FireWork Dependence Diagram

Xiaohui Qu

Jun 2, 2016, 5:25:11 PM6/2/16
to fireworkflows
I am wondering if there is a diagram command that visualize the dependence of FireWorks inside a Workflow. If such a function is available, it would made it easier for me to verify whether I specify the job dependences correctly.

Xiaohui Qu

Jun 2, 2016, 5:42:06 PM6/2/16
to fireworkflows

Xiaohui Qu

Jun 2, 2016, 5:42:39 PM6/2/16
to fireworkflows
BTW, I mean graphically showing the dependence chart.

David Dotson

Jun 2, 2016, 5:54:11 PM6/2/16
to Xiaohui Qu, fireworkflows

Hi Xiaohui,

The web gui will give this for you. Check out how to start it up from the docs.

If you click on a running workflow, you'll then see a nicely-rendered diagram of the workflow with its current status.

David

Xiaohui Qu

Jun 2, 2016, 5:56:13 PM6/2/16
to David Dotson, fireworkflows
It is very nice. Thanks a lot.

Anubhav Jain

Jun 2, 2016, 5:57:37 PM6/2/16
to fireworkflows, xhqu...@gmail.com
I agree that the web gui will do this. Xiaohui, I am guessing you are familiar with this feature already based on your past experience. If you want to visualize the dependencies *before* putting it in the database, you have two options:

- (easy fix) - add the workflow to a temporary database (e.g. local) and run the web gui tool on that
- add a feature, e.g. one that reuses the webgui code but can operate from any workflow (not just one in the DB). This should actually be pretty simple to do.

At one point there was a graph feature that used the networkx library and could print the graph to the shell, but it was broken so I removed it. See this commit: b50301cb4801c56cbb30710940fc4f22e48671c8

Best,
Anubhav

Xiaohui Qu