My CNN geoengineering question to Sen. Cory Booker

Alan Robock

Sep 5, 2019, 8:03:21 PM9/5/19
to Geoengineering
Dear Colleagues,

Last night I attended CNN's Climate Town Hall, and asked my Senator Cory Booker a question about solar geoengineering research.  You can see it starting at 27:44 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHIMD2E6DgE&list=PL29Rq0wvBhgOcY9ew5490FwzT5U5N6CqT&index=11&t=0s  He immediately called me "Sir," and said he did not know anything about it, but would find out.  Today Rutgers got an email from his office asking for more information and I will explain what it is and why we need more resources for research.

I did not intend to embarrass him.  I submitted the same question to CNN to be asked of all 10 candidates, and they decided to invite me and have me ask it of my own Senator.  I spent 4 hours in the audience listening to Biden, Sanders, Warren, Buttigieg, O'Rourke, and Booker, and was the last person to ask a question.  It was a long time, but very interesting.  Mine was the only geoengineering question.  Booker referenced one, and it must have been to one of the four other candidates who appeared before my 4 hours.

The other interesting email I got today was the one below.  How do you recommend I answer?   My plan is to say that appearing there would give legitimacy to a "debate" about settled science.  I have not debated global warming deniers for years now for this reason.
Alan

Alan Robock, Distinguished Professor
  Associate Editor, Reviews of Geophysics
Department of Environmental Sciences             Phone: +1-848-932-5751
Rutgers University                    E-mail: rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu
14 College Farm Road            http://people.envsci.rutgers.edu/robock
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551  USA      ☮ http://twitter.com/AlanRobock

Sep 5, 2019, 8:12:54 PM9/5/19
to Geoengineering, rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu
For me the problem is that the debate is run by the Heartland Institute. I would not expect them to play fair, or to moderate in an unbiased manner. I'd want to know who the other 'experts' are going to be in advance as well.

jon

Last night I attended CNN's Climate Town Hall, and asked my Senator Cory Booker a question about solar geoengineering research. You can see it starting at 27:44 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHIMD2E6DgE&list=PL29Rq0wvBhgOcY9ew5490FwzT5U5N6CqT&index=11&t=0s<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHIMD2E6DgE&list=PL29Rq0wvBhgOcY9ew5490FwzT5U5N6CqT&index=11&t=0s> He immediately called me "Sir," and said he did not know anything about it, but would find out. Today Rutgers got an email from his office asking for more information and I will explain what it is and why we need more resources for research.

[...]

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects. Think. Green. Do. Please consider the environment before printing this email.

David Appell

Sep 5, 2019, 8:14:15 PM9/5/19
to rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu, Geoengineering
Alan, you might talk to Scott Denning of Colorado State University and watch some of his interactions with the Heartland Institute. Just Google "scott denning heartland institute" and some videos immediately pop up. He's tried to present the science to them a few times at their conferences.

David

David Appell, freelance science writer
t: @davidappell
p: +1 503-975-5614
m: Keizer, Oregon, USA

Andrew Revkin

Sep 5, 2019, 8:44:57 PM9/5/19
to Alan Robock, Geoengineering
Glad you stuck in there, Alan.

There actually was one other geoengineering question - asked by a Columbia student of Andrew Yang. His answer was pretty great:

ANDREW REVKIN
Founding Director, Initiative on Communication & Sustainability
The Earth Institute, Columbia University

+1 914.441.5556 phone/whatsapp, @revkin Twitter

Alan Robock

Sep 5, 2019, 8:49:39 PM9/5/19
to Andrew Revkin, Geoengineering
Dear Andy,

Yes, that is a great answer.  I had not seen it, as those 3 hours were while I was on the train to NY for my 4 hours.

Alan

Alan Robock, Distinguished Professor
  Associate Editor, Reviews of Geophysics
Department of Environmental Sciences             Phone: +1-848-932-5751
Rutgers University                    E-mail: rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu
14 College Farm Road            http://people.envsci.rutgers.edu/robock
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551  USA      ☮ http://twitter.com/AlanRobock

Jessica Gurevitch

Sep 5, 2019, 9:38:06 PM9/5/19
to Alan Robock, geoengineering
Alan,
Thanks for this. I watched the first 4 candidates, but I confess I fell asleep before your question, but I just watched the YouTube link. Excellently put, and an honest answer. I'm glad this is getting national attention.
And if you don't debate skeptics, the Heartland thing is probably out--the problem is the false equivalence. My only response to the denial is the consequences of Type I and Type II error: What is the worst thing that can happen if the denialist politicians are wrong and we act to reduce climate change? (economic slowdown, loss of jobs, takeover by liberals seems to be it) What is the worst thing that can happen if the scientists are wrong and we continue business as usual? (Well, you know....) [I refuse to call the denalists anything but politicians (or worse)]. To them: Do you (literally) want to bet the farm (house on the beach, etc.) that there is no chance you're wrong, denalists? Not even a 2% chance that the scientists are right?
Of course, probability is not something most people think in terms of, but they do understand gambling. Other than that, arguing or debating seems futile.
Jessica

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jessica Gurevitch
Distinguished Professor
Department of Ecology and Evolution
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5245 USA

Olivier Boucher

Sep 6, 2019, 3:06:24 AM9/6/19
to rob...@envsci.rutgers.edu, Geoengineering
Alan

I now decline such invitations because I consider them to be a trap. A symmetric one-to-one or four-to-four debate with skeptics does not work in the eyes of the public. It becomes a rhetoric thing. The public gets out that the scientists disagree, which is the primary objective of the organizer. This is a pity bceause beyond climate change there is a real debate to have on energy choices and so on.

Olivier (depuis / from smartphone)

Andrew Lockley

Sep 6, 2019, 6:54:39 AM9/6/19
to olivier...@lmd.jussieu.fr, Alan Robock, geoengineering
I think that the list of questions heartland presented is very interesting

 far from being settled science, many of these are open questions and I think you can make an important contribution
 you can always state that you will not get drawn into a debate about what is settled science, and decline to answer questions in that regard.

Klaus Lackner

Sep 6, 2019, 2:17:00 PM9/6/19
to rev...@gmail.com, Alan Robock, Geoengineering

You can’t convince people who are already convinced.  This email offers you an opportunity to change someone’s mind.

Klaus

Hawkins, David

Sep 6, 2019, 2:19:53 PM9/6/19
to rev...@gmail.com, Alan Robock, Klaus....@asu.edu, Geoengineering
The audience is not the people in the room.  The audience is the people who will receive the spin about the meeting and Heartland, not you, will control that activity.

Sep 6, 2019, 2:31:14 PM9/6/19
to Gernot Wagner, David Hawkins, rev...@gmail.com, Klaus....@asu.edu, Geoengineering
Yes, I already told them no.  I just thought others would find this request interesting.
Alan