Creating user steps

Mauricio Tavares

Mar 18, 2020, 12:41:27 PM3/18/20
to emulab-admins
Could anyone point me to the instructions on creating a user? https://gitlab.flux.utah.edu/emulab/emulab-devel/-/wikis/install/Creating%20the%20First%20Project shows how to add a user to a project, but I would think the emulab web interface must be aware of its existence somehow. But just being a local (to boss) user does not suffice, which makes me think the user is created within emulab... somehow (I am in the red dot mode and have so far not found where to create a user  within the web interface).

So, could a gentle soul nudge me towards what I am overlooking?

Leigh Stoller

Mar 18, 2020, 12:46:19 PM3/18/20
to emulab...@googlegroups.com
at 9:41 AM, Mauricio Tavares <raub...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could anyone point me to the instructions on creating a user? https://gitlab.flux.utah.edu/emulab/emulab-devel/-/wikis/install/Creating%20the%20First%20Project shows how to add a user to a project, but I would think the emulab web interface must be aware of its existence somehow. But just being a local (to boss) user does not suffice, which makes me think the user is created within emulab... somehow (I am in the red dot mode and have so far not found where to create a user within the web interface).

Hi. This part of the instructions are little out of date. In the upper left,
click on the icon. And then send me a screen shot please. I think your defs
file is missing a few things.

Leigh

Mauricio Tavares

Mar 24, 2020, 10:20:46 AM3/24/20
to emulab...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for talking so long to reply. Here is the screen capture; I also
thought you might want to see what the admin menus show when I am in
red dot mode
emulab_2020-03-24_01.png
emulab_2020-03-20.png
emulab_2020-03-24_02.png

Leigh Stoller

Mar 24, 2020, 10:35:03 AM3/24/20
to emulab...@googlegroups.com
at 7:20 AM, Mauricio Tavares <raub...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for talking so long to reply. Here is the screen capture; I also
> thought you might want to see what the admin menus show when I am in
> red dot mode

Thanks. So two things, 1) can you please send me your defs file.
That you can send to me directly.

2) In the upper right, where it says elabman, click on that and logout.
Then in the upper right, click on Sign Up (or Log In, then Sign Up).
Click the Start Project radio button, and create an account for yourself
and a new project name).

The you can log back in as elabman, go red-dot, and in the Admin menu
dropdown click on Approve New Project. Click on the thumbs up icon.
Then you can logout and log back in as yourself.

Leigh

Mauricio Tavares

Mar 24, 2020, 3:31:51 PM3/24/20
to emulab...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:35 AM Leigh Stoller <lbst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> at 7:20 AM, Mauricio Tavares <raub...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry for talking so long to reply. Here is the screen capture; I also
> > thought you might want to see what the admin menus show when I am in
> > red dot mode
>
> Thanks. So two things, 1) can you please send me your defs file.
> That you can send to me directly.

Done!

> 2) In the upper right, where it says elabman, click on that and logout.
> Then in the upper right, click on Sign Up (or Log In, then Sign Up).
> Click the Start Project radio button, and create an account for yourself
> and a new project name).
>
> The you can log back in as elabman, go red-dot, and in the Admin menu
> dropdown click on Approve New Project. Click on the thumbs up icon.
> Then you can logout and log back in as yourself.

Thanks! Is there a page on the wiki for creating new users I
missed? Also, as of now I can create a project while creating an user
but not afterwards; that is probably due to something wrong in my defs
file...

> Leigh

Leigh Stoller

Mar 24, 2020, 3:43:00 PM3/24/20
to emulab...@googlegroups.com
at 12:31 PM, Mauricio Tavares <raub...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks! Is there a page on the wiki for creating new users I
> missed? Also, as of now I can create a project while creating an user
> but not afterwards; that is probably due to something wrong in my defs
> file…

Hi. Users are always associated with a project, so a new user either
creates a project or joins a project. An existing user can log in, and join
more projects, or create more new projects.

Once you log in as yourself, click on your name in the upper right,
then select Start/Join project.

Thanks for defs file, I will look at it today.

Leigh

Leigh Stoller

Mar 24, 2020, 6:31:18 PM3/24/20
to emulab...@googlegroups.com
at 12:31 PM, Mauricio Tavares <raub...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thanks. So two things, 1) can you please send me your defs file.
>> That you can send to me directly.
> Done!

Hi. I looked at your defs file, and generally it’s fine. Couple of
little things.

1) You are sending all of the email lists to one place. You definitely want
to send TBOPSEMAIL and TBAPPROVALEMAIL to a list that people read, and all
the other stuff to a place where it is available for debugging and post
mortem analysis. tbops and tbapproval are things that need immediate
attention.

2) You defined a segmented network, do you have a router handling the
routing between these subnets? This happens a lot, most often people
really want the “flat” network definitions that are later in the file.

Leigh

Mauricio Tavares

Mar 27, 2020, 8:24:06 AM3/27/20
to emulab...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 6:31 PM Leigh Stoller <lbst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> at 12:31 PM, Mauricio Tavares <raub...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Thanks. So two things, 1) can you please send me your defs file.
> >> That you can send to me directly.
> > Done!
>
> Hi. I looked at your defs file, and generally it’s fine. Couple of
> little things.
>
> 1) You are sending all of the email lists to one place. You definitely want
> to send TBOPSEMAIL and TBAPPROVALEMAIL to a list that people read, and all
> the other stuff to a place where it is available for debugging and post
> mortem analysis. tbops and tbapproval are things that need immediate
> attention.

Thanks! As of now that is a expected behaviour: we are testing
it. But when we go production (whatever that means in this setting),
we will do a better job of assigning the email addresses.

> 2) You defined a segmented network, do you have a router handling the
> routing between these subnets? This happens a lot, most often people
> really want the “flat” network definitions that are later in the file.

We do have routers and switches to keep the subnets happy. With
that said, I expect things to change some with time as we get more
experience with it and decide what it needs to do to be what we want
(which we might only learn down the line). So, I better off ensure the
entire kit and kaboodle can be quickly recreated.

Incidentally, I have a few screen captures I would like to add to
https://wiki.emulab.net/wiki/install/first-proj.html and maybe massage
it to reflect what was talked on this thread.

> Leigh

Leigh Stoller

Mar 27, 2020, 8:30:02 AM3/27/20
to emulab...@googlegroups.com
at 5:23 AM, Mauricio Tavares <raub...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Incidentally, I have a few screen captures I would like to add to
> https://wiki.emulab.net/wiki/install/first-proj.html and maybe massage
> it to reflect what was talked on this thread.

Uh oh, this is the current installation wiki:
https://gitlab.flux.utah.edu/emulab/emulab-devel/-/wikis/install/Creating%20the%20First%20Project

Let me check to see how to get you write access to the wiki.

Leigh