Why Iran is banned by Google?

amirtag...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2014, 11:09:37 AM10/17/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
i am iranian
i can not access to golang.org or code.google.com with real ip .
i should for access the golang.org change ip
i'm very sad
in iran
golang Iranian experts how they communicate with you?

Skip Tavakkolian

Oct 17, 2014, 11:29:36 AM10/17/14
to amirtag...@gmail.com, golang-nuts
Iran filters its internet traffic through a firewall. You'll need to use a VPN to have unimpeded access.

Michael Hofmann

Oct 17, 2014, 11:33:09 AM10/17/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Probably the result of US export regulations. I guess neither the Go
team nor Google in general can do much about it. :(
It's great though that you've found a workaround - developer communities
shouldn't be hindered by petty politics.

Benjamin Measures

Oct 17, 2014, 11:44:50 AM10/17/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Politics and law is the reason why you cannot access code.google.com from Iran:

https://code.google.com/projecthosting/terms.html
Users residing in countries on the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control sanction list, including Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria, may not post or access Content available through the Google Code website.

Skip Tavakkolian

Oct 17, 2014, 12:23:24 PM10/17/14
to golang-nuts
I stand corrected; i blamed the wrong douche-bags.

P.S. there are free vpn services like vpnbook that work with openvpn.

gerald...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2014, 12:58:51 PM10/17/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Message has been deleted

andrewc...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2014, 9:34:12 AM10/18/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
The reason is because the US government does not want any american technology helping the Iranian government proliferate nuclear tension in the middle east.
The best way to avoid that is to help create a moderate government in your country.

Micky

Oct 18, 2014, 9:43:58 AM10/18/14
to andrewc...@gmail.com, golang-nuts
Because, only Americans have god given right to exploit the nuclear stuff!

andrewc...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2014, 10:02:18 AM10/18/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com, andrewc...@gmail.com
America dictates the terms of exporting American goods. This is the fact of the matter, not opinion. It doesn't matter what you think about it.

chris dollin

Oct 18, 2014, 10:08:48 AM10/18/14
to Micky, Andrew Chambers, golang-nuts
On 18 October 2014 14:43, Micky <mickyl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Because, only Americans have god given right to exploit the nuclear stuff!

Please DO NOT LIGHT THE POLITICAL FILES HERE. Whatever the
rights and wrongs of the situation, this is not the place to fix them
or argue about how to fix them.

Chris

--
Chris "allusive" Dollin

Erfan Akbarimanesh

Oct 18, 2014, 10:49:52 AM10/18/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I agree with ehedgehog comment
I'm an Iranian, but I'm sure Google has specific reasons for this sanction
You're from any country or nationality
You're like my brother.
I'm always looking for peace and friendship among nations.
Good Luck

Michael Jones

Oct 18, 2014, 11:24:27 AM10/18/14
to Erfan Akbarimanesh, golang-nuts
It is my job to explain things like this so I will clarify that Google works to provide as much useful information as laws and regulations allow. It is not that we are "sanctioning" any nation, it merely means that we are obeying the applicable law as we understand it. It is regrettable that easy sharing of educational and scientific knowledge is not yet a universal truth. After all,  the greatest Go programmers may live in Iran.

Michael Jones

Michael T. Jones | Chief Technology Advocate  | m...@google.com |  +1 650-335-5765

a.jaim...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2014, 11:14:01 AM10/19/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com, andrewc...@gmail.com
If a moderate government needs to be created, no one better than the US for the job

andrewc...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2014, 8:33:34 PM10/19/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com, andrewc...@gmail.com, a.jaim...@gmail.com

The reasoning (logical, or illogical) for these sanctions isn't really appropriate for these forums so I apologize for bringing up any mention of the governments further than the existence of sanctions.

It's sad that the unhindered and mutual spread of progress and knowledge isn't yet universally possible.

zj huang

Oct 19, 2014, 10:27:58 PM10/19/14
to andrewc...@gmail.com, golan...@googlegroups.com
My country have the same situation, maybe you can use goagent(It's very nice, but you must use VPN when you use it first time)

Jérôme Champion

Oct 20, 2014, 4:57:40 AM10/20/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
It's a bit sad to know that contributions to this group is only for countries blessed by the USA.
It does hinder a bit the joy of contributing.
Hopefully, there quite a lot of way to go around for people targeted.

o...@getlantern.org

Oct 20, 2014, 1:47:31 PM10/20/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
There's also Lantern, on which I work.  A substantial portion of Lantern is actually written in Go, and our ambition is to port all of the remaining Java parts to Go as we enhance Lantern over the coming year.

Tor's Meek Pluggable Transport is also written in Go, and I believe Psiphon is using some Go code as well.

So, anyone who wants to use Go-based circumvention tools in order to access the Go forums has choices!

Cheers,
Ox

am...@aaomidi.com

Oct 20, 2014, 2:20:03 PM10/20/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
<rant>

This is actually a shame to be honest. B.C. Persia used to be a very scientific country who shared its knowledge with the world in the medium of books and scholars. However now since the tides have changed and the west has grown favorably stronger than the east in technology and sciences, they are restricting access to citizens of countries whom their government disagrees with the western governments.

All these sanctions on educational and open source projects is hurting the average citizen in Iran more than the government. If the government wants to use GoLang for any reason they can easily mask their IP and do it, but for someone who is just starting to learn programming and be a useful contribution to help the growth of knowledge in the world is banned by an "Access Denied" page.

Hopefully countries learn to grow up and realize that sanctioning an entire nation of 80 million people is not going to help with anything and will just cause these 80 million people look at the US nothing more than a bully.

</rant>

Devon H. O'Dell

Oct 20, 2014, 2:22:12 PM10/20/14
to o...@getlantern.org, golang-nuts
I think it's worth pointing out that nothing on this thread should be
interpreted as legal advice, and that using software to circumvent
laws in whatever region you may live may itself also be illegal. As
unfortunate as these situations are, I would recommend people also
take reasonable precaution for their own safety and livelihood before
deciding whether such actions are in their favor.

And this message is also not legal advice.

--dho
Message has been deleted

Andrew Gerrand

Oct 20, 2014, 9:08:24 PM10/20/14
to am...@aaomidi.com, golang-nuts
The golang-nuts mailing list is not for political discussions.

Thanks.

Erfan Akbarimanesh

Oct 21, 2014, 4:02:27 AM10/21/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
yes andrew i agree with you
all friends check policies in google

Fino

Oct 22, 2014, 10:00:42 AM10/22/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
it's a good way to transfer many non-IT people into IT people, and make your country's IT industry stronger; look at China today :)

在 2014年10月17日星期五UTC下午3时09分37秒,amirtag...@gmail.com写道:

Kaveh Shahbazian

Jul 17, 2018, 4:21:51 AM7/17/18
to golang-nuts
Getting packages those that reside on golang.org path is still going to be 403 - not my favorite situation.

I can go with a rant about companies in petroleum field that has access to everything "apparently" banned and things like that (I have done that before; got no feedback).

I am just a "little guy" and at my 43 still excited to do geeky stuff with a language I like! (I know; pretty teenage; whatever).

Both golang.org and golang.com (and sub domains like playground) are 403 in Iran - falling back to "whatever".

Max

Jul 17, 2018, 9:39:04 AM7/17/18
to golang-nuts
I fully agree that political discussions are out of topic on this list.

Instead, asking and trying to know **why** golang.org is not accessible from a particular country,
and what can be done about it, seem perfectly in-topic.

There is a two-year-old go issue report that examines exactly why golang.org is not accessible from Iran.
In case also github.com is not reachable by interested readers, a brief extract is:

----------------------

jbuberel commented on Aug 28, 2015

@SeMeKh We're sorry, but golang.org content isn't available in your country at this time due to cryptography libraries contained in the standard library.
----------------------

jbuberel commented on Aug 28, 2015

@SeMeKh This is due to legal restrictions outside the control of Google. For additional details, see https://epic.org/crypto/export_controls/itar.html
----------------------

remohammadi commented on May 31, 2016

@jbuberel Based on this old advisory I think golang isn't restricted by EAR from publishing its binaries, and even its pure cryptography libraries, to the public.

So, while there may be hope, at first glance it seems an U.S. export restriction rather than an Iran firewall block.

Kaveh Shahbazian

Jul 18, 2018, 1:54:44 AM7/18/18
to golang-nuts
FYI GitHub, GitLab, all things Microsoft (.NET Framework, VSCode, etc), Amazon Instances etc, etc are perfectly reachable inside Iran - whatever.

Doğan Kurt

Jul 18, 2018, 5:02:34 AM7/18/18
to golang-nuts
Complaining about it will not change anything. The only thing you'll get here is more people wishing to bring some democracy(!) to your country.

You have a Go compiler, you have endless resources of Go code through github and internet, you can obviously reach out to Go community. That should be more than enough to use and be productive in Go.

Kaveh Shahbazian

Jul 18, 2018, 6:48:46 AM7/18/18
to golang-nuts
Thank Dogan for the hint about democracy. Ironic that the very first universal declaration of human rights, were made by us Persians (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus_Cylinder) and again I can go through an endless sources of info (from internet and wikileaks and historical documents) about installed goves in 3rd world that work for benefits of other worlds but ...

But as you stated correctly complaining does not change things.

Axel Wagner

Jul 18, 2018, 7:16:38 AM7/18/18
to dc0d, golang-nuts
On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 12:48 PM Kaveh Shahbazian <kaveh.sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
But as you stated correctly complaining does not change things.

More specifically: Complaining on golang-nuts does not change things. The people on this list have very little influence over either Google's policies or US laws. Whether they agree with them or not.

Kaveh Shahbazian

Jul 18, 2018, 7:24:52 AM7/18/18
to golang-nuts
Thanks Axel,

You have corrected my incorrect impression - assuming this group to be related to Google, officially. Thanks again.

I am sorry for my mistake.

Axel Wagner

Jul 18, 2018, 7:32:40 AM7/18/18
to golang-nuts
FTR (in case you where being sarcastic), there is a difference between being "related to Google" and "able to change Google's policies". Even the people on the Go team who are employed by Google are ultimately bound by its policies and have very little influence over it. They can do little more than communicate their disagreement with them.

In my experience, most Engineers don't care a lot about export restrictions and licensing red tape and would prefer all of that to not exist and build cool stuff and make it accessible to people. I.e. as best as I can tell, you're preaching to the choir here.

Kaveh Shahbazian

Jul 18, 2018, 7:41:03 AM7/18/18
to golang-nuts
Axel, before reading your message whole I write this. I was not sarcastic and my apology was sincere.

Kaveh Shahbazian

Jul 18, 2018, 7:44:47 AM7/18/18
to golang-nuts
And yet again you are right about politics.

About coll stuff I am mostly with you, except it looses it charm, a bit, when one got stuck inside an atmosphere when half of things he does are illegal and the other half is banned and yet it has to create another half from thin air to maintain a half life!

Axel Wagner

Jul 18, 2018, 8:40:23 AM7/18/18
to dc0d, golang-nuts
FWIW, it should be fairly easy (famous last words) to run a local copy by a) getting the repo from github, b) running godoc built from source and c) make some modifications to replace golang.org-links to yourdomain.ir links for convenience. Though I might be forgetting something. And there would still likely be other resources unavailable, like godoc.org and go-get might not work with a bunch of packages (which modules and Athens would help with in the future).

Also, IANAL, I have no idea whether that would be legal/compatible with Go's licensing and everything, I'm afraid.

Kaveh Shahbazian

Jul 18, 2018, 9:06:23 AM7/18/18
to golang-nuts
We are already doing that. But at the same time there are services from inside that we need and must not go through the VPN (or any other means that we use to circumvent both filtering - by our gov - and bans - by other govs - which makes the likes of me potentially legally-unwelcome inside and outside of Iran!). And setting up things on different machines gets cumbersome.

:) And if that's true that this is not compatible with Go licensing then all open source GitHub projects made by Iranians (living inside Iran) should be shut down too because they have used Go at development time! What about contributions? Oh; we need a lawyer now! :D

Axel Wagner

Jul 18, 2018, 9:21:14 AM7/18/18
to dc0d, golang-nuts
On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 3:06 PM Kaveh Shahbazian <kaveh.sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
:) And if that's true that this is not compatible with Go licensing

Sorry to be a stickler here, but that's not what I said :) I said I am not a lawyer so I literally have no idea (I never even read an actual open source license in full). See also my earlier comment about engineers in general preferring to build cool stuff and making it available, instead of feeling encumbered by licensing issues :)

parisapa...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2019, 11:57:29 AM12/9/19
to golang-nuts
So in simpler words, Google has banned Iran, right?
because I live in Iran and being unable to access some website by our government is cruel enough but being banned by others specially google is just unbearable.
we grew up with google and we always admire its company and we don't deserve to be treated like this.
we are stuck here, just like north Korean people. dreaming loses its meaning round here...

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 7:49 AM, Erfan Akbarimanesh <mr.akba...@gmail.com> wrote:
I agree with ehedgehog comment
I'm an Iranian, but I'm sure Google has specific reasons for this sanction
You're from any country or nationality
You're like my brother.
I'm always looking for peace and friendship among nations.
Good Luck

Jan Mercl

Dec 9, 2019, 12:34:34 PM12/9/19
to parisapa...@gmail.com, golang-nuts
On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 5:57 PM <parisapa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So in simpler words, Google has banned Iran, right?

Wrong. Michael was, 5 years ago, very precise and clear about the
facts, which are exactly the opposite.

Michael Jones

Dec 9, 2019, 2:08:37 PM12/9/19
to Jan Mercl, parisapa...@gmail.com, golang-nuts
Hello parisaparvizi1994,

Your frustration feels natural and understandable to me. Jan just answered you clearly, but since my words did not help, I'm thinking to try again. Maybe I can do better this time. First though, I must be clear that I no longer speak for Google--well, at least not officially--though what I said back then is still true now.

Every country has rules concerning its citizens' actions and potential interactions with other countries.

Every company, from Mobarakeh Steel Company to Coca-Cola Inc., has a main office in its home country, such as Iran or the USA. In every case, the company is a "legal person" responsible to obey the laws of its home country as well as any other countries where it does business.

When a pair of countries have some disagreement or debate, and it takes the form of restrictions on free trade, then there will be laws shaping, restricting, or preventing commerce, import, export, or even visiting. Many pairs of countries have at least some form of this and such cases, citizens and local businesses are limited in their actions.

The United States law includes: "Title 31 → Subtitle B → Chapter V → Part 560 → Subpart B → §560.204: Prohibited exportation, reexportation, sale, or supply of goods, technology, or services to Iran." These and other regulations are the barriers you feel; barriers that do not mean the companies or people obeying the law are happy about it. Maybe Mobarakeh Steel would like to sell steel in the USA, and in much the same way, Google's stated desire is to share information helpfully with everyone everywhere.

Hopefully you can see that it is Google being banned from freely sharing to Iran and not Google banning Iran or its people from information.

Michael

P.S. Thank you Jan

Michael T. Jones
michae...@gmail.com

Space A.

Dec 10, 2019, 4:22:20 AM12/10/19
to golang-nuts
It's very interesting fact to know for everyone in this group including Google employees, that seems only Google just don't care and bans educational/scientific resources for other countries' ordinary citizens (of course govs and mils are aware of how to use VPN to access golang.org).

Davod Amirajam

Oct 29, 2022, 7:15:58 PM10/29/22
to golang-nuts
i am from iran
iran goverment ban google.com
i install offilne fire fox then .install offline  setupvpn-3.12.1.xpi
fire fox can install offline
then i connect the net
and open the setupvpn ang god blase team
but in chrome i cant find any way to install offline Extension