Tardigrade​s​​ entanglement and Alcor

John Clark

Dec 29, 2021, 10:48:39 AM12/29/21
to 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
If you have normal vision under the right circumstances you can see objects as small as 0.1 millimeters, a Tardigrade is a micro animal about 1.5 millimeters across. On December 16 an article about Tardigrades was published that I found interesting for two reasons:

1) A Tardigrade was cooled down to 0.00005 Kelvin and kept at that temperature for 420 hours, when it was warmed up again it did not turn into mush but came back to life completely unharmed; it is the coldest anybody has ever cooled down a complex multicellular animal and have it survive. By contrast ALCOR stores human brains at 77.0 Kelvin.

2) While the Tardigrade was super cold it was put into a quantum entangled state, aka a Schrodinger's cat state.

ett

Brent Meeker

Dec 29, 2021, 2:37:22 PM12/29/21
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
An interesting experiment.  But it illustrates the fact that entanglement is not between particles or objects or cats.  It's between variables that may belong to particles or objects or cats.  So the fact that something has a permittivity which allows it to become entangled with an oscillator doesn't have much to do with it being alive.

Brent

John Clark

Dec 29, 2021, 2:42:09 PM12/29/21
On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 2:37 PM Brent Meeker <meeke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> the fact that something has a permittivity which allows it to become entangled with an oscillator doesn't have much to do with it being alive.

I agree, but it is a dramatic demonstration that quantum weirdness can reach all the way into our everyday macro world.