depends...
Currently I can build on windows using bash on ubuntu on windows using JDK7.
And as such if you required JDK8 I would not be able to build (and have all the unit tests passing)

Using Windows subsystem for Linux gets you ubuntu 14.04 which does not have native support for JDK8.

If the first reason is actually fixable, does it make that second one still actual? My understanding is no, because w/o Linux specific tests, you would be able to work without falling back to using the VM subsystem.

I don't follow...

And even if so, IIRC, we found there was apparently a (currently) Beta program when one could get 16.04, hence JDK8, right?

Right.....  Let me switch my primary OS over to use Windows insider program as well as Beta software I already have to use, what could possibly go wrong :-P

In that case, it should/could appear reasonable then because in the meantime of the actual baseline upgrade (D+3 Months for weeklies as per Oliver's proposal) that Beta could possibly have graduated to GA (if it hasn't already?).

Well in 3 months I hope the tests could be fixed and stay fixed instead :-)
(OT: I think the MS updates come in 6 month intervals so 3 months from now would be a little too quick)

IOW, do you still have any reason to want to block that baseline upgrade, or are you now fine with it?

What I'm saying is that by the time this call is made to switch there needs to be a native solution for building Jenkins on Windows (and Linux and OSX[1]).  The easiest approach I see would be to fix the unit tests /code  - which Alex already took a look at and should be possible.

So I am +1k on switching to JDK8 with the proviso that at the time the call is made to do that the code is building and passing tests correctly.

[1] not that there are any OSX agents on ci.jenkins.io - but normally OSx is closeish enough to Linux that you don't hit things like locking/network stack differences/line ends/spaces in dir names which cause tests/code to fail.

Jesse Glick

Apr 4, 2017, 10:28:51 AM4/4/17
to Jenkins Dev
On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Baptiste Mathus <m...@batmat.net> wrote:
> Which means upcoming weekly would then require Java 8 to run.

+1

Robert Sandell

Apr 4, 2017, 10:31:40 AM4/4/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com