Fwd: Plant id

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 12, 2010, 9:56:58 PM6/12/10
to efloraofindia, TANAY BOSE, Vijayasankar Raman, Rashida Atthar
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation
Earlier feedback

Tanay.......................As far as my knowledge this is some species of Hopea !! H be H pubescens but not sure, kindly validate

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Jun 12, 2010, 10:27:49 PM6/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, TANAY BOSE, Rashida Atthar
Looks like Ventilago species.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

tanay bose

Jun 12, 2010, 11:17:01 PM6/12/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Rashida Atthar

Dear Vijaya Ji,
Are you indicating towards
Ventilago leiocarpa ??
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 12, 2010, 11:34:31 PM6/12/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Rashida Atthar
Dear Tanay,

The key in FoC leads to Ventilago maderaspatana (Panicles terminal, fruits glabrous, lateral nerves ca 4 pairs etc.). But we need more details and better pictures to confirm the id.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

tanay bose

Jun 12, 2010, 11:36:35 PM6/12/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Rashida Atthar
The close up can really help us out !1
Tanay

JM Garg

Jun 24, 2020, 1:37:22 PM6/24/20
to efloraofindia, santhosh kumar es, radha veach, DineshValke
Can it be Ventilago denticulata Willd. as per comparative images at Ventilago‎ ?
DSC01573.JPG

radha veach

Jun 24, 2020, 10:02:03 PM6/24/20
to efloraofindia
Yes, it is, Garg ji

Regards
Radha

J.M. Garg

Jun 25, 2020, 12:01:31 AM6/25/20
to efloraofindia, radha veach, santhosh kumar es, DineshValke
Thanks, Radha ji.
I get confused time and again.
What are the keys given for Maharashtra?

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,50,000 images are directly displayed on 31.1.20).

J.M. Garg

Jun 25, 2020, 12:16:13 AM6/25/20
to efloraofindia, radha veach, santhosh kumar es, DineshValke
Hi, Radha ji,
Are our posts correctly identified at Ventilago denticulata and Ventilago madraspatana ?

J.M. Garg

Jun 25, 2020, 2:10:15 AM6/25/20
to Dr E S Santhosh Kumar, efloraofindia, radha veach
Thanks, Santhosh ji,
Looks different from Hopea as per comparative images herein.
Also looks different from comparative images at Dipterocarpaceae
Looks close to images at Ventilago denticulata

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 at 11:20, Dr E S Santhosh Kumar <santhos...@gmail.com> wrote:
It might be a Dipterocarpaceae member, hopefully Hopea sp.

SANTHOSH
Dr. E S SANTHOSH KUMAR MSc, PhD, FIAT, FABSc, FLS
Jawaharlal Nehru Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute (JNTBG&RI),
Palode, Karimancode P.O.
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala, India
Alternate Email id: jntbgri...@gmail.com

 Every day’s life is a Gift.  Let us use it productively

J.M. Garg

Jun 25, 2020, 4:23:59 AM6/25/20
to radha veach, efloraofindia, santhosh kumar es, DineshValke, Neil Soares
Thanks, Radha ji.

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 at 13:29, radha veach <radha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Gargji,

I am taking V. denticulata Willd. to be a syn of V. calyculata Tulasne. and V. maderaspatana Gaertn (or madraspatana) to be a distinct species. There has been confusion in the names with different authors.
In my area both of these as well as V. bombaiensis are found and it is easy to differentiate them in the field, especially when in fruit.
All the images at V. maderaspatana seem to be correct.
I have a doubt about the first set of pictures under V. denticulata. They seem to be V. maderaspatana, as long as they are all of the same plant. The new leaves are clearly seen in the 4th picture, bottom line on the left. In fact if you click on the image it is correctly labeled.

As for keys, I don't know which to follow.
V. bombaiensis is easy because flowers and fruit are in axillary fascicles. The leaves have glands in the axils of nerves on the underside. It is restricted to evergreen forests.
V. denticulata has larger leaves with prominent veins. Stems usually striate and green. Large stems striate with red and black. It is found in deciduous forests and less in evergreen. It is a large liana.
V. maderaspatana stems dry blackish, leaves are smaller and often more acute at the apex. It is found more in evergreen forests and rarely in deciduous patches. It also can be a very large plant covering many trees.
Hope this can be of some use.

regards
Radha

J.M. Garg

Jun 25, 2020, 5:05:57 AM6/25/20
to radha veach, efloraofindia, santhosh kumar es, DineshValke, Neil Soares
Thanks, Radha ji.
I feel much more confident now.