Grails 2.3 migration to Grails 3.0.2

Pavel Zakharov

Jul 9, 2015, 8:48:12 AM7/9/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
Hello, i have some question. I interested in Grails migration from oldest version. Can I make migration? Can I use spring security plugin, if not, tell me why?

Esau Rodriguez

Jul 9, 2015, 9:43:14 AM7/9/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm not an expert though, some weeks ago, we tried to migrate from 2.3.6 to 2.3.11. Finally we had to revert because a bug regarding transactions was fixed in 2.3.11, and the effort to change our codebase was too high. That was a minor version. I can't even imagine the pain you're going to suffer if you finally decide to go from 2.3.x to 3.0.2.

Best of my wishes

Regards,
Esau Rodriguez.

Jeff Scott Brown

Jul 9, 2015, 9:53:25 AM7/9/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com

> On Jul 9, 2015, at 8:43 AM, Esau Rodriguez <esa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I'm not an expert though, some weeks ago, we tried to migrate from 2.3.6 to 2.3.11. Finally we had to revert because a bug regarding transactions was fixed in 2.3.11, and the effort to change our codebase was too high. That was a minor version.

It is difficult for me to evaluate that anecdote without knowing the details of what was going to involve so much effort but in any case it is unfortunate that the work was going to be too much effort. Tuesday I updated a significantly large application for a client from 2.3.11 to 2.4.5 and that took less than an afternoon to do, including a good bit of testing to try and find problems that it turned out didn’t exist. The only issues were trivial and related to CSS because they had been using an old version of asset-pipeline that needed to be updated.

In fairness I would expect these things to be easier for me to do but in all of the cases where I have been engaged to help a client upgrade, there have never been any that were particularly complicated. If you are interested in discussing why your app was so difficult to upgrade, we would welcome that discussion. If you do want to do that, drop me a note off list and we will setup a conference call at no cost to you.

Thanks for the feedback.

JSB

Jeff Scott Brown
Principal Software Engineer
Grails Development Team
Object Computing Inc.
http://www.ociweb.com/

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Pavel Zakharov

Jul 9, 2015, 9:53:53 AM7/9/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reply, You amused me :) But we don't use the transactions.

Esau Rodriguez

Jul 9, 2015, 10:07:57 AM7/9/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
To be completely fair, I think that the problem was the size of the
project. We managed to solve most of the problems we faced with little
or no effort. But then we found like 200 tests (of a base of more
5000) were not fixed. These tests didn't look easy to fix, and we
decide to postpone the upgrade as we had some work to deliver.

I also took a look to the possibility to migrate to 2.4.5 and looks
like our code, have some problems we need to solve before that (for
instance we use static Holders), as was migrated from a previous
grails version to 2.3.

To be honest I think that migrating from 2.3.x to 2.5.x in an average
project (I think mine is big with over 200k lines of code reported by
grails stats) could be done without too much pain. But I'm not sure of
be able to say the same thing about grails 3.x.x.

Regards
Esau Rodriguez.

Esaú Rodríguez
esa...@gmail.com

Ronny Løvtangen

Jul 9, 2015, 11:23:54 AM7/9/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
I have migrated a few applications from 2.2.4 to 2.5.0 and it took from 4 to 8 hours each. That includes switching from resources to asset-pipeline, but that can be taken as a separate step (resources plugin still works in 2.5.0)
Last one was about 4500 LOC. Main issues during update was Geb tests and cache-ehcache issues.

No experience migrating to 3.x.x yet.

Ronny
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grails-dev-discuss/CAB4Jw74Dg5s3BhwjbswY%2BN5GGHmGP3OQJ2UoPvFgrJ6B3N_z-Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Pavel Zakharov

Jul 10, 2015, 2:29:22 AM7/10/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
Thank's for reply, but i can try to migrate. I found user guide for this issue https://grails.github.io/grails-doc/latest/guide/upgrading.html . And all i need to do move files and migrate build process to Gradle, but i seen, that spring-security not supported in Grails 3.x versions. And i serch solution for this trouble