New AJ4CO web site and archive

Dave Typinski

Sep 2, 2021, 1:49:09 PM9/2/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

For those interested in HF band radio astronomy, the AJ4CO web site has been
updated.

Newly available is an archive containing raw data and processed data and
spectrograms and logs and documents and scripts and and and... well, just a
whole boatload of material mostly related to HF-band radio astronomy.

http://www.aj4co.org/

Enjoy!
--
Dave

Khan Tran

Sep 2, 2021, 3:18:25 PM9/2/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

That’s pretty impressive. Thanks!!

73, Khan KE8QWB

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.

n5pa

Sep 2, 2021, 3:52:26 PM9/2/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Dave:

That is a very nice Radio Astronomy setup you have there.  I am into regular Astronomy and spend a lot of time looking at the Sun.  I had a good friend, Bob Patterson (SK), K5DZE, that was big into Radio Astronomy.  I used to help him with his antennas back in the 80’s and early 90’s.  Living in North Central Florida, I do not imagine you have very dark skies there.  It is fairly bright here in SE Mississippi, but at our farm in SW Mississippi there is not a neighbor for several miles and no street lights for over 8 miles away.  So we have good dark skies there for observing.  Plus, here at the house there is a baseball complex about a half mile over the hill behind our house.  But besides observing the Sun, I enjoy observing and cataloging the Messier Objects.  I would not mind dropping by and seeing your setup in person next time I am down at HamCation.

73,
Alan Clark, N5PA
Ellisville, MS
Email:  n5...@n5pa.com

On Sep 2, 2021, at 12:49 PM, Dave Typinski <dav...@typnet.net> wrote:

Hi all,

Dave Typinski

Sep 2, 2021, 8:20:45 PM9/2/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

You're welcome to drop by any time.  Only caveat is to contact well ahead of time to ensure I'm not away on some trip or another.

You nailed it: the whole reason I went to radio astronomy is precisely because of the poor optical conditions here.  Between the light pollution, humidity, and clouds, I'd say we get maybe ten to twenty good optical days per year.  In contrast, Jovian radio emission can be observed just fine during heavy rain, day or night.  Better at night, though, when the ionospheric F layer isn't attenuating Jupiter and reflecting QRM and QRN back down to the telescope's antenna array.

It's not without its problems: RFI is an ever-present threat and has ruined many observations.  Made this up in frustration a few years ago.
--
Dave

n5pa

Sep 2, 2021, 9:07:59 PM9/2/21
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Dave:

You left out the Light Saber!  Light pollution has become an ever increasing issue.  RFI has gotten much worse, also.  Over at our farm I had a huge issue and you would think being very rural that I would have a S1 noise floor.  I traced it to several power poles up the road from the house.  I called the EPA and their Noise Engineer called me and I told him about my the methods I went through to trace the source.  The next morning he showed up with a couple of bucket trucks and about 10 linemen and they found that there was missing equipment on the poles that was causing the problem.  My noise went down to about S3.  This past February we had an ice storm and most of the power poles came down.  So after a couple of weeks they got the power back on and with all the new equipment, the noise floor dropped to almost S0.  It has been a pleasure to operate since then.

I have a Yaesu FTM-400XDR in my truck, mainly for the GPS and APRS.  But after installing it in my truck I experienced a lot of interference.  I ended up turning the squelch up to almost half scale to keep it from staying keyed up most of the time.  It reminded of back in the 70’s when you would drive past hospitals and their paging systems caused horrible intermod problems.  But with all of the wireless equipment and IoT devices out there, it has gotten ever worse.  I cannot imagine what kind of issues it causes with you Radio Telescope.

If I decide to head that way one day, I will give you a head’s up a long time in advance!

73,
Alan Clark, N5PA
Ellisville, MS
Email:  n5...@n5pa.com

On Sep 2, 2021, at 7:20 PM, Dave Typinski <dav...@typnet.net> wrote:

Hi Alan,

You're welcome to drop by any time.  Only caveat is to contact well ahead of time to ensure I'm not away on some trip or another.

You nailed it: the whole reason I went to radio astronomy is precisely because of the poor optical conditions here.  Between the light pollution, humidity, and clouds, I'd say we get maybe ten to twenty good optical days per year.  In contrast, Jovian radio emission can be observed just fine during heavy rain, day or night.  Better at night, though, when the ionospheric F layer isn't attenuating Jupiter and reflecting QRM and QRN back down to the telescope's antenna array.

It's not without its problems: RFI is an ever-present threat and has ruined many observations.  Made this up in frustration a few years ago.
--
Dave

<aeagagfa.jpg>