About the Google logo on the new Go website

759 बार देखा गया
नहीं पढ़े गए पहले मैसेज पर जाएं

Michal Strba

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
15 जुल॰ 2019, 11:40:19 am15/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts
As you all know, the new, redesigned Go website has a Google logo in the bottom right corner.

Someone opened an issue about this, worrying that with the logo, nobody will see Go as a community project: https://github.com/golang/go/issues/33021

The issue was promptly closed and locked by a Go team member, which I must admit, is kind of an unfair move.

If you read this thread on r/programming, it seems like the worries are quite justified: https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/ccidly/golang_issue_ticket_remove_the_google_logo/

I personally am fine with the logo.

What do you think? For example, Rust has no Mozilla logo on its page despite being largely funded by it.

Sam Whited

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
15 जुल॰ 2019, 11:54:49 am15/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golan...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 15, 2019, at 15:40, Michal Strba wrote:
> What do you think? For example, Rust has no Mozilla logo on its page
> despite being largely funded by it.

Google funds a great deal of Go development, but it seems extremely
narcissistic of them to put their corporate logo on something that a lot
of other people who aren't a part of Google, and don't get a paycheck
from Google have also put their time into. As you said, other
corporations don't feel the need to stick their logo all over
everything.

Go belongs to more than just Google. The copyright statement says "The
Go Contributors". Google (and the core Go team that works for them) are
just one of those Contributors. Should we put every company that's ever
signed the CLA on the website too?

—Sam

--
Sam Whited

Wojciech S. Czarnecki

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
15 जुल॰ 2019, 12:54:26 pm15/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golan...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 17:39:47 +0200
Michal Strba <faifa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As you all know, the new, redesigned Go website has a Google logo in the
> bottom right corner.
>
> Someone opened an issue about this, worrying that with the logo, nobody
> will see Go as a community project:
> https://github.com/golang/go/issues/33021
>
> The issue was promptly closed and locked by a Go team member, which I must
> admit, is kind of an unfair move.

I am not a Go team member and I appraise this as the only fair and reasonable move.
Bikeshedding about technical proposals and counter-proposals is bad enough but
at least it is in touch with the tech, so be it. Raising political rants on the issue tracker
is just stupid and rude.

> If you read this thread on r/programming, it seems like the worries are
> quite justified:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/ccidly/golang_issue_ticket_remove_the_google_logo/

Let it stay there.

> quite justified:

There.

> I personally am fine with the logo.
>
> What do you think? For example, Rust has no Mozilla logo on its page
> despite being largely funded by it.

Neither go-nuts list is a proper venue for the Big Enders and Little Enders fight.
Please keep this mailing list clean.

--
Wojciech S. Czarnecki
<< ^oo^ >> OHIR-RIPE

Sam Whited

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
15 जुल॰ 2019, 1:06:03 pm15/7/19
On Mon, Jul 15, 2019, at 16:54, Wojciech S. Czarnecki wrote:
> Neither go-nuts list is a proper venue for the Big Enders and Little
> Enders fight. Please keep this mailing list clean.

This is the place for Go discussion. Not everyone in the community has
an account on Reddit, or even GitHub, but they likely have an email.
This is probably the best place to push back against Google slowly
reeling in Go and trying to more tightly couple it with the corporation.

—Sam

B Carr

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
15 जुल॰ 2019, 1:49:10 pm15/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts
Google has spent and is spending 10s of millions of $$$ on the development of Go and all while continuously giving it away without strings attached.

And people have so much free time they complain about a tiny symbol in the upper left corner of the golang.org website?

Thank you to the Go Developers, Go Contributors and Google!

Jon Conradt

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
15 जुल॰ 2019, 6:14:14 pm15/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts
From my perspective, Google's momentum with Go is to share it more broadly and generously with an ever larger growing community of contributors. I personally don't mind the tiny logo at the bottom right of the page.

However, everyone who feels like you should feel welcome to fork the project. May I suggest a few things you should pursue in your fork:
  1. Change the name to avoid confusion, may I suggest you call it Iferr
  2. Apply your favorite version of Generics (or several)
  3. Borrow heavily from your other favorite languages, e.g. Java Exceptions may be cool.
  4. Invite Reddit to contribute comments (but not code)
You can do this because Google has chosen a BSD license. Whether or not they have a logo at the bottom right of a webpage, the license is what matters.

Now, I hope you take my advice as a friendly ribbing. Of course you can fork the language, but you'd be crazy to do the other things. :)

Jon

Dan Kortschak

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
15 जुल॰ 2019, 6:17:08 pm15/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Wojciech S. Czarnecki, golan...@googlegroups.com
Fair or not, it's pretty tone deaf. In conjunction with other
unilateral decisions that get made, it leads to a sour taste.

Space A.

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
15 जुल॰ 2019, 11:08:28 pm15/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts
Google invested in a tool for themselves, which helped a lot in getting some zillions of bucks as return. Corps open smth to communities not because they a "good", but because at some point they smart enough to make others work for free. There is no reason to keep implementation of programming language closed. Mean time there is no cross-platform library for GUI (in spite that it's called "general purpose language", not "language for servers and cli" as it looks like), and door to Android is closed. But you can say thank you for DART language and Flutter.

andrey mirtchovski

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
15 जुल॰ 2019, 11:17:14 pm15/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Space A., golang-nuts
> Google invested in a tool for themselves, which helped a lot in getting some zillions of bucks as return. Corps open smth to communities not because they a "good", but because at some point they smart enough to make others work for free.

I see a "Go Haters Handbook" in the works. I only wish Dennis Ritchie
could write the anti-foreword...

Marcin Romaszewicz

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
15 जुल॰ 2019, 11:56:31 pm15/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Space A., golang-nuts
I used to work at Google at the time that Go was created, and these are my own observations. Google isn't making zillions off Go. Google makes zillions off advertising and is trying to make money other ways, but not always very successfully. Go really was designed as a nice to use systems language and released to the community with good intentions. I've been gone from Google for a long time, but as an external observer now, I don't see them trying to subvert it in some self serving way. Look at how Oracle went after Java users for an example of what companies can do. Do you see any evidence of Google trying to position Go to make them zillions of bucks?

Wojciech S. Czarnecki

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
16 जुल॰ 2019, 5:34:14 am16/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golan...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 17:05:40 +0000
"Sam Whited" <s...@samwhited.com> wrote:

> This is the place for Go discussion.
This is the place for the Go **language and code** related **technical**
discussion.

> Not everyone in the community has an account on Reddit, or even GitHub
> but they likely have an email.

It does not imply that they are entitled to pollute go-nuts with non-technical
and highly divisive political messages.

> This is probably the best place to push back against Google slowly
> reeling in Go and trying to more tightly couple it with the corporation.

Google owned infrastructure (go-nuts is hosted on) is not the best place
"to push back against Google".

> push back against Google

It is a delusion that a bunch of **non paying** users of free goods of any
corporation can "push back against" or "demand" something from said
corporation. It was a delusion from the start that Go is not tightly coupled
with the corporation that poured $200M in Go then made it open-sourced
for all reasons some people raise as "evil" (while those are just profitable).

> —Sam

Dan Kortschak

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
16 जुल॰ 2019, 7:10:02 am16/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Wojciech S. Czarnecki, golan...@googlegroups.com
The headline of the group is "Welcome to golang-nuts, a general
discussion list for the Go Programming Language."

I'd say this is that, a discussion related to the Go Programming
Language.
मैसेज मिटा दिया गया है

Anca Emanuel

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
16 जुल॰ 2019, 8:02:05 am16/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts
Mozilla had many projects, including languages for the web.
Did they advertise about ? No. They simply take over the world.
Microsoft battle ? Nah, now they are behind.
Google is relatively new in the market. They take an open source browser engine, work with Apple and others to make some improvements.
Apple call it Safari, Google call it Chromium.
Some engineers at Google observe that their projects take unusual compile time. And that start the discussion of why ?
Or what can you do ?
When you worked on early versions of C and implemented already another in other operating system like plan 9, you sure have some ideas to improve things.
So they think they need an improved C.
This is how the story of Go begins. It is started by the brilliant Google employees.l
Some years later, is open source version 1.0 with compatible guarantee for any later version.
So, what do you think about an tiny google logo on the web page presenting the language ?
For me, that is normal. They started it.

Ian Lance Taylor

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
16 जुल॰ 2019, 9:50:46 am16/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Wojciech S. Czarnecki, golang-nuts
On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 2:34 AM Wojciech S. Czarnecki <oh...@fairbe.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 17:05:40 +0000
> "Sam Whited" <s...@samwhited.com> wrote:
>
> > This is the place for Go discussion.
> This is the place for the Go **language and code** related **technical**
> discussion.
>
> > Not everyone in the community has an account on Reddit, or even GitHub
> > but they likely have an email.
>
> It does not imply that they are entitled to pollute go-nuts with non-technical
> and highly divisive political messages.

It's fine to disagree with what Sam is saying, but I think this
response is too extreme. Sam's messages were on-topic and appropriate
for the group. While I agree that we should avoid politics in general
on golang-nuts, there's no need to avoid any politics that may arise
directly connected to the Go language or the golang.org website. But
any such political discussion needs to remain polite and respectful.
Thanks.

Ian

Space A.

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
16 जुल॰ 2019, 11:23:32 am16/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Marcin Romaszewicz, golang-nuts
Of course Google is not making money of Go directly, it would be a non-sense. As I said, it's one of the tools they invested in, which helped them in making zillions including building and maintaining infrastructure, cutting the the costs, etc. That's why it is what it is. Even if they just play a little and trough it away because it didn't work, it's pure business investment, good or bad decision of particular manager, not because they wanted to make a "gift" to society or a human kind as some trying to say in this thread.

вт, 16 июл. 2019 г. в 06:55, Marcin Romaszewicz <mar...@gmail.com>:

Space A.

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
16 जुल॰ 2019, 11:28:25 am16/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Wojciech S. Czarnecki, golang-nuts
Lol. You ARE paying Google, every time you buy almost anything in this world. It's like invisible tax. Learn how modern advertisement models works, where the main channels are and think who, at the end, pays for marketing budgets. Think about it when you'll be at the store next time.

Wojciech S. Czarnecki

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
16 जुल॰ 2019, 2:03:30 pm16/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts
On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 20:39:33 +0930 Dan Kortschak <d...@kortschak.io> wrote:
> The headline of the group is "Welcome to golang-nuts, a general discussion
> list for the Go Programming Language." I'd say this is that, a discussion related
> to the Go Programming Language.

OK. Indeed this is the intro language, so I apparently was wrong.

I apologize to Sam and to whomever else who felt uneasy reading
my objections.

Just I'd like to point at pointlessness of political discussion about
Google corporate entity and its deeds -- real or perceived -- on the
technical list. Even in a much smaller corporations technical staff has
none influence over what the board and legal department imposes on effects
of their hard work. So -- yelling here at people who do thinking and
coding that the big corpo selling or giving away their work is a "bad bad
bad corpo" is, IMO, just rude. So please direct your displeasement at the
board people, not at programmers.

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 06:50:12 -0700 Ian Lance Taylor <ia...@golang.org> wrote:

> It's fine to disagree with what Sam is saying, but I think this response is too extreme.

Just a little bit, but yes. I apologize.

JuciÊ Andrade

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
16 जुल॰ 2019, 4:30:05 pm16/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts
So a company spend millions on a tool that everybody may use freely and when they put a simple logo in the project page the sky falls down.

Are you serious, people? I find hard to believe we are discussing that.

Michal Strba

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
16 जुल॰ 2019, 5:09:56 pm16/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला JuciÊ Andrade, golang-nuts
Okay, so just to explain why I started this topic and what exactly we are talking about.

First of all, just to clear up any doubts, I have no problem with the logo. Google 100% deserves to be there.

The thing that I'm talking about is this. Every once in a white, I come across a discussion that starts like this:

A: I'm interested in Go, but I'm worried that Google [created it just for its needs / has too much power over it / will throw it away just like many other projects / doesn't care about the community / whatever, blah blah Google].
B: Well, no! Go was started by people at Google, that's true, but it's most and foremost a project led by great engineers and a great community and is not a corporate product. Google doesn't care too much about Go and Go would survive without Google.

The B guy is right!

However, many people seem to take it that since Google logo is on the page, that actually, A guy is correct and Go is a corporate Google product, that will perhaps vanish any day.

I wouldn't be worried about it if I didn't see the Reddit thread I linked, which contained many irrational opinions of this kind. Here are a few:

Well, in a way they're straight forward about it. They make it clear in this issue that Go is Google's language, the "community" around it is just allowed to send contributions that Google will include or not as they see fit.

This. They just proved that it is Google's language.

You needed proof?

Note that, by contrast, https://www.rust-lang.org/ doesn't have the Mozilla logo, even though Mozilla financially supports rust. Tells a lot about the differences in the governing models.

Google owns this language and dictates everything about it. It's only open source so we can hire better and get community contributions that we like for free

Pretty funny.. Why do people think go is not Google's language. The community gets to use it by accident. But that's ok Google was nice enough to open source it, so the community can fork whenever they feel like

I do understand that a Reddit discussion isn't particularly representative, but these are some of the opinions circulating around the world! Seeing these opinions amplified by the presence of the logo is the reasons I started this thread. Not because I had anything against the logo personally.

ut 16. 7. 2019 o 22:30 JuciÊ Andrade <oju...@gmail.com> napísal(a):
So a company spend millions on a tool that everybody may use freely and when they put a simple logo in the project page the sky falls down.

Are you serious, people? I find hard to believe we are discussing that.

Space A.

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
16 जुल॰ 2019, 6:13:39 pm16/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला JuciÊ Andrade, golang-nuts
Yep, and if you spend hours or weeks or months on contribution to this "free" tool which they claimed is owned to community, it's your problem. You just worked fo free for a great company. Be proud. Say hi to those guys who got paid and live in California.
And, btw, they not just put logo, recently they also put a trademark on language name.

вт, 16 июл. 2019 г. в 23:30, JuciÊ Andrade <oju...@gmail.com>:
So a company spend millions on a tool that everybody may use freely and when they put a simple logo in the project page the sky falls down.

Are you serious, people? I find hard to believe we are discussing that.

Aman Alam

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
16 जुल॰ 2019, 8:17:44 pm16/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Space A., JuciÊ Andrade, golang-nuts
Google has always has this thing with regards to Open Source and Community.
I remember Android OS too.
Community and Open Source when it benefits the product, and Google's TM when it suits the company.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/golang-nuts/CADKwOTcRjEGdgV7_-E0r3FBQ%3DQPNo-WF1BJqr71EbC5eQAyr6A%40mail.gmail.com.

Impossible is Nothing

Aman Alam
Bangalore, IN

Dan Kortschak

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
16 जुल॰ 2019, 8:55:01 pm16/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Space A., JuciÊ Andrade, golang-nuts
मैसेज मिटा दिया गया है

Michael Jones

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
17 जुल॰ 2019, 2:07:26 am17/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Anca Emanuel, golang-nuts
I'm a reader here, so @all includes me. In regards to Oracle, I was delighted when they released VirtualBox under GPL and remain delighted that they pay Oracle employees to enhance it and share their work. When they write (https://www.virtualbox.org)...

"VirtualBox is being actively developed with frequent releases and has an ever growing list of features, supported guest operating systems and platforms it runs on. VirtualBox is a community effort backed by a dedicated company: everyone is encouraged to contribute while Oracle ensures the product always meets professional quality criteria."

...I find that a logical explanation and a mutually beneficial outcome. The name 'Oracle' on that page does not discomfort me, nor does it upset me that the remarkable and free VS-Code admits to Microsoft's parentage--I thank them for that. I feel the same way about Google staffing Go with my computer science heroes (Ken Thompson et al!), building a wonderful language, application-level operating system, rigorous spec, two compilers, and open sourcing every bit of it. I am grateful, respectful, and absolutely stunned at your vitriol in response to gifts that none of us earned. It feels base and unseemly to me. Maybe you could reconsider your posture.

Michael Jones
Ever grateful for manna from heaven

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 9:05 PM Anca Emanuel <anca.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
@all, what do you think of Oracle ?
That is not an company, that is an monster.

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 6:40:19 PM UTC+3, Michal Strba wrote:

Michael T. Jones
michae...@gmail.com

Jan Mercl

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
17 जुल॰ 2019, 4:02:07 am17/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Michael Jones, Anca Emanuel, golang-nuts
On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 8:07 AM Michael Jones <michae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a reader here, so @all includes me. In regards to Oracle, I was delighted when they released VirtualBox under GPL and remain delighted that they pay Oracle employees to enhance it and share their work.

I'm a thankful user of Oracles's VBox.

Now, WDYT about Oracle pushing copyrighting APIs through the ever
higher court levels? Is evilness of a company computed by summing its
good and bad moves? It's a yes from me and my scorecard for Oracle
says -Inf+1.

Wojciech S. Czarnecki

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
17 जुल॰ 2019, 5:46:19 am17/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golan...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 23:06:41 -0700
Michael Jones <michae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In regards to Oracle, I was delighted when they released under GPL
> and remain delighted that they pay Oracle employees to enhance it
> and share their work.

Excuse me?!

1. VirtualBox was opensourced under GPL by its real creators, the Innotek GmbH.

2. Even before that, VirtualBox was available under so called PUEL license first
to developers then also to SMEs -- i.e. to everyone that made install by him or herself.

3. VirtualBox was acquired by the Sun Corporation in 2008 and Sun had put
quite a money to make VBox creation/administration GUI tools, including
working metal->virtual converters.

4. Then Oracle bought Sun.

Many small users expected that PUEL licensing -- as a part of Innotek acquisition
deal -- will stay. It stood for the short period Oracle lawyers needed to null PUEL
obligations Oracle inherited from Sun. Since then (v5.1 iirc) Virtualbox can
be used for free only by pupils and hobbyists. (You're out of PUEL right at
the first $1 earned on IT-related work, whether Virtualbox was involved or not).

> The name 'Oracle' on that page does not discomfort me

Me it disgusts a lot.

P.S. This is really OT for the go-nuts list, but the Oracle's "alternative facts"
that are spread in many media outlets need correction. I do not blame
Michael Jones for falling a prey to that - he's within a legion.

Hope this helps,

Michal Strba

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
17 जुल॰ 2019, 6:09:11 am17/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Wojciech S. Czarnecki, golang-nuts
Guys, why not keep the discussion to the point. Oracle is quite irrelevant here. The issue is the perception of Go among programmers.

Lucio

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
17 जुल॰ 2019, 6:54:43 am17/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts
Go is Great (I've been waiting a long time for an opportunity to say that :-) )

I use Go almost exclusively and do not cherish the thought of using something else, although I could in a pinch.

I also stopped at Go1.10 for practical reasons. But at my age that is not really that serious.

Still. I probably will not move, gradually or abruptly, to Go2: by the time that beast has taken shape, I will hopefully no longer need to make sure my code does not bit-rot. And my dream is not a bigger Go, it is a better Go, which I believe cannot be backwards compatible. What I'm saying is that Go1.10 is good enough and not going to be tugged out from under my feet by Google or anyone else.

Google have done me a huge favour thus far. Like (or unlike) Jan Mercl, I grant Google some credits for Go against many demerits for Google :-). All in all, I'm the winner, I don't care that Google is taking part in a competition I could not dream of joining.

Lucio.

Space A.

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
17 जुल॰ 2019, 12:08:58 pm17/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Michael Jones, Anca Emanuel, golang-nuts
Others already replied about Oracle, and I don't want to go OT here, just a small remark: you a wrong saying that VS Code is free. You are not paying bills directly, that's correct. But it is not quite true that you are not paying at all. It's just a different business model, first of all letting Microsoft have close connection to wide dev audience and push and advertise for own technologies, such as azure.
And if next time you start imagine that something made by corp is free, just think for a while who at the end of the day pays for the party. And where these money taken from.

ср, 17 июл. 2019 г. в 09:07, Michael Jones <michae...@gmail.com>:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/golang-nuts/CALoEmQxy2aSEQGQuUyQNUwDfc4rNYR1_YYYmw7tP2Mih8EuAzA%40mail.gmail.com.

Robert Engels

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
17 जुल॰ 2019, 12:20:00 pm17/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Space A., Michael Jones, Anca Emanuel, golang-nuts
NOTHING in life is free. Basic science and economics.

David Skinner

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
18 जुल॰ 2019, 2:20:48 pm18/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts
It is my opinion that it is only polite to acknowledge corporate sponsors in a tangible way.

The problem is if you have only one corporate sponsor. I know for a fact that members of the Smythe Group have contributed time to Go dev without compensation. Many other people have also made contributions of time while in the employ of corporate sponsors. I would love to have Davsk acknowledged as a contributor to Go but I am not that good of a programmer, I can write a few articles, answer a few questions, write a few bug reports, teach a Go class to CS students, and try very hard not to be a nuisance but that hardly qualifies me to be acknowledged even with an 8x8 pixel icon. To be fair, establish standards for display of corporate logo sponsorship, this will only enhance the prestige of the language.
  • A contribution of $1k is worth a 16x16 icon,
  • a $10k contribution is a full size logo,
  • Google contribution, maybe the logo should stretch from one side of the page to the other.
Open source programmers have families that need food and housing, they need companies that are willing to compensate them for their work. We need to give thanks for those who support the language, not just Google, but everyone.

Ian Lance Taylor

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
18 जुल॰ 2019, 2:43:32 pm18/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला David Skinner, golang-nuts
On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 11:21 AM David Skinner <skinne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is my opinion that it is only polite to acknowledge corporate sponsors in a tangible way.
>
> The problem is if you have only one corporate sponsor. I know for a fact that members of the Smythe Group have contributed time to Go dev without compensation. Many other people have also made contributions of time while in the employ of corporate sponsors. I would love to have Davsk acknowledged as a contributor to Go but I am not that good of a programmer, I can write a few articles, answer a few questions, write a few bug reports, teach a Go class to CS students, and try very hard not to be a nuisance but that hardly qualifies me to be acknowledged even with an 8x8 pixel icon. To be fair, establish standards for display of corporate logo sponsorship, this will only enhance the prestige of the language.
>
> A contribution of $1k is worth a 16x16 icon,
> a $10k contribution is a full size logo,
> Google contribution, maybe the logo should stretch from one side of the page to the other.
>
> Open source programmers have families that need food and housing, they need companies that are willing to compensate them for their work. We need to give thanks for those who support the language, not just Google, but everyone.

It's not at all the same as the web site, but I think it's worth
noting that all contributors to the Go repository are acknowledged at
https://golang.org/CONTRIBUTORS. That's not all contributors by any
means. There are many people who help the Go project by answering
questions, writing blog posts, running meetups, discussing issues and
proposals, and in many other ways. It's hard to know how to
acknowledge everybody who contributes.

Ian

Space A.

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
18 जुल॰ 2019, 10:10:12 pm18/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला David Skinner, golang-nuts
Funny thing that today Google has announced "official" store for Go-related merch, which in it's essence is a try to take away even an even tiny business opportunities for artists who were creating some goods and had a very very little outcome on this. Now they will have ZERO.

Well done Google.

andrey mirtchovski

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
18 जुल॰ 2019, 11:13:26 pm18/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Space A., David Skinner, golang-nuts
> Funny thing that today Google has announced "official" store for Go-related merch, which in it's essence is a try to take away even an even tiny business opportunities for artists who were creating some goods and had a very very little outcome on this. Now they will have ZERO.

really? throughout the years (and I've been here since the beginning)
i have spent infinitely more on non-google "go" merch than on google
go merch: stickers, t-shirts, campaigns supporting women who code,
etc, etc.

come on. get off your high horse.

Space A.

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
19 जुल॰ 2019, 1:31:43 am19/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts
Another funny thing and I'm glad that you mentioned, is that "Woman Who Go" and other known "non-google" initiatives, as you said, were founded or co-founded by "developer advocate" Ashley McNamara. I don't know what kind of contract or collaboration, or relations she had with Google or Google employees, but she was quite "official" I would say, on all these conferences. Now, she works for Microsoft. She also created and promoted own printshop with Go-related merch with help of official Go community channels: conferences, social networks, slack, etc. So, the interesting thing is that in the post in Go blog it was claimed that 100% of money from new "official" store will go to so-called non-profit org "GoBridge": https://github.com/gobridge/about-us
which is also seems to be founded or co-founded by her, along with other existing Google and (perhaps some of the) ex-Google employees: https://github.com/gobridge/about-us#leadership-team
Ashley McNamara name there on the first place.

You can Google a lot with her name and "GoBridge", "Woman Who Go" and other keywords. For example here is her Patreon where she collects donations for Go-related artworks, and also mentions that "Woman Who Go" and "GoBridge" are being merged: https://www.patreon.com/posts/women-who-go-24864094

So all money will still go to that same project but now with promotion made on very top level, in official Go Programming Language blog. Even if that org is true and registered "non-profit" org, I suspect it still pays salaries and give contracts to sub-contractors. I tried to find any financial reports and proofs or evidence of real actions taken, but all I found is some very general stuff. At least it very suspicious. I don't believe that Google can't fund such a non-profit initiative without affecting true artists.

And apparently, very unlikely, that you paid a cent to any independent artist over that years.

andrey mirtchovski

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
19 जुल॰ 2019, 1:35:53 am19/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Space A., golang-nuts
what you're doing has a term: character assassination.

please take it elsewhere. there are plenty of forums to air your grievances.

Lucio

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
19 जुल॰ 2019, 2:30:17 am19/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts

On Friday, 19 July 2019 07:35:53 UTC+2, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
what you're doing has a term: character assassination.

please take it elsewhere. there are plenty of forums to air your grievances.

- Strongly worded agreement deleted -

Lucio.

Space A.

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
19 जुल॰ 2019, 11:21:22 am19/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts
Unless there are financial reports published for passed years, my personal opinion is that accurate term could be "use of official position or office for personal gain". Quite common thing to such a big companies, tbh.
Oh, and don't forget "If you are independent artist tried to make something for community - your problem, sincerely yours, Google"
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to golan...@googlegroups.com.

Michael Jones

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
19 जुल॰ 2019, 3:17:59 pm19/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Space A., golang-nuts
You sure seem eager to post negative things from your gmail account. Do you troll only, or is there anything of substance?

If there is something about the Go language or computer programming that you wish to share it would be welcome: perhaps open source software you’ve written and want developers to know about, questions for the experts here, or maybe job positions you have for developers in your company. This is the place for such matters.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/golang-nuts/c7e6bcea-659a-4d3e-8753-07757b797b62%40googlegroups.com.

Cassandra Salisbury

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
19 जुल॰ 2019, 4:39:37 pm19/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts
I encourage everyone to take a look at the code of conduct. I have had multiple reports from this particular thread.

I understand the desire to express opinions and thoughts, but please note that you should be doing this within the bounds of our Code of Conduct.

As a reminder....

Our Standards

Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment include:

  • Using welcoming and inclusive language
  • Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
  • Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
  • Focusing on what is best for the community
  • Showing empathy towards other community members

Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:

  • The use of sexualized language or imagery and unwelcome sexual attention or advances
  • Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
  • Public or private harassment
  • Publishing others’ private information, such as a physical or electronic address, without explicit permission
  • Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting
Thank you,
Cassandra

Jan Mercl

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
20 जुल॰ 2019, 4:24:45 am20/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Cassandra Salisbury, golang-nuts
On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 10:39 PM Cassandra Salisbury <c...@golang.org> wrote:

> I encourage everyone to take a look at the code of conduct. I have had multiple reports from this particular thread.

I, for one, have no idea why. But I guess Kafka would be delighted by
this mysteriosity.

Henrik Johansson

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
20 जुल॰ 2019, 5:05:49 am20/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला Jan Mercl, Cassandra Salisbury, golang-nuts
Reports of violations are not violations.
I assume the standard coc procedure kicks in to determine if violations occurred or not.

alial...@gmail.com

नहीं पढ़ी गई,
21 जुल॰ 2019, 10:11:13 am21/7/19
ईमेल पाने वाला golang-nuts
It may be a solution to open an issue on this topic.

सभी प्रषकों को उत्तर दें
लेखक को उत्तर दें
आगे भेजें
0 नया मैसेज