[efloraofindia:32434] DV - 14APR10 - 0138 :: ¿ Spondias acuminata ?

Dinesh Valke

Apr 16, 2010, 1:57:41 PM4/16/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Could provide very scant information; the leafless tree in far distance attracted me due to its cream-coloured inflorescence.
The photos too may not provide much clues to ID; yet hoping to get some info.

Date/Time
: April 14, 2010 at 1.38pm IST
Location Place : Palghar Road (Ghat section)

Altitude : 82 m
GPS : 19°42'0.75"N, 72°49'17.99"E

Habitat : wild
Type : mixed deciduous forest

Plant
Habit
: medium sized deciduous tree
Height : 15 - 20 ft
Length : - not a climber -

Leaves
Type
: do not know
Shape : do not know
Size : do not know

Inflorescence
Type
: panicle
Size : can not guess

Flowers
Size
: can not guess
Colour : off-white
Calyx : do not know
Bracts : - no bracts -

Fruits
Type
: do not know
Shape : do not know
Size : do not know
Seeds : do not know

Other Info
Fragrance : do not know
Pollinator : do not know
Uses : do not know

Thoughts exchanged between Satish (Pardeshi) ji and me at Google Buzz put here:

x x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
satish pardeshi - first two pic look like that of Spondias!!!

Dinesh Valke - yes !!! ... many thanks, Satish ji.

satish pardeshi - Palghar is really nice place, i have been there a few times... the estuary, the beaches, the forest on the hills along the highway, the water bodies and the wadis of the local people for growing vegetables and fruit... all is really nice.

Dinesh Valke - Satish ji ... on second thoughts ... slightly not confident about the plant being S. pinnata.
Have got few views of S. pinnata seen at Yeoor Hills and near Revdanda ...
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Spondiaspinnata&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags

The inflorescence in my earlier views, seem to be wiry and relatively longer and much more branched.

Your thoughts please.

satish pardeshi - Yes Dinesh ji
it is different from ur pics at flicr...i am pretty sure this is of Spondias species.

Dinesh Valke - Cooke's Flora of Bombay describes two species: S. mangifera ( syn. of S. pinnata ) and lesser known S. acuminata.

Key described:
Panicle 12 - 15 in. long; stone rough ................................. S. mangifera
Panicle 6 - 8 in. long; stone smooth .................................. S. acuminata

Another difference found in the descriptions:
S. mangifera:
... bark smooth, ash coloured, branches nearly horizontal;
... leaflets 3 - 5 pairs and a terminal one ...

S. acuminata:
... bark smooth, olive-grey; branches spreading in all directions from erecto-patent above to divaricate below
... leaflets 5 - 8 pairs (and a terminal one) ...

BUT the book mentions that existence of S. acuminata in Bombay Presidency is somewhat doubtful, ... Cooke had seen one imperfect specimen from the hills of Kanheri, not differing from S. mangifera !!

Satish ji, do you think this plant to be S. acuminata OR yet some other species of Spondias ?

Many thanks.

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Regards.

P1160390.jpg
P1160366.jpg
P1160387.jpg

Neil Soares

Apr 16, 2010, 2:18:56 PM4/16/10
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Hi Dinesh,
  It looks like Moi [Llanea coromandalica] just getting ready to fruit.
                     Regards,
                       Neil.

Dinesh Valke

Apr 16, 2010, 10:32:59 PM4/16/10
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
But Neil ji, have always felt that the inflorecence of L. coromandelica is wiry bunch of strands ... each of them is unbranched, some of them drooping too.
Have a feeling that this plant is not L. coromandelica.

Regards.
'

Neil Soares

Apr 16, 2010, 11:52:43 PM4/16/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Hi Dinesh,
  My apologies for the slip-up. I meant Kakad [Garuga pinnata]. Sending you some of my of photographs to prove my point.
                     Regards,
                       Neil.
Garuga pinnata,Kakad flowers 1.jpg
Garuga pinnata, Kakad flowers 2.jpg
Garuga pinnata, Kakad fruit 1.jpg
Garuga pinnata,Kakad fruit 2.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Apr 17, 2010, 12:17:04 AM4/17/10
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Neil ji, to me does not look like G. pinnata, because here, the inflorescence stalk is pink, with buds (or flowers) of red tinted white colour, they are smaller at the end of panicles and are clinging close to the stalk ... whereas in G. pinnata the stalk is light green, the much branched pinnacle has its buds and flowers diverging from the stalks.

Regards.

Muthu Karthick

Apr 17, 2010, 2:03:53 AM4/17/10
to Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Dineshji,
More possibilities for Anacardiaceae.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Hemanth

Apr 17, 2010, 4:15:45 AM4/17/10
to efloraofindia
This can go with Spondias pinnata /Spondias mangifera
a close up of flowers shud confirm.

On Apr 17, 11:03 am, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dineshji,
> More possibilities for Anacardiaceae.
>
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Neil ji, to me does not look like *G. pinnata*, because here, the
> > inflorescence stalk is pink, with buds (or flowers) of red tinted white
> > colour, they are smaller at the end of panicles and are clinging close to
> > the stalk ... whereas in *G. pinnata* the stalk is light green, the much
> > branched pinnacle has its buds and flowers diverging from the stalks.
>
> > Regards.
>
> > On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> >>  Hi Dinesh,
> >>   My apologies for the slip-up. I meant Kakad [Garuga pinnata]. Sending
> >> you some of my of photographs to prove my point.
> >>                      Regards,
> >>                        Neil.

Satish Phadke

Apr 17, 2010, 5:55:25 AM4/17/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh
I recently had a chance to see the inflorescence of known planted tree Spondias pinnata at Smruti Udyan Pune. This tree is just 4 feet tall and was flowering and no leaves were present as in your picture.
Just attaching the picture to share with you all.(I hope the ID is correct)
I think I was a bit late to capture it as you can see the flowers drying ...almost dieing and a small fruit is also visible.
Dr Satish Phadke
Spondias pinnata .jpg

Dinesh Valke

Apr 17, 2010, 6:25:04 AM4/17/10
to Satish Phadke, efloraofindia
Hemanth, Satish (Phadke) ji,

As said earlier, not confident about the plant being S. pinnata.
You may take a look at few views of S. pinnata seen at Yeoor Hills and near Revdanda ...

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Spondiaspinnata&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags

The inflorescence in my earlier views, seem to be wiry and relatively longer and much more branched.

The plant in this post has buds (and flowers) relatively in tighter succession, and the stalk has not much branching.

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

May 9, 2010, 2:59:38 AM5/9/10
to efloraofindia, Neil Soares, Nayan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

May 10, 2010, 12:08:44 PM5/10/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Neil Soares, Nayan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick
No responses (?)
Spondias genus seems to be rather uncommon.
Rashida ji Prashant ji Pravin ji and those who have seen a lot of Western ghat flora what are your opinions?and of course Neil ji if he has not yet left fot the trip of Northeast.

Neil Soares

May 10, 2010, 2:03:51 PM5/10/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Nayan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick
Hi Dr. Phadke,
  Have seen a few trees of Spondias acuminata in the Borivali N.P. and also on the Leopard trail at C.E.C., Goregaon. At Shahapur have seen only one specimen in the wild, so would agree that it is relatively uncommon.
                        Regards,
                          Neil.

Rashida Atthar

May 11, 2010, 10:34:54 AM5/11/10
to Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Neil Soares, Nayan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick
Dinesh ji, Satish ji,

 I would guess this to be Sterculia villosa from the slightly greenish, white, shiny bark. I have not seen S. acuminata so can't be sure.

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

May 11, 2010, 12:21:19 PM5/11/10
to Rashida Atthar, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Neil Soares, Nayan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick
Rashida ji
Sterculia is confusing me Rashida ji. Did you mean to type Spondias?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rashida Atthar

May 12, 2010, 1:08:10 AM5/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Neil Soares, Nayan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick
Sir I meant Sterculia villosa, the bark appears to be matching.

regards,
Rasihda.

Gurcharan Singh

May 12, 2010, 1:32:55 AM5/12/10
to Rashida Atthar, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Neil Soares, Nayan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick
Rashida ji
Sterculia appears unlikely, because in few flowers where fruits have started forming, we can see a single ovary where as in Sterculia there should be up to 5 separate ovaries. Also the flowers would be larger in Sterculia.
    The confusion earlier arose because Sterculia villosa was followed by S. acuminata, which to normal reader would imply Sterculia acuminata only. However, we were discussing Spondias acuminata so I wanted clarification because Sterculia acuminata would be much different plant Cola acuminata.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neil Soares

May 12, 2010, 3:32:35 AM5/12/10
to Rashida Atthar, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Nayan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick
Hi,
 A reply from my friend Amogh Ghaisas, who runs a nursery for forest trees at Rajmachi, Lonavala.
                               Regards,
                                 Neil Soares.

It is Garuga pinnata according to me.

Regards,

Amogh Ghaisas

                              Regards,
                                Neil Soares

Rashida Atthar

May 12, 2010, 4:08:26 AM5/12/10
to Neil Soares, Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, efloraofindia, Nayan Singh, Vijayasankar Raman, Muthu Karthick
 Perhaps your friend is correct. G. pinnata seems quite likely,  only doubt is the partially dried inflorescence should be appearing more yellowish rather than creamish, white.  Attaching separately pics of G. pinnate taken at CEC in Feb. '10. for comparison.

regards,
Rashida.

Pardeshi S.

May 12, 2010, 7:38:22 AM5/12/10
to efloraofindia
Hello all
To me it is Spondia pinnata. Garuga pinnata have infloresecence more
or less globular. in this case it is pyramidal.
spondias is quiet common in Palghar area.

Regards
Satish Pardeshi

On May 12, 1:08 pm, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Perhaps your friend is correct. G. pinnata seems quite likely,  only doubt
> is the partially dried inflorescence should be appearing more yellowish
> rather than creamish, white.  Attaching separately pics of G. pinnate taken
> at CEC in Feb. '10. for comparison.
>
> regards,
> Rashida.
>

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  A reply from my friend Amogh Ghaisas, who runs a nursery for forest trees
> > at Rajmachi, Lonavala.
> >                                Regards,
> >                                  Neil Soares.
>
> > It is Garuga pinnata according to me.
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Amogh Ghaisas
>
> >                               Regards,
> >                                 Neil Soares

Dinesh Valke

May 12, 2010, 9:07:27 AM5/12/10
to Pardeshi S., Neil Soares, Muthu Karthick, Hemant Tripathi, Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, atthar....@gmail.com, efloraofindia
Dear friends, many many many thanks to all of you: Neil ji, Muthu ji, Hemanth ji, Satish Phadke ji, Gurcharan ji, Rashida ji, Amogh ji, Satish Pardeshi ji.

The difficulty with making ID is obviously because of distant (and blurred) photo.
Hopefully one of coming weekends, will visit this spot to check its phase ... again would be a distant shot ... perhaps it will help us in asserting on OR ruling out some genus.

Until then, Spondias (pinnata) seems to be the most likely candidate.

Thoughts are yet welcome.

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

May 30, 2010, 12:17:04 AM5/30/10
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, Rashida Atthar, TANAY BOSE
Resurfacing again for ID

Several diverse IDs have been suggested such as Spondias pinnata, Garuga pinnata, Sterculia villosa. Most likely candidate Spondias pinnata.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
Mar 31, 2021, 8:30:18 AM3/31/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 31, 2021, 8:31:40 AM3/31/21
to indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke
Mar 31, 2021, 10:26:44 AM3/31/21
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Many thanks Gurcharan ji for resurfacing this query.
I am believing the posted plant must be Garuga pinnata.
Many thanks to all for their thoughts; many thanks to Neil ji.
Here are the URLs to reach flickr pages for downloading original size pictures, in case it helps in validating the species ID.

Regards.
Dinesh

radha veach

Mar 31, 2021, 12:51:21 PM3/31/21
to efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh,
I believe these images are of Spondias pinnata. The shape of the inflorescence is more pyramidal, whereas in Garuga it is more rounded. Doesn't the shape have more affinity with Anacardiaceae to you? (Think of mango flowers!)
The other small clue is the season. Mostly in these parts Garuga flowers about a month earlier than Spondias and these images are from April.

regards
Radha

J.M. Garg

Apr 4, 2021, 3:24:26 AM4/4/21
to DineshValke, efloraofindia, radha veach
Thanks, Radha ji

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/b0b4bc00-f26c-4052-8750-d29ef224dc71n%40googlegroups.com.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

Apr 4, 2021, 7:48:38 AM4/4/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, radha veach
Many many thanks dear Radha, for arresting my mistake. I will correct my notes.
Thank you very very much, Garg ji and Gurcharan ji, for resurfacing and following up this long pending query.
Regards.
Dinesh