GWT 3 Build System

Arnaud TOURNIER

Jun 18, 2015, 7:16:00 AM6/18/15
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I've been watching an reflecting upon the gwt meetup you had few weeks ago. And one of my concern is about a decent build system that gwt should be based upon. As for now, Bazel is not ready for Windows, and also it needs to be installed, configured and so on, which can be cumbersome and repulsive.

So i came up with an idea, i'm sure you did have it already but in any case, i will submit it here :

First, there a fact : GWT is moving towards the Web ecosystem, by being much easily and naturally integrated with the javascript world (and more to the point : ES6). This means that web projects will be mixes of javascript, java code, colsure, clojure, coffee and so on.

So to follow this philosophy, i propose not to go to the Bazel direction but more to the Web direction which would mean using a build system like "gulp" or "grunt".

Did you examine such build tools when you reviewed decent ones ?

And i've been trying "gulp" for a few weeks now, and i can tell :

 - it's very fast
 - it's task based (a bit like bazel), so conceptually it fits with the GWT requirements,
 - it can watch files for changes out-of-the-box
 - it is modular, and not a "framework", more a set of available "tools to build things".
 - it is able to launch any process, so of course it can launch javac
 - it is a standard in the web development world
 - since it is javascript, we could even write gwt's gulp build tasks with gwt ! (i think that it cannot be done straightforwardly with bazel)

I think that this can prevent Java developpers from quitting GWT and it can also bring more pure Web developpers to GWT...
It is also more consistent with the philosophy that GWT is embracing right now (IMHO)
And it will also be more natural when needing to integrate a bit of Java code in a classic Web project.

What do you think ?

Thanks

Arnaud

Daniel Kurka

Jun 18, 2015, 7:19:49 AM6/18/15
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
As a side note: We had a discussion to make j2cl be able to compile itself to JavaScript. If that is actually done you can easily integrate with all kinds of JavaScript build tools.

Arnaud TOURNIER

Jun 18, 2015, 7:41:08 AM6/18/15
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
I assume j2cl means java-to-closure-script-compiler, which will be the heart of GWT 3, is that right ?

Very good news ! This way GWT will be available for standard and cool web build systems... Great ! GWT downloadable as a npm package would be cool in fact...

Did you evaluate gulp in your study ?

Thanks
Arnaud

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "GWT Contributors" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit-contributors/CALLujip1cAtWqcBfBo6hEuB3Y%2BD3CLoE3MYtuzoisf7AQzt8Mw%40mail.gmail.com.

Thomas Broyer

Jun 18, 2015, 8:04:26 AM6/18/15
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com, lte...@gmail.com
Gradle 2.5 will come with "continuous build" too (watch files, recompile incrementally on change -- and run tests I suppose, or restart running app); similar to what SBT has had for years now (but indescribably sluggish).

Daniel Kurka

Jun 18, 2015, 8:37:31 AM6/18/15
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com, lte...@gmail.com
One other thing: It won't matter which system we use to build the new compiler.

Google internal we always use our own build system and since its very close to bazel it should work fine with bazel. If you want some kind of other integration with other build systems you can easily build them since the compiler will just be a taken the same arguments as javac anyway.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 2:04 PM Thomas Broyer <t.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
Gradle 2.5 will come with "continuous build" too (watch files, recompile incrementally on change -- and run tests I suppose, or restart running app); similar to what SBT has had for years now (but indescribably sluggish).

Arnaud TOURNIER

Jun 18, 2015, 10:02:05 AM6/18/15
to Daniel Kurka, google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
Ok great ! True that Google will always have the master hand over GWT, fair because code is committed by almost only google people ! Community has to keep that in mind.

Thanks
Arnaud

Arnaud TOURNIER

Jul 1, 2015, 12:07:29 PM7/1/15
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com, lte...@gmail.com
Hi Daniel,

Just to say : the more i think about this new GWT compiler, the more i think it's the right choice for GWT !

Great work to you all !

Arnaud