Jakarta EE 10 Deck

Reza Rahman

Jun 8, 2022, 11:38:04 PM6/8/22
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Hi folks,

I am beginning to put together my Jakarta EE 10 deck:
https://1drv.ms/p/s!AlSoTwbDM7bzgeYG6M4aS_Mi2Pbemg?e=uc6ccj. I have to
be honest that this was very tough as accurate and complete information
on Jakarta EE 10 has been very difficult to come by at the moment.

Can I kindly ask for a review? At this point, 100% accuracy and
completeness is probably not possible but I would like to avoid obvious
mistakes.

Once I have delivered the talk a few times, I will add a heavy amount of
speaker notes, record the talk and make it possible for any Ambassador
to deliver the talk themselves.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reza Rahman

Please note views expressed here are my own as an individual community
member and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Ivar Grimstad

Jun 9, 2022, 6:27:59 AM6/9/22
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hi Reza,

Thanks for setting this up!
As I promised, I will send you the rest of my slides when they have been updated so you can add them to the ones you got previously.

You say it is hard to find the information, which makes me curious. What is missing on the specification pages [1]?
The goal is that these pages should be a one-stop place to find all information about the various specification releases.

Note that the Specification Committee is currently going over each specification to add a "Short Summary" section modeled after this template [2].
This work is not complete yet, so bear with us a little until we get it done. An example of what it may look like is Jakarta Connectors 2.1 [3].

Each specification document contains a "What's new" section and a changelog, and we don't want to duplicate too much of this information on the summary page.
Just the key features of the release.

Hope this helps!

Ivar

Ivar Grimstad

Jakarta EE Developer Advocate | Eclipse Foundation Eclipse Foundation - Community. Code. Collaboration.

Reza Rahman

Jun 9, 2022, 7:49:48 AM6/9/22
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

With all respect, I think it's important to look at this from the standpoint of someone that doesn't have a lot of time to be abreast of all specification development. So far, the only way to understand what changed is essentially to navigate each specification document and see if the exact delta is well-documented somehow. Sometimes it is and sometimes it is not (I would assess the quality of this information currently at something like 50%). If you like I can go over it again and list the specific rough spots that are very hard to track down.

In the meanwhile, if folks could do an old fashioned review, I would really appreciate it. I do need to deliver this talk as soon as a few weeks from now.

Reza Rahman

Jun 9, 2022, 8:08:57 AM6/9/22
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

Unfortunately PPT and OneDrive does not make this easy.  The only real way is to give everyone edit access, which isn't exactly too reliable.

Please provide feedback here in the form of "On slide X, Y is not accurate - Z would be accurate".

I plan to explain the color coding on slide 8 when I get a chance via speaker notes. The intent of this slide is to map the contents of the Ambassadors' Jakarta EE 10 contributor guide (https://jakartaee-ambassadors.io/guide-to-contributing-to-jakarta-ee-10/) to what actually made it into Jakarta EE 10 and what seems committed although it did not make it. You could think of it as a score card of sorts.

The items in dark green are the things that made it into Jakarta EE 10. The items in light green are the things that looks like they are going to happen but just did not make it into Jakarta EE 10. The items in black are important gaps that really have not been addressed yet to my knowledge. I considered putting these items in light red, but I think readability really suffers if I did that. I tried different color schemes but I think this is the best I could figure without complicating the slide any more with animations, etc.

On 6/9/2022 7:19 AM, Rudy De Busscher wrote:
Hi Reza,

How can we provide feedback on some slides?  I can't make some comments, it seems.

For example, slide 8 contains some items that are not in Jakarta EE 10 (and they are also not repeated later on when each spec is covered in more detail)

Thx
Rudy

Ivar Grimstad

Jun 9, 2022, 9:11:35 AM6/9/22
On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 1:49 PM Reza Rahman <reza_...@lycos.com> wrote:

With all respect, I think it's important to look at this from the standpoint of someone that doesn't have a lot of time to be abreast of all specification development. So far, the only way to understand what changed is essentially to navigate each specification document and see if the exact delta is well-documented somehow. Sometimes it is and sometimes it is not (I would assess the quality of this information currently at something like 50%). If you like I can go over it again and list the specific rough spots that are very hard to track down.

Right, documentation is always the hardest part of an open-source project. The Jakarta EE Specification Committee defines the documentation structure, but it is entirely up to each one of the individual open-source specification projects to provide the actual text. There is no central entity providing this service.
Documentation is probably one of the most appreciated contributions that can be made to an open-source project. The more help, the better documentation.

Ivar

arjan tijms

Jun 9, 2022, 12:04:56 PM6/9/22
to Ivar Grimstad, Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

arjan tijms

Jun 9, 2022, 12:11:40 PM6/9/22
to Ivar Grimstad, Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hi,

On Slide 8

@Lock and @MaxConcurrency didn't make it in. @RolesAllowed and @RunAs again fell off the wagon as well. JWT alignment (quite unfortunately really) wasn't done either.

Deprecation/removal could add deprecated CDI methods.

Maybe it wasn't updated? As the other slides talking about security and concurrency indeed don't discuss these. Or is slide 8 just about what was intended to be done?

Kind regards,
Arjan

Reza Rahman

Jun 9, 2022, 12:11:50 PM6/9/22
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

Yep, looked at all these. Unfortunately was unsure of their accuracy and completeness too (which is why I tried to also look at the specification documents themselves in addition to what Ivar managed to get for me).

Thanks for pointing these out though.

Reza Rahman

Jun 9, 2022, 12:16:38 PM6/9/22
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

Thanks for checking/confirming. Repeating from my earlier email:

[...]

Good point on some of the CDI deprecation. Let me see how I can add them.

Nathan Rauh

Jun 9, 2022, 2:09:47 PM6/9/22
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

Reza,

CDI Context Propagation (slide 10) did not make EE 10 and should be switched to an EE 11 goal (slide 25).  In place of it on slide 10, you could list Context Propagation for third-party context providers.

From: jakarta.ee-community <jakarta.ee-com...@eclipse.org> on behalf of Reza Rahman <reza_...@lycos.com>
Date: Thursday, June 9, 2022 at 11:16 AM
To: Jakarta EE community discussions <jakarta.ee...@eclipse.org>, Jakarta EE Ambassadors <jakartaee-...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [jakarta.ee-community] [jakartaee-ambassadors] Re: Jakarta EE 10 Deck

Thanks for checking/confirming. Repeating from my earlier email: "I plan to explain the color coding on slide 8 when I get a chance via speaker notes. The intent of this slide is to map the contents of the Ambassadors' Jakarta EE 10 contributor

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart

This Message Is From an External Sender

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

Reza Rahman

Jun 9, 2022, 2:12:00 PM6/9/22
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

Thanks for the review. I'll make the updates ASAP.

Ondro Mihályi

Jun 10, 2022, 4:29:27 AM6/10/22
to Reza Rahman, Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Here's my feedback:

  • Context propagation didn't make it to EE 10 as Nathan wrote
  • Not mentioned: Support for ForkJoinPool threads and parallel streams in a managed context

Slide 13 (REST), these are not mentioned - see https://dev.to/andymc12/what-s-coming-in-jakarta-rest-3-1-ole:
  • Standardized providing a custom default configuration of JSON-B mapping for REST services
  • Provider Extensions - allow extend REST services from outside of the deployed WAR
  • Deprecation of @Context injection
Slide 18 (Persistence), this is not mentioned:
  • Servlet immutable request and response wrapper - to safely pass request and response asynchronous processes
  • URI security protection
  • Cookie extra attributes
  • Removal of deprecated methods
I would also move "better CDI support for Batch" from slide 25 (EE 11 themes) to slide 24 (Other changes), because Batch has already improved CDI alignment a lot in the latest release, see (Batch 2.1 changes

On slide 27 (Summary), I would mention that work on Jakarta EE 11 has already started, and people can already get involved with it.

A typo in slide 20 (Faces):
  • at the bottom, /<f:selectItemGroup> should be </f:selectItemGroup>
All the best,
Ondro

št 9. 6. 2022 o 20:12 Reza Rahman <reza_...@lycos.com> napísal(a):

Reza Rahman

Jun 10, 2022, 6:27:32 PM6/10/22
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

Thanks for the review. Responses below, extra text removed for brevity.

On 6/10/22 4:29 AM, Ondro Mihályi wrote:
Context propagation didn't make it to EE 10 as Nathan wrote
Already addressed.

  • Not mentioned: Support for ForkJoinPool threads and parallel streams in a managed context
Good point. Added.

Standardized providing a custom default configuration of JSON-B mapping for REST services
  • Provider Extensions - allow extend REST services from outside of the deployed WAR
To be honest I think these are a bit obscure. That's why I left them out. I think they are fine as part of a Jakarta REST talk or article
  • Deprecation of @Context injection
Good point. Added.
Slide 18 (Persistence), this is not mentioned:
To be honest I think this is a bit obscure. That's why I left it out. I think it is fine as part of a Jakarta Persistence talk or article
Servlet immutable request and response wrapper - to safely pass request and response asynchronous processes
  • URI security protection
  • Cookie extra attributes
To be honest I think these are a bit obscure. That's why I left them out. I think they are fine as part of a Servlet talk or article
This is actually already mentioned.

I would also move "better CDI support for Batch" from slide 25 (EE 11 themes) to slide 24 (Other changes), because Batch has already improved CDI alignment a lot in the latest release, see (Batch 2.1 changes
Good point. Somehow this slipped my mind. Addressed.

On slide 27 (Summary), I would mention that work on Jakarta EE 11 has already started, and people can already get involved with it.
Good point. Addressed.

at the bottom, /<f:selectItemGroup> should be </f:selectItemGroup>

I have replaced "/" with "and". That was the intent.

Reza Rahman

Dec 31, 2022, 3:54:23 PM12/31/22
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
At this point I am fairly sure my deck is accurate, I have delivered it
a few times, have a recording to share and have taken the time to add
some speaker notes:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/10Xev5TFxkbh4IrhfnDPSd2fU1vCMgf3w/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=105337742626157521641&rtpof=true&sd=true.

Can you kindly review in the next couple of weeks with a view towards
making it available as a shared resource via the Jakarta EE
Ambassadors?:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ohinS4JaDSEjsoFLYeyVOsBii_A-4sRf?usp=sharing.
I believe Google Drive makes it fairly easy to comment and suggest edits.

Reza Rahman

Jan 5, 2023, 5:56:01 PM1/5/23
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
A gentle reminder to kindly review. I am hoping to make this a shared
resource so people can begin using it by next weekend (so around the 15th).

Ondro Mihályi

Jan 5, 2023, 7:16:18 PM1/5/23
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
I had a quick look and it seems fine to me.

Reza Rahman

Jan 15, 2023, 11:50:02 AM1/15/23
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions

Akhilesh Tyagi

Jan 16, 2023, 11:00:12 AM1/16/23
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
This is a very good deck. Thank you - everyone involved - for the putting it together.

Kito D. Mann

Jan 16, 2023, 1:34:36 PM1/16/23
to Reza Rahman, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Thanks for putting this together, Reza.
___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | Java Champion | Google Developer Expert Alumni | LinkedIn
Expert consulting and training: Cloud architecture and modernization, Java/Jakarta EE, Web Components, Angular, Mobile Web
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to Stackd Podcast.
* Speak at conferences? Check out SpeakerTrax.