In-Person HamSCI Workshop Cancelled Due to Coronavirus Concerns

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Mar 11, 2020, 8:38:03 AM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TAPR TangerineSDR Modular Software Defined Radio

Dear HamSCI Community,

I have some difficult news to share with you. As of March 11, 2020, we have continued to monitor the coronavirus situation and find that it is no longer feasible to hold an in-person HamSCI workshop this year. This has been a very difficult decision to make, as a tremendous amount of planning and effort by many people have gone into preparing for the workshop. We will refund all registrations for this event. Please take this time to cancel any travel arrangements you may have made to attend the workshop. If the University of Scranton has made arrangements for you, we will cancel them for you and be in touch with you regarding the situation.

The Science/Program Committee is discussing over the next few days the best alternative plans for the HamSCI workshop. This may mean a form all-electronic meeting using teleconference/webinar services. I will send out another e-mail over the next few days with updates on this. I will also be keeping hamsci.org/hamsci2020 up-to-date.

Thank you for all of your support! We will figure out the best way to keep everything going!

73 de Nathaniel W2NAF and the Organizing Committee

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell, Ph.D., W2NAF

HamSCI Lead
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering
University of Scranton
(973) 787-4506

Ward Silver

Mar 11, 2020, 8:55:17 AM3/11/20
to hamsci, TAPR TangerineSDR Modular Software Defined Radio
A necessary decision - unfortunate but a hard call, made decisively and in time for an alternative to take shape.  I enthusiastically support the web-based proposal, realizing that the resources might not be available to make it happen.

73, Ward N0AX

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.

Bob Gerzoff

Mar 11, 2020, 8:58:42 AM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TAPR TangerineSDR Modular Software Defined Radio

Necessary and right.

“Man plans.  God laughs.”

73,

Bob, WK2Y

Angel M. Vazquez

Mar 11, 2020, 9:07:13 AM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TAPR TangerineSDR Modular Software Defined Radio

Nathaniel,

Total agreement with Wards comments. Unfortunate but responsibly necessary.

73,

Angel WP3R

Angel M. Vazquez

Head of Telescope Operations & Spectrum Manager

Arecibo Observatory  –  www.naic.edu

National Astronomy and Ionosphere Center

(787)878-2612 ext.304

Mar 11, 2020, 9:24:39 AM3/11/20
to Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D., ham...@googlegroups.com, Lester Veenstra via TangerineSDR
Sorry to hear that, Nathaniel, but it's a completely understandable decision, made in a timely way.

73,
John

Gregory Popelas

Mar 11, 2020, 9:37:38 AM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TAPR TangerineSDR Modular Software Defined Radio
Totally understandable Nathaniel due to the circumstances ...
It will only add to the anticipation of future HamSCI
Workshops.

73’s
Gregory Popelas  VA3CBN

Sent from my iPhone

Michael Weilbacher

Mar 11, 2020, 10:36:16 AM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TAPR TangerineSDR Modular Software Defined Radio
Nathaniel - Cancelling the conference was the right decision in my opinion.  I believe it is very important for us to limit the possibility of our  exposure to the virus as much as possible. That is because I feel our ability to provide emergency communications and other technical & scientific, facts based information as the virus continues to spread across the US and other countries will be vitally important.

73 - Mike - KB0FX

Angel M. Vazquez

A necessary decision - unfortunate but a hard call, made decisively and in time for an alternative to take shape.  I enthusiastically support the web-based proposal, realizing that the resources might not be available to make it happen.

73, Ward N0AX

Joseph Johnston

Mar 11, 2020, 4:13:50 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
 It's too bad that we could not do it this year, but we definitely do
not want to get sick.
I hope we can do it in the future.
                                Joseph
                                KD2SYN

Breakall, James Kenneth

Mar 11, 2020, 4:30:16 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TAPR TangerineSDR Modular Software Defined Radio, Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D., Breakall, James Kenneth

Hello Nathaniel,

This is of course disappointing that we cannot hold HamSCI as originally scheduled, but you are doing the right thing for sure to help protect everybody.  We all understand and know you and others have put a lot of time and effort into this, and this is really appreciated.  I am sure this will help to make it even better for next year.

By the way, Penn State just announced today that it is telling students not to come to class next Monday on, and everything will be online now.  They told all the students to stay home and not come back since we are on Spring Break this week.

I heard that many universities are taking the same actions all around the country.

We all know that HamSCI will even be better next year.

73  Jim  WA3FET

James K. Breakall

Professor, Electrical Engineering

225 Electrical Engineering East

Penn State University

University Park, PA 16802

Cell Phone: 814-883-6521

Email: ji...@psu.edu

Lester Veenstra

Mar 11, 2020, 4:40:40 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TAPR TangerineSDR Modular Software Defined Radio, Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

So, now waiting for the Xenia shoe to drop.

Lester B Veenstra  K1YCM  MØYCM  W8YCM   6Y6Y

les...@veenstras.com

452 Stable Ln (HC84 RFD USPS Mail)

Keyser WV 26726

GPS: 39.336826 N  78.982287 W (Google)

GPS: 39.33682 N  78.9823741 W (GPSDO)

Telephones:

Home:                     +1-304-289-6057

US cell                    +1-304-790-9192

Jamaica cell:           +1-876-456-8898

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Mar 11, 2020, 4:42:22 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv
Hi all,

Another update…

This decision is now completely out of my hands, as the University of Scranton is extending Spring Break an extra week to March 30th, and going to remote-only instruction from then until April 14th. This is in line with the response of other universities across the nation.

We are planning on holding all oral talks via Zoom as per the agenda already posted. We are working on a plan for converting the poster/demo session to an electronic format. Laura Brandt, the Aurorasaurus project manager, has some really good ideas on that and is working on typing up the instructions. More details on this over the next day or so.

73 de Nathaniel
—

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell, Ph.D., W2NAF
HamSCI Lead
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering
University of Scranton
(973) 787-4506

McGwier, Bob

Mar 11, 2020, 4:43:35 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv

With 150 – 200 MILLION projected cases of covid-19 infection, this makes sense.

Dr. Robert W. McGwier
rwm...@vt.edu
Chief Scientist, Hume Center for National Security and Technology

1991 Kraft Drive (0713), Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061
Office: (540) 231-2041 Cell: (609)-731-5289 (Leave a voicemail)
Affiliated: Wireless@VT, Space@VT, Senior Member IEEE, ARRL, AMSAT, TAPR
Amateur Radio Station: N4HY
Faculty Advisor VT Amateur Radio Association
Engineer, Mathematician (Auburn University, Ph.D Brown University)

McGwier, Bob

Mar 11, 2020, 4:44:11 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv

Art Mandelin

Mar 11, 2020, 4:45:03 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv
I came late to the party, just joined the group a few days ago, so I don't have the details about the original intended attendance protocol for the conference.
Is there a registration fee to be able to attend via Zoom?

73 DE N9THH

John Ackermann N8UR

Mar 11, 2020, 4:46:39 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathaniel --

Just a request, please. Some of us non-academics are not familiar with
all the conferencing tools, so when possible could you post links to
configuration and use info?

Thanks!

73,
John
----

On 3/11/20 4:42 PM, Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Another update…
>
> This decision is now completely out of my hands, as the University of
> Scranton is extending Spring Break an extra week to March 30th, and
> going to remote-only instruction from then until April 14th. This is in
> line with the response of other universities across the nation.
>
> We are planning on holding all oral talks via Zoom as per the agenda
> already posted. We are working on a plan for converting the poster/demo
> session to an electronic format. Laura Brandt, the Aurorasaurus project
> manager, has some really good ideas on that and is working on typing up
> the instructions. More details on this over the next day or so.
>
> 73 de Nathaniel
> —
> Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell, Ph.D., W2NAF
> HamSCI Lead
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering
> University of Scranton
> (973) 787-4506
>
>> On Mar 11, 2020, at 4:30 PM, Breakall, James Kenneth <jk...@psu.edu
>> <mailto:jk...@psu.edu>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Nathaniel,
>>
>> This is of course disappointing that we cannot hold HamSCI as
>> originally scheduled, but you are doing the right thing for sure to
>> help protect everybody.  We all understand and know you and others
>> have put a lot of time and effort into this, and this is really
>> appreciated.  I am sure this will help to make it even better for next
>> year.
>>
>> By the way, Penn State just announced today that it is telling
>> students not to come to class next Monday on, and everything will be
>> online now.  They told all the students to stay home and not come back
>> since we are on Spring Break this week.
>>
>> I heard that many universities are taking the same actions all around
>> the country.
>>
>> We all know that HamSCI will even be better next year.
>>
>> 73  Jim  WA3FET
>>
>> James K. Breakall
>> Professor, Electrical Engineering
>>
>> 225 Electrical Engineering East
>> Penn State University
>> University Park, PA 16802
>>
>> Cell Phone: 814-883-6521
>> Email: ji...@psu.edu <mailto:ji...@psu.edu>

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Mar 11, 2020, 4:55:47 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Sure, John.

I just created a test meeting that everyone can log into. See the invitation below. This should be good for the rest of the evening.

We may be using the webinar feature instead of the regular zoom meeting, but they are still working that out with Zoom. I should know more tomorrow. For reference, the zoom meetings I can currently set up have a 300 person capacity. The webinars can have 3000 viewers with 100 panelists.

73 de Nathaniel

———
Nathaniel Frissell is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: HamSCI Test Meeting
Time: Mar 11, 2020 05:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 794 099 679

One tap mobile
+19294362866,,794099679# US (New York)
+16699006833,,794099679# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
        +1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 794 099 679
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/atEc8ZDe2

—
Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell, Ph.D., W2NAF
HamSCI Lead
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering
University of Scranton
(973) 787-4506
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to hamsci+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/1bf02364-b014-a2b9-1375-a7ff952276d4%40febo.com.

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Mar 11, 2020, 4:59:03 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv
Hi Art,

No fee. There is some capacity limit on the zoom connection (see my other e-mail), but we are working on a solution that will allow a larger participation.

73 de Nathaniel
—
Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell, Ph.D., W2NAF
HamSCI Lead
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering
University of Scranton
(973) 787-4506

Bob Gerzoff

Mar 11, 2020, 5:15:27 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TAPR TangerineSDR Modular Software Defined Radio, Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

UVA is now all online until further notice.

John Ackermann N8UR

Mar 11, 2020, 5:15:32 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! If you can keep the trial meeting open indefinitely, or maybe
do one per evening until the conference, that might be more convenient
for everyone. But don't complicate things on my behalf.

73,
John
----

Michael Weilbacher

Mar 11, 2020, 5:22:01 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
It works!

Mike - KB0FX

John Ackermann N8UR

Mar 11, 2020, 5:39:24 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
I was able to download and install the Linux client software and it went OK.

On 3/11/20 5:21 PM, Michael Weilbacher wrote:
> It works!
>
> Mike - KB0FX
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 3:55 PM Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.
> <nathaniel...@scranton.edu

Phil Erickson

Mar 11, 2020, 5:43:45 PM3/11/20
to Unknown
Hi John,

  One of the reasons for Zoom popularity is that it has a Linux client that works.  Webex has no Linux client at all and no plans to implement one.

73
Phil

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/4c16ba2f-5bc0-b6a6-b800-5614f515b200%40febo.com.

--
----
Phil Erickson

Thomas Clark

Mar 11, 2020, 6:27:05 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com, John Ackermann N8UR
Zoom seems to work OK for me -- count me in

Tom K3IO

Terry Bullett

Mar 11, 2020, 7:14:21 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
CU and soon CSU are implementing similar remote teaching  policies, extended spring breaks, and forbidding all official travel.  Colorado's governor declared a state of emergency and more may happen after the President's address tonight.
At NOAA, we are doing a practice telework day on Thursday.
In Colorado, the number of infections are doubling every day.  Partly due to increased testing.

Terry

Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate

Mar 11, 2020, 8:35:24 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
I fully expect that, as we see testing come up to speed, initially we will see a 5x jump in known cases. Simply put, we are in the midst of the community-spread phase and things are beyond the point of controlling influx from abroad.

Start thinking about:
limiting gathering sizes
Social distancing from everyone, not just those with obvious symptoms
Strict hand washing protocol/hygiene
Telework
Seeking medical attention at the first sign of a respiratory illness regardless of severity initially
Scrub surfaces with soap & water and sanitize with alcohol, bleach or Lysol
DON’T go to work if you’re sick

Terry, NOAA here hasn’t formally planned a test telework day but I personally have. I will be seriously limited in what I can accomplish, and there will be days I go in, but most of my HPC users are afraid to come too far into my office anyway. Oklahoma just started wider-spread testing. Before today, a doc had to present the case to an epidemiologist for approval to test, and that means we have a lot more undiagnosed cases than the 2 confirmed and 5 under investigation that we suspect.

We desperately need to be testing a lot more people to characterize the spread.

Gerry
N5JXS

--
Gerry Creager
NSSL/CIMMS

Bob Gerzoff

Mar 11, 2020, 8:47:49 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com

CDC is conducting 4 test telework days to see how their networking holds up.

Terry Bullett

Mar 11, 2020, 8:54:32 PM3/11/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Gerry,

Exactly.  We know the numerator, but the denominator is unknown, biased by limited and risk-slected testing.  With an artificial heart valve, I'm on the vulnerable list.  Both influx from abroad and local spread need to be addressed.

The telework test may just be limited to our NGDC group, but a test is a good idea and recommended by the chain of command.  Given that getting into our computers remotely reminds me of the into to the "Get Smart" TV show with dozens of security hoops to jump through, remote productivity is severely diminished.  But it is something and the real time ionosonde data will continue to flow to all our users.

Since I could not attend the HamSci workshop in person, I can attend via remote.  A slight sliver lining to this dark cloud.

Terry
W0ASP

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Mar 12, 2020, 8:14:57 AM3/12/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

It’s not possible for me to create an indefinite session from my account. BUT… Zoom lets you sign for a free account so you can try setting these things up yourself. The free level allows you to do meetings up to 100 people up to 40 minutes at a time.

Try it out!

73 de Nathaniel W2NAF

—
Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell, Ph.D., W2NAF
HamSCI Lead
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering
University of Scranton
(973) 787-4506
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to hamsci+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hamsci/3f218846-2be9-dd80-873f-dbdd1c17f0fb%40febo.com.

John Ackermann

Mar 12, 2020, 8:59:14 AM3/12/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathaniel -- OK, I got things working last night (easier than expected!).  So that 's not a problem.  I will need to figure out how to "project" slides, though.

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Mar 12, 2020, 9:23:36 AM3/12/20
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Great! I find Zoom works very well. I like it better than WebEx, which I used to use more often.

I recommend:
  • Create your own account on Zoom
  • Try creating your own meeting
  • Use the “Share” function to share either a whole desktop or just the application you want and practice presenting.
  • Feel free to e-mail an invite to this group if you want to test things out with someone else.

73 de Nathaniel

—