DOI Error Message

Richard Dennis

Apr 11, 2020, 5:15:37 PM4/11/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Hello All,

Running DSpace 6.2
Linux Ubuntu 16.04
Oracle DB

I get this error message the following error  Date:    4/11/20 8:00 PM

Update DOI doi:10.22006/dspacebeta-84 for ITEM with ID 99c212b0-c1aa-4fa1-925a-c1d800d5a07a failed:

BAD_ANSWER

Can anyone out there assist me with this error message.

Is it in my dspace.cfg ?

According to Data Cite all is ok at their end.

what should I do?

Many thanks in advance

Richard Dennis

University Library of Southern Denmark

Paul Münch

Apr 14, 2020, 1:36:34 AM4/14/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Hello,

this error is thrown if an unhandled HTTP response status occurs. Here the code snippet: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-6.2/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/identifier/doi/DataCiteConnector.java#L469-L500.

You should find a message ‚While reserving the DOI …‘ in the ‚dspace.log‘. Check the HTTP status code in this message.

I hope this helps and kind regards,

Paul Münch

Richard Dennis

Apr 14, 2020, 7:29:53 PM4/14/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Hello Paul,

Thank you for providing the link, unfortunately, I am unable to figure out how to solve this error and more importantly where do I solvethe problem.
Your help is most needed in solving this matter.

thank you

Richard Dennis

Paul Münch

Apr 16, 2020, 1:46:48 AM4/16/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Hello Dennis,

we need more information. Could you share the log message with us?

Did you test manually a connection to DataCite from your machine? Maybe it is a system not a DSpace issue.

Kind regards,

Paul Münch

Richard Dennis

Apr 16, 2020, 7:02:22 PM4/16/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Hello Paul,

The DataCitre works perfectly, I have tested it and it works just great
here is the error message I am receiving

Date:    4/16/20 8:00 PM

Update DOI doi:10.22006/dspacebeta-84 for ITEM with ID 99c212b0-c1aa-4fa1-925a-c1d800d5a07a failed:

BAD_ANSWER

Hope this helps

Richard Dennis
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dspac...@googlegroups.com.

Paul Münch

Apr 17, 2020, 1:11:14 AM4/17/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Hello Dennis,

> The DataCitre works perfectly, I have tested it and it works just great

So DataCite registered the DOI correct and it is resolvable?

> here is the error message I am receiving

For more information about the HTTP status we need the error message from log file ([dspace-dir]/logs/dspace.log). Do you have access to it?

Kind regards,

Paul Münch
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dspace-tech...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dspace-tech/a36092d7-45e3-4619-96e8-886361ea6096%40googlegroups.com.

Richard Dennis

Apr 19, 2020, 6:49:13 PM4/19/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Dear Paul,

See attached the log file as requested.

Regards,

Richard
dspace.log.2020-04-19

Paul Münch

Apr 20, 2020, 2:41:14 AM4/20/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Dear Richard,

could you please copy the specific log message. I don’t want to read your whole log file by myself. And maybe there are some privacy issues that I don’t want to have anything to do with.

Kind regards,

Paul Münch
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dspace-tech...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dspace-tech/c9595b11-5be1-4564-9b37-fb245c1494d2%40googlegroups.com.
> <dspace.log.2020-04-19>

Oliver Goldschmidt

Apr 20, 2020, 2:57:04 AM4/20/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Hello Richard,

I think I have seen this error in a context, where you try to send invalid XML to DataCite. This is specific to the item you want to register/reserve/update. You can see the XML output, which is sent to DataCite with this command:

./bin/dspace dsrun org.dspace.content.crosswalk.XSLTDisseminationCrosswalk DataCite <handle>

Just replace <handle> with the handle of your item (I'm not sure, if this will work with an internal ID, though). This might help to find the issue with your record...

Best
Oliver

Richard Dennis

Apr 20, 2020, 6:14:16 PM4/20/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Dear Oliver,

I am not sure what you mean and I am not sure what you mean can you explain in greater detail what you mean and what I should change the handle with.
I am totally lost at this point in this troubleshooting of DOI

Regards,

Richard

Richard Dennis

Apr 21, 2020, 3:47:35 PM4/21/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Dear Paul,

My apologies for sending you the full log file,

Please find below a snippet of the error message in the dspace.log file

".
2020-04-19 04:00:38,839 ERROR org.dspace.identifier.doi.DOIOrganiser @ It wasn't possible to update this identifier:  doi:10.22006/dspacebeta-84 Exceptions code:  BAD_ANSWER
org.dspace.identifier.doi.DOIIdentifierException: Unable to parse an answer from DataCite API. Please have a look into DSpace logs.
at org.dspace.identifier.doi.DataCiteConnector.reserveDOI(DataCiteConnector.java:500)
at org.dspace.identifier.doi.DataCiteConnector.updateMetadata(DataCiteConnector.java:582)
at org.dspace.identifier.DOIIdentifierProvider.updateMetadataOnline(DOIIdentifierProvider.java:420)
at org.dspace.identifier.doi.DOIOrganiser.update(DOIOrganiser.java:594)
at org.dspace.identifier.doi.DOIOrganiser.runCLI(DOIOrganiser.java:240)
at org.dspace.identifier.doi.DOIOrganiser.main(DOIOrganiser.java:71)
at org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.runOneCommand(ScriptLauncher.java:229)
at org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.main(ScriptLauncher.java:81)
2020-04-19 04:00:39,138 WARN  org.dspace.identifier.doi.DataCiteConnector @ While reserving the DOI doi:10.22006/dspacebeta-124, we got a http status code 404 and the message "<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<title>Error</title>
</head>
<pre>Cannot POST /metadata/</pre>
".
2020-04-19 04:00:39,153 ERROR org.dspace.identifier.doi.DOIOrganiser @ It wasn't possible to update this identifier:  doi:10.22006/dspacebeta-124 Exceptions code:  BAD_ANSWER
2020-04-19 04:00:39,420 WARN  org.dspace.identifier.doi.DataCiteConnector @ While reserving the DOI doi:10.22006/dspacebeta-81, we got a http status code 404 and the message "<!DOCTYPE html>
2020-04-19 04:00:39,435 ERROR org.dspace.identifier.doi.DOIOrganiser @ It wasn't possible to update this identifier:  doi:10.22006/dspacebeta-81 Exceptions code:  BAD_ANSWER
2020-04-19 04:00:39,716 WARN  org.dspace.identifier.doi.DataCiteConnector @ While reserving the DOI doi:10.22006/dspacebeta-82, we got a http status code 404 and the message "<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<title>Error</title>
</head>
<pre>Cannot POST /metadata/</pre>

thank

Richard

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dspace-tech/c9595b11-5be1-4564-9b37-fb245c1494d2%40googlegroups.com.
> <dspace.log.2020-04-19>

Oliver Goldschmidt

Apr 22, 2020, 2:56:23 AM4/22/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Dear Richard,

sorry for being unclear. My idea was, that your problem had something to do with the item you wanted to register/reserve or update at DataCite. But your logfile snippets do not fit into this idea, so I guess I was wrong with that...

Anyway, what I was proposing was to look into the XML data, that is being sent to DataCite. You can see the XML output with the DSpace Command Line Tool by typing

[dspace-dir]/bin/dspace dsrun org.dspace.content.crosswalk.XSLTDisseminationCrosswalk DataCite <handle>
In order to have that working you need the handle of the items (the DOI is not enough).

For toubleshooting it might be helpful to see the output of your doi organiser. You can see what the doi-organiser will do, when you use the same command line tool, too:

[dspace-dir]/bin/dspace doi-organiser -l

This command should show you, what the doi-organiser will do and you can use the dsrun command to see, what XML data will be sent to DataCite when you execute the doi-organiser for reservation with [dspace-dir]/bin/dspace doi-organiser -r (I guess this is the point where you get the error, isn't it?).

Is my troubleshooting approach clearer now?

Best
Oliver

Paul Münch

Apr 22, 2020, 4:46:29 AM4/22/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Dear Richard,

are you sure that the DOIs are successfully updated? In the DataCite Fabrica UI you can check the last update date of specific DOIs.

It seems that the DataCite API against you want to update, do not accept POST request. Do you have configured the right API-URL in '$dspace-dir/config/spring/api/identifier-service.xml‘ (https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-6.3/dspace/config/spring/api/identifier-service.xml)?