Jakarta EE 8 Slide Deck Shared

Reza Rahman

Apr 12, 2020, 7:03:04 PM4/12/20
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Folks,

One of the things I have been trying to do is create a shareable Jakarta
EE 8 slide deck. This weekend, I uploaded an initial version into the
resources folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ohinS4JaDSEjsoFLYeyVOsBii_A-4sRf.
The next step for me is to add detailed speaker notes. Much of that
material will come from here:
https://www.eclipse.org/community/eclipse_newsletter/2018/november/birdseyejavaee8.php.
You can find a suitable abstract here if you need it:
https://speakerdeck.com/reza_rahman/jakarta-ee-present-and-future. I
will also record my rendition of this talk and make it available on
YouTube (either my own or the official Jakarta EE one if they will have
it). The reason I believe this is important is that in my view there has
been a serious gap in Java EE 8/Jakarta EE 8 evangelism as compared to
say Java EE 7 or Java EE 6. Please consider reviewing and adapting this
material. The deck also uses a somewhat makeshift Jakarta EE Ambassadors
presentation template you are welcome to adopt.

As the Jakarta EE 10 work starts spinning up, I plan to refactor this
deck to have a much more forward looking focus including suitable code
examples. This is a topic we should begin to discuss and act upon at
least amongst the Jakarta EE Ambassadors after Jakarta EE 9 is
successfully released. Folks like Steve Millidge believe this is where
the end user community can really contribute to Jakarta EE.

Reza Rahman

Please note views expressed here are my own as an individual community
member and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Nishant Raut

Apr 13, 2020, 6:52:57 AM4/13/20
to Reza Rahman, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Thanks Reza. This is very useful, this will help me to start sessions in India JUG's.

Thanks and Regards,
Nishant

Reza Rahman

May 28, 2020, 1:48:01 AM5/28/20
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
It took me a little while, but I have now added detailed speaker notes:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HZtbxLefX2yKj7k_QH9SuYAjR6ls-mS6/view?usp=sharing.
Please consider reviewing the content. And of course please use it!

Just to give more context, this is why I believe this content is valuable:

I can say first hand Java/Jakarta EE 8 really wasn't evangelized to the
extent that Java EE 6 and Java EE 7 was. As a result, most people really
don't know what is in Java/Jakarta EE 8 (and there really is quite a bit
even if you are a Spring, etc developer). While the content is probably
not that interesting for conferences focused on the latest and greatest,
it is probably pretty valuable content for a JUG or an internal company
talk. Aside from that I did maintain a decent amount of Jakarta EE 9 and
some forward looking/exploratory Jakarta EE 10 content.

The next step for me is to record my rendition of the talk, upload it to
my own YouTube and also see if the official Jakarta EE YouTube channel
will have it.

Reza Rahman

Please note views expressed here are my own as an individual community
member and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Tanja Obradovic

May 28, 2020, 12:59:22 PM5/28/20
to Reza Rahman, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions

Thanks Reza, the deck looks great!

I would also like to remind the community that we have Jakarta EE deck available in the Jakarta EE Community Folder, feel free to use it as well.

--

Tanja Obradovic

Jakarta EE Program Manager | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

Twitter: @TanjaEclipse

Gurkan Erdogdu

May 28, 2020, 5:07:08 PM5/28/20
to Reza Rahman, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Thanks for the great presentation Reza. It is really useful for me :)
Regards.
Gurkan

Reza Rahman

May 28, 2020, 6:16:22 PM5/28/20
to Markus Stauffer, Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Thanks indeed for the kind words and the review.

It's all subjective of course, but in the presentation I am trying to
cover more breadth than depth. In my experience, the CompletableFuture
alignment feature in Jakarta REST is used far more frequently on the
client invocation side than the server endpoint side (most of this kind
of logic is usually in the application tier rather than the REST tier).
It is somewhat consequently better explained on the client side. I think
coverage of both the client and server-side alignment is a better fit
for a talk specific to Jakarta REST than a higher level overview. That
said, I did add a speaker note about CompletableFuture as a REST return
type.

Unfortunately I had to replace the file, changing the URL. Here is the
updated URL:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_kkew6t-bGTZdy08_wz6_BG3SANYNqHV/view?usp=sharing.

More comments and review welcome (although I think I will batch the rest
of the changes instead of doing them piecemeal given the URL situation).

On 5/28/2020 4:47 AM, Markus Stauffer wrote:
> Hi Reza
>
> looks good, great work!
>
> About the slide "CompletableFuture with Jakarta REST": I think adding an
> example with CompletableFuture as return type in a rest endpoint method
> would be helpful.
>
> best regards
> --
> Markus Stauffer

Michael Redlich

May 30, 2020, 7:50:00 AM5/30/20
to Reza Rahman, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Hi Reza:

Thanks for providing the slide deck for us to use.  I will present this at next month's ACGNJ Java Users Group meeting scheduled for June 9.

Best regards,

Mike.

Code, Write, Cycle, Run, Drink, Sleep ... Repeat
InfoQ Java Queue Editor
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

Reza Rahman

Jun 20, 2020, 10:05:02 PM6/20/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
I don't think I ever provided an update on this, but the annotated slide
deck is now done:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_kkew6t-bGTZdy08_wz6_BG3SANYNqHV/view?usp=sharing.
It is uploaded to the Jakarta EE Ambassadors shared drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ohinS4JaDSEjsoFLYeyVOsBii_A-4sRf?usp=sharing.

I few folks have already used the deck at their JUG, please feel free to
do the same.

The next step for me is to provide a recording of my rendition of the
talk, which I hope to do as soon as time permits.

Reza Rahman

Please note views expressed here are my own as an individual community
member and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Nishant Raut

Jul 10, 2020, 1:34:08 AM7/10/20
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Hi All,

Anyone presented this deck, was looking for recording to prepare for the talk.

Thanks and Regards,
Nishant Raut
https://twitter.com/rautnishant

reza_rahman

Jul 10, 2020, 12:52:35 PM7/10/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
As I am focused on drafting the Jakarta EE 10 contribution guide this weekend, I won't have time to make a recording. If you download the PowerPoint, you should be able to view the speaker notes (the speakers notes are not shown by the Google online rendering engine). Could you kindly see if the speaker notes are sufficient for now and let me know? If really need be, I can prioritize recording.

Reza Rahman

Nishant Raut

Jul 10, 2020, 1:41:47 PM7/10/20
to reza_rahman, Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hi Reza,

Yes i see speaker notes should be sufficient to prepare for the talk. Thanks for putting this together.

Thanks and Regards,
Nishant Raut
https://twitter.com/rautnishant

Reza Rahman

Jul 26, 2020, 4:15:00 PM7/26/20
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
I had an opportunity to publish my rendition of the talk to my YouTube
channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mq15_lDUCI. I hope it helps.