Key Question

ghost...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2018, 12:48:30 AM1/4/18
to EncryptPad
Is the key itself encrypted? Is that what the passphrase is for when opening a file that is protected by key only?

I thought that the idea was to use a passphrase /or/ a key.

I'm looking to use encryptpad as my primary password manager, and trying to understand it better.

Thanks

ghost...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2018, 12:50:35 AM1/4/18
to EncryptPad

i think i just answered my own question. i used kleopatra to decrypt my key, then used the decrypted key to load the my key-only encrypted text file with no passphrase prompts.

Evgeny Pokhilko

Jan 4, 2018, 8:28:22 PM1/4/18
to ghost...@gmail.com, EncryptPad
Yes, correct. The key is a random sequence of bytes symmetrically encrypted and stored in OpenPGP format by default (more on this here https://evpo.net/encryptpad/default.aspx#key-file)