Today's translation head-scratcher

Warren Smith

Nov 5, 2022, 8:46:05 PM11/5/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

I am translating a patent for a 放送受信プログラム (broadcast receiving program) that displays a list of names of 番組 (programs) that can be 再生 (played/viewed/listened to, etc.).

Using the word "program" for both concepts is very confusing, but I am finding it difficult to find a word other than "program" for one concept or the other. I hate to go with "computer program" for プログラム, given that the program might run on a microcontroller or the like , or be divided between multiple devices, which might be defined as other than a "computer." Conversely, I really can't go with "TV program" for 番組, because the 番組 might be audio-only (what we used to call a "radio program:).

Have any of my esteemed colleges run into this conundrum and found a good solution?

cpta...@ozemail.com.au

Nov 5, 2022, 9:02:08 PM11/5/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

ソフト?ロジック?計算機が受け入れ得る形式になっている一連の命令?(hence ケイケイレイ?)

Chris

Warren Smith

Nov 5, 2022, 9:02:59 PM11/5/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Dave McMahon on the Honyaku-type Facebook forum suggested "content."

Great answer, I think.

Warren Smith

Nov 5, 2022, 9:08:12 PM11/5/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Hah! The word "ソフト" is often a problem for me, as it doesn't map well onto English. I like your idea of "a series of instructions," and might have used it if "content" weren't such a good solution.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Warren

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/001001d8f17b%24604a67b0%2420df3710%24%40ozemail.com.au.

Robert Kawaratani

Nov 5, 2022, 9:48:58 PM11/5/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Application?

Herman

Nov 5, 2022, 11:23:32 PM11/5/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
If there is a need to distinguish the two senses, use program for プログラム
and programme for 番組.

Herman Kahn

John Stroman

Nov 6, 2022, 6:00:44 AM11/6/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren,
Perhaps "content" will work depending on your context, but if the device displays the names, then perhaps something like names of "broadcasted/podcasted programs," will be clearer.

Recently I've found that sentences in many patent applications written during the pandemic lack information (not only the usual items such as a grammatical subject) that must be added for the English translation to make sense.  I don't know if this is an issue caused by the authors working remotely, lack of in-house review before submission, or something else. I feel like I'm translating stuff written in the mid-1990s again.

John Stroman