MS, April,2014/04 Colocasia sp. for id

M Sawmliana

Apr 27, 2021, 11:13:35 AM4/27/21
to indiantreepix
Location : Lengpui, Mizoram
Date : 04-01-2014
Habit : Herb
Habitat : Wild

With regards,
M.Sawmliana
Colocasia sp.(Zawngbaibing-hnah-rang).jpg

J.M. Garg

May 3, 2021, 2:25:13 AM5/3/21
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
I am confused between Colocasia affinis and Colocasia fallax

With regards,
J.M.Garg
Colocasia sp.(Zawngbaibing-hnah-rang).jpg

J.M. Garg

May 3, 2021, 5:48:33 AM5/3/21
to Peter J MATTHEWS, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Thanks a lot, Peter ji.

On Mon, 3 May 2021 at 15:06, Peter J MATTHEWS <p...@minpaku.ac.jp> wrote:
Dear Sawmliana ji,

It is confusing!

I believe what you have in ths photo is the variegated form of C. fallax, with the blush, leaf shape, and distinct sinus that is seen with plainer form.

The attached photo is C. affinis var. jenningsii photographed by me in Luzon, Philippines, where it grows as a naturalizing ornamental. The blade has a much more shallow sinus than your plant, similar to (a) the example of var. jenningsii that I obtained from the Sydney Botanic Gardens in the 1980s, and photographed in the attached version of my PhD work (see pdf page no. 128), and also to the plant described by Sasikala and Kumali (2014) (attached).

I am not convinced that var. jenningsii is actually the same species as non-variegated C. affinis described by Deva and Naithani (1985)... but I am fairly confident that the variegated form of C. fallax is a natural variant in wild populations of C. fallax.

The best description of C. affinis (var. jenningsii) is in Sasikala and Kumali (2014), who describe a population in Kerala, far from where C. affinis is expected (based on other reports of C. affinis). This makes me wonder if (a) they have found a natural population of var. jenningsii, and (b) this is a South Indian species different from C. affinis (non- variegated) found in Himalaya, and different from the variegated forms of C. fallax.

Peter

From: M Sawmliana <msawm...@gmail.com<mailto:msawm...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 at 20:43
To: indiantreepix <indian...@googlegroups.com<mailto:indian...@googlegroups.com>>