Moving Forward Cargo Tracker

Reza Rahman

Jun 14, 2020, 10:22:20 PM6/14/20
to cargotra...@eclipse.org, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions, Theodor Augustin Dumitrescu
Folks,

Now that Jakarta EE 9 is spinning down, this is the right time for Theo
and myself to begin moving forward Cargo Tracker (though for me Jakarta
EE 10 and the Jakarta EE Ambassadors remains a higher priority). If you
wish to join us, you are most welcome (do note though that we are not
quite ready to accept contributions yet - I will make a specific call to
action shortly):

Project mailing list:

Repository: https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker

The first order of business is general cleanup and the first release
targeting Java EE 7. This will include moving the website and
documentation from it's temporary home here:
https://m-reza-rahman.github.io/cargo-tracker/. We will then create a
second release incorporating key Jakarta EE 8 features (I started that
work here: https://github.com/m-reza-rahman/cargo-tracker). Next we will
have a release targeting Jakarta EE 9. After that, we will move forward
on the longer pending parts of our roadmap:
https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/issues.

Reza Rahman

Please note views expressed here are my own as an individual community
member and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Hantsy Bai

Jun 15, 2020, 12:10:36 AM6/15/20
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hi Reza, I really like this project, it is a good sample to learn Jakarta EE and DDD together.

I have clone the codes, it seems currently it's only focusing on Glassfish v5.

I hope all the work can be split into small tasks and use Github **Project** feature to track the progress. I hope I can help this project.

Regards.
Hantsy

在 2020年6月15日星期一 UTC+8上午10:22:20,Reza Rahman写道:

Nishant Raut

Jun 15, 2020, 4:48:23 AM6/15/20
to Reza Rahman, cargotra...@eclipse.org, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions, Theodor Augustin Dumitrescu
This is great news Reza. Let me know if i can help in any way.

Thanks and Regards,
Nishant Raut
https://twitter.com/rautnishant

Theodor Augustin Dumitrescu

Jun 15, 2020, 8:31:05 AM6/15/20
to Nishant Raut, Reza Rahman, cargotra...@eclipse.org, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Hi folks,

thanks for your interest.
Right now I'm working with Reza to align Ellipse's branch with the original version of Cargo and ensuring that everything is working. We should be done this week.

The idea of integrating using a kanban board on GitHub is a good one. There will be a lot of things to do.

The main idea is to define branches of Cargo for each JakartaEE version and also for JavaEE 8 which is our starting point.
We'd like also to move the code and keep it up with the JVM versions but for now, the goal is to introduce all the features from Java 8. A lot of folks are still working with JavaEE and Java 8 or lower levels. So having a branch with JavaEE is for giving them a reference point.

Later I'll discuss with Reza regarding how we should divide the work. We could for example work on the different versions in parallel. But for me it would be important to have good consistency between branches. In my view, they should provide a clear understanding of the new features and also how to properly move from the version below to the new one.

Theodor Augustin Dumitrescu

Jun 15, 2020, 6:46:51 PM6/15/20
to Nishant Raut, han...@gmail.com, Reza Rahman, cargotra...@eclipse.org, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Hi @Hansty Bai and @Nishant Raut ,

I just discussed with Reza the current status and before moving forward with the code I need to investigate some issues. In the meantime, there is another thing that could be done.

Reza's project contains a branch gh-pages[1][2]. It would be wonderful if you could start working on moving this branch to Eclipse.
Here we need to move the references from JavaEE to Jakarta (also Cargo's packages have been changed), and to improve the documentation adding a more in-depth explanation of the features and how they were implemented.

What do you think, Reza? Could it be a good idea adding a section in which we explain how a certain JakartaEE's API is useful for a certain feature? In this way the Cargo website will be also a huge tutorial about working with Jakarta.

Theodor Augustin Dumitrescu

Jun 15, 2020, 7:05:53 PM6/15/20
to Nishant Raut, han...@gmail.com, Reza Rahman, cargotra...@eclipse.org, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
I opened this Issue for the Cargo website. https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/issues/94

Reza Rahman

Jan 2, 2021, 1:13:06 AM1/2/21
to cargotra...@eclipse.org, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions, Theodor Augustin Dumitrescu
I wanted to provide a quick update on Cargo Tracker. We already did our
first stable Java EE 7 release:
https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/releases/tag/v1.0. We are
now on the cusp of a second Java EE 7 release, mainly consisting of some
major remaining cleanup items (you will find the code on the master
branch: https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/tree/master, we
have not cut a tag yet). It would be great if folks tested the master
branch contents and reported any issues. If there are no issues, we will
go ahead and do our final Java EE 7 release. After that we will be
moving to the work for our first Jakarta EE 8 release.

Please join us and I am happy to answer any questions.

Reza Rahman

Please note views expressed here are my own as an individual community
member and do not reflect the views of my employer.

hantsy bai

Jan 10, 2021, 5:39:02 AM1/10/21
to Reza Rahman, cargotra...@eclipse.org, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions, Theodor Augustin Dumitrescu
Hi,
I've started a jarkataee8 branch under my Github account.

Hantsy Bai

Self-employed consultant, fullstack developer, agile coach

GitHub: https://github.com/hantsy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/@hantsy

Medium: https://medium.com/@hantsy

Theodor Augustin Dumitrescu

Jan 10, 2021, 12:30:51 PM1/10/21
to hantsy bai, Reza Rahman, cargotra...@eclipse.org, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Hi,
you might want to check for aligning with the Payara 5 version and the database migration from derby to h2.

thttps://github.com/alexmario74/cargotracker/tree/jakartaee8

Theodor Augustin Dumitrescu

Jan 10, 2021, 7:46:14 PM1/10/21
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, cargotra...@eclipse.org
There is some work in progress for the Java 7 version.

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021, 19:48 Werner Keil, <werne...@gmail.com> wrote:
What keeps you from proposing PRs back to the main branch?

Werner

Reza Rahman

Jan 10, 2021, 9:11:06 PM1/10/21
to cargotra...@eclipse.org, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions

We have now cut a 1.1 tag and initiated an official Eclipse Foundation release. Just in case there are more Java EE 7 releases, we have created a javaee7 branch.

This now primes us to work on the first Jakarta EE 8 release. PRs can be submitted against the master branch. As Theo notes, the first order of business is migrating to Java SE 8, Payara 5 and H2. Feel free to take a stab at that. In addition, anyone is welcome to take a look at the following issues:

* https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/issues/132

* https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/issues/131

* https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/issues/130

* https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/issues/129

* https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/issues/128

* https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/issues/117

* https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/issues/97

* https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/issues/16

* https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/issues/14

Please join us and I am happy to answer any questions.

Reza Rahman

hantsy bai

hantsy bai

hantsy bai

Dmitri Cerkas

Jan 13, 2021, 9:34:19 AM1/13/21
to Reza Rahman, Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hello,

sorry, one question... Will be created "Jakarta EE 9 Tutorial" similar to that of "Java Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE) 8 The Java EE Tutorial" (https://javaee.github.io/tutorial/toc.html) ?

Thank you in advance!

Have a nice day,
Dmitri Cherkas.

- Oracle Certified Master, Java SE6 Developer
- Oracle Certified Professional, Java Enterprise Edition 5 Web Component Developer
- Oracle Certified Professional, Java ME1 Mobile Application Developer
- Sun Certified Java Programmer (SCJP) v. 1.5
- Sun Certified Java Programmer (SCJP) v. 1.6

- Oracle Certified Associate Database 11g Administrator
- Oracle Database 11g: SQL Fundamentals I

- Linux System Administrator Certified, LPIC-1 (Linux Professional Institute)

- Degree in Computer Science,
- Degree in Economics

- CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) (EC-Council)) (in progress)
- Software architect (iSAQB certification (in progress))

reza_rahman

Jan 16, 2021, 7:20:40 PM1/16/21
to hantsy bai, cargotracker developer discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Let's kindly move this lower level discussion to the most appropriate Cargo Tracker developer alias and drop the Jakarta EE Ambassadors and Jakarta EE community aliases.

In general the changes look great. Please submit a PR to the master branch and I will take care of it, including any minor adjustments.

A couple of requests though. Let's kindly embed the H2 database shipped with Payara 5. This will help us avoid the complexity of Docker, Docker Compose and PostgreSQL and keep the getting started experience simple/low tech (just as is the case with similar well-known end-to-end sample projects). We can use PostgreSQL with Docker and Kubernetes when we do a cloud deployment. At that point in time we can parameterize the data source settings into Maven profiles.

Please use the Google Java Style Guide. I have added a simple Contributing section to the main README that includes a simple tool that should make handling formatting consistently super easy.

I look forward to your contributions and appreciate your interest!

Reza Rahman

Reza Rahman

Mar 14, 2021, 1:18:18 PM3/14/21
to cargotra...@eclipse.org, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Hello folks,

I wanted to let you know that we now have the first stable Jakarta EE 8
release for Cargo Tracker:
https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/cargotracker/releases/tag/v2.0. Aside
from moving to Jakarta EE 8, Java SE 8/11 and Payara 5 a lot of work
went into adopting new features. Some of these features include Java SE
streams, lambdas, repeatable annotations, the date-time API, async CDI
events, JSON binding, Server-Sent Events and JPA second-level caching.

It would be great if folks tested the master branch contents and
reported any issues.

We will be moving onto adopting a few remaining more Jakarta EE 8
features such as Security.

Please join us and I am happy to answer any questions. We have been and
continue to welcome your contributions.