process mouse or keyboard input without clearing slide?

JACanterbury

Jan 9, 2014, 11:46:29 AM1/9/14
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was hoping for a few pointers to save me going down too many dead ends.

I want to display an image full screen and then get the participant to click at various points of interest around the screen.

The might click many times.

I will terminate either on a timer, or possibly by keyboard input

Wherever the participant clicks, I want to display a marker on the screen at the location they clicked.

I need to record somehow in a results file where and when they clicked.

Does anyone done anything similar before or have any advice?

I was thinking that perhaps it could be done all in ebasic without any slide objects. can i create and display a slide, and sub objects all from code and then just loop around waiting for mouse/keyboard input?

Alternatively, is it possible to process input on a normal slide without the slide being terminated?

Many thanks for your inspiration/advice,

John

Paul Groot

Jan 10, 2014, 6:34:10 AM1/10/14
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

I've modified the following example a bit to simplify it so it should work as you described:
http://pfcgroot.nl/e-prime/83-example-scripts/84-image-selection-example.html

This is the simplified version:

The main trick in both examples, is that a stimulus is shown with a duration of zero. However, the image will stay on screen while a List object is used to handle individual mouse clicks. Visual click position feedback is done with a few canvas calls. The tricky part is to terminate the list after a specific timeout. This is done by dynamically setting the duration of the response object, because just setting the 'terminate after' property of the list will only check the time after each click.

Best
Paul

JACanterbury

Jan 10, 2014, 11:47:01 AM1/10/14
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Paul. Just seen this. Sounds hopeful (and interesting) - I will give it a go on monday.

Have a nice weekend,

cheers,

John