Jenkins in Hacktoberfest 2018?

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 26, 2018, 5:53:12 AM9/26/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

There will be a Hacktoberfest this year. We participated in 2017, and we have got around 20 unique contributors. I propose the following:
  • Announce the event, process is similar to 2017
  • Introduce a better way to report changes
    • Hacktoberfest requires labels
    • Last year we were using a @hacktoberfest group mention, but it requires a person to be a member of the org (Jenkins or Jenkins Infra). Last year we ended up running GitHub queries
    • I would propose to use jenkins/jenkins Gitter as a backup channel
  • Invite meetup organizers to run local hackfest events
    • I am planning a Swiss Jenkins Meetup
    • Day of Jenkins [as code] also has a hackathon within the timeframe
    • We could do something during DevOps World | Jenkins World on Oct 22. Ready to run it if somebody is interested
WDYT? No budget required, but we could send some Jenkins swag to top contributors

Best regards, Oleg

Matt Sicker

Sep 26, 2018, 1:23:32 PM9/26/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea. I've submitted it to the Chicago JAM to see if there's interest there.

Matt Sicker
Software Engineer, CloudBees

arch

Sep 26, 2018, 7:02:33 PM9/26/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning a Beijing Jenkins Meetup.

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 26, 2018, 7:38:42 PM9/26/18
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks to everyone who is interested. At the Governance meeting we agreed to move forward and announce Hacktoberfest.
I will draft the blogpost and submit it as WiP so that it can be reviewed.

I will also make sure to add some guidelines for meetup organizers there.

BR, Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 28, 2018, 7:31:21 AM9/28/18
to Jenkins Developers
We approved participating in Hacktoberfest at the last Giovernance meeting

I have signed up several subproject maintainers for quick review cycles.
If you are interested to get your plugins/projects listed, please respond to this thread.

Best regards,
Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 1, 2018, 4:47:56 PM10/1/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Let the hacking commence!

Just in case, we have Hacktoberfest assist teams in GitHub:
If somebody is interested to help with reviews, please let me know. We will add you to the teams

Best regards,
Oleg

R. Tyler Croy

Oct 1, 2018, 8:27:39 PM10/1/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)

On Mon, 01 Oct 2018, Oleg Nenashev wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are live: https://jenkins.io/blog/2018/10/01/hacktoberfest/
> Let the hacking commence!

Excellent work! Thanks for leading the charge Oleg, I'm looking forward to
some fun hacking from everybody this month :)

--
GitHub: https://github.com/rtyler
Twitter: https://twitter.com/agentdero

arch

Oct 1, 2018, 9:03:23 PM10/1/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I can help review Chinese localization pr. Thanks Oleg.

Baptiste Mathus

Oct 2, 2018, 4:54:22 AM10/2/18
to Jenkins Developers
Woot! Thanks Oleg!

Goes without saying, we'll be more than happy to provide any guidance for Jenkins Evergreen hacking.