Jenkins in Outreachy May 2019 round?

Tracy Miranda

Feb 11, 2019, 7:31:00 AM2/11/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The application period for the next round of Outreachy internships will
open in a week on Monday, February 18.

Timeline is roughly:
Feb 18 - Mar 12: Communities sign up & add projects/mentors.
March 5 - last date for communities to sign up
Feb 18 - Mar 26: Application period for interns
May 6 - Accepted interns announced
May 20 - Aug 20 - Internships period

For Jenkins to join again by deadline of March 5th we will need 3 things:

1. Mentors - who is interested in being a mentor for this round?

2. Money - I'll ask at an upcoming board meeting if we have funding to cover an intern or two

3. Projects - who has a project that would fit Outreachy format? (includes non-coding projects, e.g. docs)

Oh yeah, forgot, one more bonus thing, we also need all your support. If you've been participating in the current Outreachy round please let us know. Also if you generally think this is a good idea also please +1 and let us know (whether or not you participate in the program).

Regards,
Tracy

Rick

Feb 11, 2019, 8:30:12 AM2/11/19
to Developers Jenkins
hi Tracy,

Good to hear this. Just finish my translation work for https://jenkins.io/blog/2018/12/10/outreachy-audit-log-plugin/. I totally support it.

I'd love to be the mentor.

+1 from me

Regards,
Rick

R. Tyler Croy

Feb 11, 2019, 9:33:14 AM2/11/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019, Tracy Miranda wrote:

> The application period for the next round of Outreachy internships will
> open in a week on Monday, February 18.
>
> Timeline <https://www.outreachy.org/apply/project-selection/> is roughly:
> Feb 18 - Mar 12: Communities sign up & add projects/mentors.
> *March 5 - last date for communities to sign up*
> Feb 18 - Mar 26: Application period for interns
> May 6 - Accepted interns announced
> *May 20 - Aug 20 - Internships period*

This timeline is overlaps with Google Summer of Code which I believe we're
already in the process of applying for. Of course we're not guaranteed slots in
GSoC, so Outreachy is certainly more of a "sure thing."

The mentorship is going to be a challenge IMHO. I would love to see mentors
committed from the major companies contributing to Jenkins (and considering the
CDF), since there's oonly so much Oleg and Martin can do ;)

In general however, I'm highly supportive of another round of Outreachy
interns, but I won't be able to mentor this time around unfortunately as I'll
be likely taking on two interns this summer as is! :-!

Cheers
--
GitHub: https://github.com/rtyler

GPG Key ID: 0F2298A980EE31ACCA0A7825E5C92681BEF6CEA2
signature.asc

Matt Sicker

Feb 11, 2019, 2:55:46 PM2/11/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to mentor or co-mentor again. I can either continue the audit log plugin project, or I can work on a different project entirely.

Matt Sicker
Software Engineer, CloudBees

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 12, 2019, 1:53:28 AM2/12/19
to Jenkins Developers
 Hi all,

TL;DR: +1, but also with reservations about GSoC

I definitely support participating in Outreachy, but I am not sure about doing it during the summer season in parallel with GSoC. We have applied to GSoC, and right now we have 25+ project ideas, 4 org admins and 25+ potential mentors: https://jenkins.io/projects/gsoc/2019/project-ideas/ . Tyler is right that we could benefit from bringing in more mentors and project ideas, but I believe we are okay with the current state. We already have a dozen of active students investigating projects and doing contributions. If we get accepted, I believe GSoC will be pretty big this year.

Being compared to GSoC, Outreachy offers opportunities for non-student contributors to participate. This is a main differentiator from the community outreach standpoint. OTOH GSoC is much more cost-effective than Outreachy for the community. In GSoC we actually get money to support travel grants for students and mentors instead of paying 5K+ USD like it happens in Outreachy.

Maybe it makes sense to wait till GSoC announcements on Feb 26 before applying. IMHO we should keep participating in Outreachy anyway, but, if we get accepted to GSoC, we should firstly target students who are not eligible to participate in GSoC due to any reasons.

BR, Oleg

P.S: Unfortunately Outreachy is based in US and prohibits potential students from embargoed regions (Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, or Sudan), hence here there is no difference from GSoC unfortunately . Also, non-US national minorities are not eligible. That's a shame for such program