How to link Vehicles to Trips for RT-GTFS?

Yash Ganthe

Sep 3, 2021, 8:18:19 AM9/3/21
to transit-d...@googlegroups.com, gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If we have a GTFS feed and want to set up an RT-GTFS, we would need to maintain a mapping between a GPS-fitted vehicle and the corresponding Trips it is scheduled to make. The location updates come from a vehicle. The Vehicle ID and the latest location is thus known. However, this needs to be linked to a Trip so that RT-GTFS shows the status of the Trip. What tools are generally used to make this mapping?

-Yash

Stefan de Konink

Sep 3, 2021, 8:22:10 AM9/3/21
to gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yash,

The tools are commonly known as CAD-AVL tools.

Computer-Aided Dispatch / Automatic Vehicle Location

If you do a search for that you can find several open source
implementations.

--
Stefan

Vasile Catana

Sep 6, 2021, 4:40:26 AM9/6/21
to gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I am facing the same issue. I am trying to assign the "vehicle" to trip_id from the gtfs static. I tried to find it on open source but it seems nothing comes to what I need.

Can you recommend one open source tool ?

Thanks and I really appreciate it.

Stefan de Konink

Sep 6, 2021, 5:01:03 AM9/6/21
to gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, September 6, 2021 10:40:13 AM CEST, Vasile Catana wrote:
> I am facing the same issue. I am trying to assign the "vehicle" to trip_id
> from the gtfs static. I tried to find it on open source but it seems
> nothing comes to what I need.
>
> Can you recommend one open source tool ?

I am happy to provide consultancy on using your favorite search engine in
finding such tools.

--
Stefan

adolflow

Sep 6, 2021, 5:44:02 AM9/6/21
to gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com
Dear Yash

I've been working in the development of an ontology to help users with GTFS files (and, if not, to create them) to make the data compliance with the EU Regulation. This project is SNAP, what I translated as Semantic National Access Points :-) [1].

The roadmap to get it was developing an ontology which you can use for free [2] from scratch or, having a GTFS file, convert it to Transmodel [3] through the use of the ontology and some mappings.

As far as I know this development did not reach to the identification of the vehicle in order to assign it to a trip_id (which in Transmodel is something pretty much complicated than a simple "trip") but Transmodel and NeTEx [4] had for sure a model to do it.

If you need extra information with this approach please don't hesitate to ask.

Best

Vasile Catana

Sep 7, 2021, 1:22:54 AM9/7/21
to gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com
That would be great! Thanks!

Sean Barbeau

Sep 7, 2021, 12:40:00 PM9/7/21
to GTFS-realtime
Yash,
See https://github.com/CUTR-at-USF/awesome-transit for a list of open-source GTFS Realtime tools I'm aware of.

TheTransitClock has an auto-assigner from vehicle positions to GTFS trips, but performance may vary depending on the density of your trips:

Sean

Sean Barbeau
Center for Urban Transportation Research
University of South Florida

Тролейбусен Транспорт Плевен - ЕООД

Dec 24, 2021, 9:33:55 AM12/24/21
to GTFS-realtime
Hello people,

I am 18 years old and I am a big fan of the transport. Due to this fact I decided I could be helpful for the transport in my city - I contacted with the manager of our city transport company and he authorized me to provide timetables on the Static Feed on Google Maps last year. The feed has been working for about 1 year. By the way, you can check the transport system in my city - find Pleven, Bulgaria on Google Maps. So, since the feed is working I am wondering how I can provide the Live Feed on Transit section. I read a lot but I have no acquaintances in programming and I even don't know how to start. The thing I want to do is to provide the Feed with information about the accurate position of the vehicles and the delays or earlier arrivals. If somebody from this group can help me, I will be really thankful. I need info about the program I can work with and if possible one exact example which would be like a base for the other stuff. I will probably ask a lot of questions.

If somebody is interested in helping me, please contact with me on the following emails:

Best regards,
Kaloyan Todorov